How do you cope with a bad teacher? (1 Viewer)

Alaranth

My chemistry teacher is making life hell. He asks our oppinions when he's already made up his mind, he's sexist, he spends half the lesson telling my friend she'll never do any good. He said we can all pick our own option, so I picked Biochemistry, cos thats what I'm interested in. Next lesson, we can do whatever elective we want, EXCEPT biochemistry.
Mostly I think it's just a total personality clash. He's a dickhead wanker, from my point of view, and I'm sure I'm not his cup of tea either.
Anyway, the point is, what can I do abot it? There's only one chem class at my school, so I can't move to another class. I asked my year adviser if I could do distance ed instead, but our principal won't let me.
Anyone got any coping strategies? Anything would be welcome.

spooky's.gal

HSC
maybe try going direct to the principal and asking/requesting distance ed. point out how much difficulty you are having. dont directly say that the teacher is a wanker :) just tell the pricipal that you cant understand the way that he teaches the class, or that u have difficulty learning from the way he teaches, some crap like that. dont blame the teacher straight off or they wont listen (i learned that from experience), tell them how you really want to do well and learn the work, but that you cant-not coz he cant teach, coz you dont get it due to the way he is teaching it.
if that doesnt work then is there some way you could do the work outside of class or anything? at my school the chem or bio class (not sure which it is) sometimes splits up and everyone does their elective work, some ppl go to the library, others to different labs to do the work, etc. is there some way you could do it kinda by distance, but still through the school and same teacher or something like that?
why did they say you couldnt do distance ed? if its because the class is already at the school then thats bull -at my school kids who changed schools during 11-12 had subjects on at the same line when they moved to our school, so even though the classes were running they had to do distance ed for one subject and did the other normally.

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
Tutoring in order to understand the work. That is, if you can't teach yourself. I dont know if chem is a "teach yourself" or not so you have to be the judge of that. I'd say stay low and keep out of his way.

Is there a reason why u can't do the elective?

Not everyone gets along with every teacher but its not the end of the world. I complain alot about my teacher (just one lol) but all you need is a good mark. If u cant get the best atmosphere in class, well thats bad luck. But the focus should be finding a way to do the best u can despite all this.

concession

Respected Member
HSC
tell authorities he/she touched you in places you deem private

trickpat23

Waking up beside a horses head with a pleasant note telling the aforementioned teacher of ur plight signed by a italian sounding name might help him. Especially if the horse is bloody Elstrom. I had $8 on that damn horse. (im not really big on animal creulty just gambling)

lala2

Banned
HSC
Argonaut said:
Overthrow him. If you feel you're behind on the work, get everything the other classes have done and demand to know why he hasn't taught you any of the stuff. If you get most of the class on your side he can't really do anything - I'd like to see a teacher try and put a group of about 18-20 studnets in detention. You can also go to the other Chemistry teachers and get their help. I had a terrible Englsh teacher, and both those worked for me.

If worse comes to wore, try swapping lines. Ask if you can have two of your classes swapped around so that when you'd normally have Chemistry you'd have say English, and when you'd normally have English you'd have Chemistry.
ummm, kyroth said that there was only one chem class at his/her school. talk to the principal first, being tactful and do the whole his'-teaching-cramps-my-style thing. If it fails, do you absolutely need the school to authorise your distance education? otherwise, you could (secretly) sign up for distance education without your school knowing? though i reckon that's really daring. :s but if not, do you have friends at other schools who do chem? maybe ask them to past on notes from their lessons? then, the third way out is to get lots of textbooks and a tutor. and finally, though I gather you don't want to do so (otherwise you wouldn't be tearing your hair out like this), would it be possible for you to drop, either no. of units wise or lack of interest/bad teaching, etc?

good luck though. come back and tell us what happened

Bobcat

HSC
Our chem teacher was an apparent alcoholic or something, and he was away at least once a week, and we were majorly behind schedule. We went to our head science teacher, and our parents complained to the principal, and he is no longer at our school. Whether or not it had anything to do with our asking them to do something about it, we dont know.

He then got replaced by a teacher, who turned up, but was a complete poo head.

Maybe you could just try talking to ur head teacher too bout it, they usually know whats best in the situation.

Hippy La-Laa

Stupid Pixie.
HSC
Hmmmm. I had trouble with a teacher (come to think of it, there was more than one). Anyway, one in particular last year, I took to the Deputy Principal who went through thr whole documentation process, spoke with the Prinicpal etc.. I was a little concerned about the impact it would have on my grades etc. especially being the only person in the class (my requests for confidentiality were futile) ... He was spoken to by the principal (ideally it would have gone to the Head Teacher, however, he WAS the Head Teacher). So being the proud, arrogant man he was, he knew it was me and just snubbed me for the rest of the year. It was f*cking difficult being in a one-on-one class, so I found it to be more productive to work on my own and ask the other teachers for assistance. Fortunately he retired at the end of the year, but any longer of that situation and I would have gone ballistic.

I hate this whole "personality clash" thing. It's just SO unfair and I wish teachers would just do their job in a non-vindictive manner. I suggest going to your deputy and discussing the issue, see if they can try to resolve anything (not that they're ever much use). Otherwise, just try to be as independent as you can be and sit it out. :confused: There's not a lot else. :(

Jago

el oh el donkaments
HSC
learn yourself. duh.

7th Sign

HSC
i got the shittest business studies teacher man he is tha biggest maggot.....he calls girls fat all the time.....when he tries to explain something to the class he mumbels to himself.....also he always does this dictating crap and it sucks hardcore...he has the worst spelling....he also has these sus red dots all over his face....man i could spend alll day paying him out.....

*girl04*

hey every1, how r u?
HSC
N/A
.. talk to other science teacherts at your school. you may find that onbe is really nice and will meet with you once a week and review stuff you have learnt in class etc. if

Alaranth

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. Here are the issues, as far as they go...
- We (me and a friend) have already done the whole head teacher/year adviser/deputy principal/principal thing. No help. The head teacher is our bio teacher, so we have regular bitch sessions there, and he knows how we feel. He just can't do an awful lot (I think partially because he's too nice). My year adviser was acctually the one who suggested distance ed, but the principal refused. He says if we're running the class at school, Karabar won't enrol me. They only do it if the class is unavailable. All four "men of power" (principal, both deputies and head of science) have got multiple phone calls from different people's parents, and none of them like him personally. Even so, after a call from my Dad (I think that one cos me and my sister are two of the top students at school), the principal went to see him, and was so impressed at the ammount of notes the teacher was doing, he put all complaints aside. :(
- One of the deputies taught chem to the 04's, and he's brilliant. I think I can get help from him when needed. :)
- I plan on learning it myself as best as I can. Only, I'm not very good at that... yet...
- Overthrowing is fun! We did that to our yr9 maths teacher. Only this guy is a bit harder than him, and we're all a bit more mature than we were in yr9. His current yr9 class, whom I know many of, aren't having any luck, and they're really trying.
- There's no other schools in my area. :(
- As far as subject matter goes, I love chem, and want to do something along the lines of biochem at uni. So dropping is a no go, or it would have dissapeared for sure!
- We've gone over our list of assassins, none of them are free. ;)
- I still have to do class and everything, cos of the assignments. If it were just the HSC, I could probably ignore him completely and do my own thing. But he has a very particular way of making assignments, so I have to do what we're doing in class, when we're doing it in class. Basicly I need ways of surviving 4 hours a week in that classroom. :(
Once again, thanks everyone for the ideas. :)

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Chem is a subject you can teach yourself, luckily. It's what I do now... though I also have a great teacher.

Charon.

HSC
N/A
Bare with it for now, and when its all over fill his car's petrol tank with cement. Muhahahahahahah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Or if thats not ur style, get a petition going, that sometimes works.

miranda

HSC
We had a shithouse teacher for modern history - a bad subject to have a bad teacher in.
The best advice i got was from my dad - just go beyond the teacher. If you REALLY want to do well, do all your own research on the net and at the library and shit. Write practice essays and submit them to OTHER teachers, liek the head teacher.
Also, go to the head, with other students if possible, and complain :D whinge away!
Good luck!

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
In year 11 legal studies, we had the Best Teacher Evar! Then half of us got shafted into the Crappy legal studies class, with a dirty old man who hated his male students (he would constantly remind us that we weren't as high achieving, well behaved or mature as his female students, and would say that we (as males) shouldn't be going to school until two years after our female classmates). We wrote a letter (and every single one of his male students signed it, as well as our parents) to the Timetable coordinator, and then to the Principal, but they refused to do anything. Eventually, we just applied ourselves in group study without the teacher, and our marks didn't drop too much from the previous year. Though we did make an attempt to piss him off as much as we could. For example, once he told us that "if we don't want to be there, then don't turn up to his class". I guess he shouldn't have been surprised when we stopped turning up.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)