How do you convince ur parents (1 Viewer)

chooky_girl26

Lyshiez
HSC
Uni Grad
After xmas i want to go and visit my bf in port headland as i will have time off how do i convince my parents to let me go?

Emma-Jayde

Muahahahaha
HSC
Be nice to them. And beg and grovel.
Point out all the good things you could gain from going, how it won't be interrupting study because you're finished school, that you'll be responsible and you won't do anything they won't like.

Otherwise, you could just go. Sometimes it's easier to get forgiveness than permission. But I really don't reccommend that unless you know there is no other option...

Skittled

What did the crab do?
HSC
We don't know your parents, and I'm not willing to assume why they, or you presume, they won't let you go. Maybe a little more information would help?

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC
Be good. Study a lot. Don't go out too much.

Actually, the way I got my parents to accept both the fact that I have a boyfriend, and my boyfriend himself, was by continuous rebellion. It was long and painful, but now we're a happy family. :D

When you're asking them, prepare some reasons why you should go, so that you won't be shot a million questions with no comeback. :rolleyes:

In total concordance with Skittled - tell us more.

By the way Skittled - your siggy photo is gorgeous <3. Are you guys really married? :p

chooky_girl26

Lyshiez
HSC
Uni Grad
Okies
mum and dad know of us his come to nsw twice when he has been able to get time off work... i'll be 17 in december turning 18 next july... and the thing is mum is scared that something will hapen to me... and wont let be grow up... i've had to rebell alot to get to where i am currently. It wasn't until this year that my parents allowed me to go to partys and get in my friends cars because instead of asking i told her what i was doing... but it isn't as if i was going out all the time and not studying... i am constantinly studying... i wanted a break... i've never been on a plane... i've never met my bf's family and friends and never left nsw.... that is why i want to go at the end of the year... but mum thinks that i will move there and never come back.. when i want to holiday their and look around and meet my bf's family and form a relationship with them and then come back for uni and to study. .... it isn't like i'm running away... plus my parents wouldn't let me go to schoolies even though my whole group is going..... she my escape instead of schoolies would be to visit my bf.... ne way... thats the story.... i thinkit is a matter of mum and dad.... realising i want to do my own thing now and letting me go... and realising that at least i am happy compared to not being allowed and not being happy... i already said i wouldn't go until after christmas for my parents.... hmmmm ne ways

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
tell her you can't go to schoolies so this would be something different you want to do

rather than asking straight out drop hints now

make her realise you don't want to go there but that also stopping you from going is not going to stop you from running away. if you like it, you'll like it and stay, not letting you go is not going to change that.

ioniser

HSC
well first you should create your limits so that they are high,so that when you getting into arguments at the least when you drop down you get what you want.

LIke for example when i go out i know i need about 50 bucks.But instead i ask for a 100bucks,where my target is 50 bucks and i know when they start questioning they are gonna give me 50 bucks therefor it works for me cause thats how much i need.where on the other hand if i ask for 50 they will drop it to 20

you get me

Skittled

What did the crab do?
HSC
Dreamerish*~ said:
By the way Skittled - your siggy photo is gorgeous <3. Are you guys really married? :p
(Don't want to hijack the thread, so I'll be quick) No, we were just models for a day for a wedding company! :D Soo much fun, and such beeeautiful photos!

Answer to original thread:

I agree it's about your parents letting you go, but on the other hand, they're just trying to protect you by doing what they feel is best. I had a girlfriend in late high school whose parents were many times worse than yours, and it makes things difficult from both sides (for both the boy- and girlfriend, AND the parents). Just gotta remember that they're trying to do the best for you that they can, based on their X years of combined experience, regardless of what you think is best for you, based on your 17 years (of which probably only about 7 (give or take) are actually being considered)...

Regarding getting them to let you go, it's a trust issue in a sense. It's not a lack of trust for you, but a lack of trust for the environment you're in. IT's a bit of a circular situation by the look of it -- they won't let you out, so you can't prove to them you'll be okay when they do let you out. In my opinion, somehow you'd need to establish some independance and prove to them that you're capable. If you had more time, rather than just the two months or so 'till christmas, this'd be a LOT easier.

If you haven't already, I'd make sure you know --inside out and back to front-- the situation you'd be going to. Make sure there's permission to stay somewhere when you're up there, make sure you'll have your mobile phone and give them a contact point when you'd be up there. Don't plan it all out, but make sure when they ask something you don't say "uh... I don't know". Assure them that you'll not do anything stupid -- and then DON'T DO ANYTHING STUPID, regardless of how you think it'll turn out.

I don't know what your relationship with your parents is like, but if I were in your situation I'd sit down with them and talk to them.. almost hypothetically at first. Tell them you've been invited to go away at christmas -- dont say "I want to go away", but that you've been invited away, and you'd like to go through the motions of considering it, and tht you want to include your parents in that consideration. ...if you get too forceful in my experience, they'll get forceful in the opposite direction. If need be, don't ask for a decision-- just get them to think about it... if you push for a decision on the spot they're likely to say no (or, I would be, anyway!)

...that's how I'd get the ball rolling, anyway, but that would depend on your relationship with your parents...

Last edited:

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Skittled said:
(Don't want to hijack the thread, so I'll be quick) No, we were just models for a day for a wedding company! :D Soo much fun, and such beeeautiful photos!
I wish i looked that good in a wedding dress :(

Comrade nathan

HSC
Run into your room crying and yelling "i hate you mum and dad, i wish i was dead" and then put on simple plan.

They will find you so pathetic and be so shock as how much of a petty bitch you are, they will let you do anything you want.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Or laugh their heads off, disown you and then tell you to get out of the house :p

The thing with parents is trust, if they know the guy and trust him, and are pretty liberal (parents present helps a bit) then your chances are up. If not, then don't expect anything short of a miracle when you ask. If your bf is a shifty kind of guy, and all they know him for is coming over late, going into your room, and coming back out a few hours later, you're in deep shit if they arent liberal in the sex department.

tractor_chic

HSC
N/A
how is he your boyfriend when he lives so far away? u must really like him 2 b prepared 2 travel all that way 2 c him!

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC
aj_number_10 said:
wat were u born in 1864 or somthing?
It works, that's all we need to know. It gives you an excuse to go out if your parents are too strict.

No, I was not born in 1864. What a fucking stupid question.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Dreamerish*~ said:
No, I was not born in 1864. What a fucking stupid question.
One entry found for sarcasm.
Main Entry: sar·casm
Pronunciation: 'sär-"ka-z&m
Function: noun
Etymology: French or Late Latin; French sarcasme, from Late Latin sarcasmos, from Greek sarkasmos, from sarkazein to tear flesh, bite the lips in rage, sneer, from sark-, sarx flesh; probably akin to Avestan thwar&s- to cut
1 : a sharp and often satirical or ironic utterance designed to cut or give pain <tired of continual sarcasms>
2 a : a mode of satirical wit depending for its effect on bitter, caustic, and often ironic language that is usually directed against an individual b : the use or language of sarcasm <this is no time to indulge in sarcasm>
synonym see WIT
*cough* Somehow i dont think he was asking the question in a literal sense.

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC
AsyLum said:
*cough* Somehow i dont think he was asking the question in a literal sense.
I knew that. :rolleyes:

Fucking stupid in the sense that it's beyond lame.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Dreamerish*~ said:
I knew that. :rolleyes:

Fucking stupid in the sense that it's beyond lame.
Forgive me, you and intelligence don't really appear to gel well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)