How do you conquer comprehension? (1 Viewer)

j92

HSC
Hey, whenever my teacher gives us practices exams, i do pretty good in the essay and creative writing sections, but the comprehension isnt good.

How do you conquer this section?

nerd4lyf

HSC
SAME PROBLEM ERE

got 78 in the year 10 certificate :(:(

waz expecting more az english iz 1 of my fav subjektz

any tipz ppl?>

sb.neethu

HSC
I am in no way capable of answering your question as I myself am quite confused about the recommended approach towards comprehensions. However, from the experience I have gained so far its just about understanding the texts you are presented with and applying your knowledge of the common techniques that are used while analysing poems/texts/images.

However, it is also important to realise that certain questions carry more marks than others and if you do experience difficulty in time management, cut down on the amount of time spent on those silly :)rofl:) one mark questions by keeping those answers to the point while elaborating your observations of the texts in the bigger questions which require more insight.

And just PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE and keep a cool head during the exam and you will be fine.. :headbang:

j92

HSC
yeah...i got 77 in the school certificate and i was prrtty schocked cause english was my best all year..probs compreheenson

lizziegirl

HSC
N/A
brush up on your technique analysing skills. that essentially is what comprehension is about - analysis. so things like poetic techniques (the stimulus in the paper always includes a poem), images (which they also incl), short stories etc. familiarise yourself with them.

the points they give you that are written on the side is also an indicator of how much you should write/what you should include. e.g. 2 point question = 1 mark for technique + 1 mark for telling the audience about the technique. 4 point question = 2 techniques and brief discussion of these techniques. use a highlighter !

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)