How do you distinguish between Prelim and HSC Topics in textbooks and syllabus? (1 Viewer)

Dongle

HSC
I find it really frustrating that all the topics in Cambridge 3U Yr 11 are presented without any indication of their weighting in terms of the Prelim and HSC courses. I want to do all the Prelim topics first as I'm in year 11 next year, yet I have the feeling that much of the stuff is more relevant to the HSC course.

Similarly, the BOS syllabus makes no distinction between HSC and Prelim components and just lists Year 11-12 outcomes in one long list under the title of '2/3 Unit Mathematics Syllabus'. How am I to know which things are more important, ie: in the HSC course, and so on?

NeoKyo

gstains ghetto! represent
HSC
i dont think you really need a clear distinction
the maths syllabus is really gay, but you just get tested on everything you do
the preliminary topics are meant for you to learn in year 11 but it doesnt really matter what order you get taught
sometimes its just like foundation stuff then it gets progressively harder
but as you do past hsc questions all the dotpoints in maths seem to combine into gigantic orgies of questions that cover a variety of topics and dotpoints mmmm

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
It usually depends on the school, on what is considered to be taught in the Preliminary course and what they consider to be the HSC course. It doesn't really matter in the end because the ENTIRE Preliminary and HSC course is assessable in the HSC. If you want an idea of which outcomes are Preliminary level and which are HSC level, then perhaps the following outcomes table below can help you distinguish between Preliminary and HSC material:http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/syllabus_hsc/maths_ext12_outcomes.html
Generally speaking (though it varies from school to school) the Preliminary topics are the first 7-8 topics in the syllabus for Mathematics 2 unit.

dr baby beanie

*is so happeeeeee!!!*
HSC
SoulSearcher said:
It won't really matter, as the exam can consist of up to 30% of preliminary course material, so you might as well do them all.
I'm also told that the 30% that's test on the prelim can be straight prelim. So it excludes the fact that you may need parts of the prelim to answer a HSC question.

P

pLuvia

It doesn't matter since preliminary is assumed knowledge for the HSC course, and you need to use your preliminary skills to do HSC questions

ianc

physics is phun!
HSC
Yeah it doesnt matter really which is prelim and which is HSC.......in your internal assessments your teacher will give you a clear indication of which topics will be assessed.

Pretty much every topic you did in prelim will be used again for an hsc topic, so don't fret too much. Also dont look at the maths syllabus - it confused the crap out of me and probably will too unless youre a genius. Just stick to your textbook and everything will get covered

By the time the hsc comes around, all the prelim stuff will be so deeply embedded into your mind that you won't even think about it as extra learning to do - trust me :):)

Rekkusu

Currently: Away
HSC
100% (But Don't take my word for it), but at my school they hand out a sheet telling you EVERYTHING that will be tested in the internal school exams/assessments.

As for the actual stuff you need to know, Board of Studies site should supplement all your needs, if not, ask your teacher for the Maths 2unit + 3 unit Syllabus.

Some textbooks such as Advanced Learning series actually list it all out in their contents by dividing the topics into year 11 & Year 12...quite handy I might say.

Oh and also,
Dongle said:
just lists Year 11-12 outcomes in one long list under the title of '2/3 Unit Mathematics Syllabus'. How am I to know which things are more important, ie: in the HSC course, and so on?
The 2/3 Unit Syllabus is called this, because the 2unit AND 3unit HSC paper is common. Us 3 unit take 2 exams, one which is common between us and 2unit (advanced) students, as well as an additional exam - Extension 1 Mathematics.

For 4 Unit Maths students, we don't need to worry about 2Unit, BUT we have a common HSC paper with 3 Unit students hence it'll be called 3/4 Unit Mathematics HSC Exam. (But 4 Unit still need to know EVERYTHING that 2 unit people do, but from my experience they don't reallly ask questions from 2unit level, but material is based on it).

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)