how do you do the mean on the calculator? (1 Viewer)

nowhereperfect

HSC
I know how to do it by pressing the each number numerous times the M+
but how can you do say if u had 10 lots of 5 instead of entering 5,5,5,5,5,5, is there a quick way to do it on the calculator?

thanks

daniandrow

HSC
if its casio (not sure about others)
for example
5 (shift) (,) 10 (M+) = 5;10
do all scores
then press (shift) and there should be an x with a dash above it (ie mean symbol) on your key pad
sorry thats probably confusing as... its a bit hard to explain

ally147

HSC
If its a SHARP, press 2ndF DRG(which has mode written in yellow above) then once you have done that press 1. This will put it into STAT mode and you then have to press the number and press M+. Press M+ after you add each number.
To get the mean you need to put all numbers in and press RCL 4 (if you look, the 4 button has a little x with a line above it...that is the mean button.
Before putting in new information you must clear the contents by pressing 2ndF DEL which is the CLEAR ALL button.

I hope that helps if you have a SHARP calc

PC

HSC
N/A
Hey Ally,

Thanks for this! I have a girl in my Year 8 class with a Sharp calculator. Everyone else has a casio. We're doing stats and I had no idea how to show her how to use her calculator for stats.

Great help! :)

daza|ex

HSC
ally147 said:
If its a SHARP, press 2ndF DRG(which has mode written in yellow above) then once you have done that press 1. This will put it into STAT mode and you then have to press the number and press M+. Press M+ after you add each number.
To get the mean you need to put all numbers in and press RCL 4 (if you look, the 4 button has a little x with a line above it...that is the mean button.
Before putting in new information you must clear the contents by pressing 2ndF DEL which is the CLEAR ALL button.

I hope that helps if you have a SHARP calc
Awesome, it's 8 hours til' my Trial starts and you just helped me figure out how to do the mean on my calc :D .. now only if I knew how to do standard deviation :(

ally147

HSC
daza|ex said:
Awesome, it's 8 hours til' my Trial starts and you just helped me figure out how to do the mean on my calc :D .. now only if I knew how to do standard deviation :(

Standard deviation is just the same, you need to put it in stat mode jus like you do for the mean... this time instead of hitting x(with a little line above it) hit spermy x (our teacher told us to call it this lol, so pardon my language lol, look for the little thing that looks like a little sperm (i think its the button 6) only use the one that has an x beside it tho.

Any other queries, don't hesitate to ask, and also if this doesn't make sense lol

PrettyVacant

HSC
ally147 said:
Standard deviation is just the same, you need to put it in stat mode jus like you do for the mean... this time instead of hitting x(with a little line above it) hit spermy x (our teacher told us to call it this lol, so pardon my language lol, look for the little thing that looks like a little sperm (i think its the button 6) only use the one that has an x beside it tho.

Any other queries, don't hesitate to ask, and also if this doesn't make sense lol
The "spermy" x is really sigma x. Which is the greek letter S or something. It does look a fair bit like sperm.

x.glam

HSC
daniandrow said:
if its casio (not sure about others)
for example
5 (shift) (,) 10 (M+) = 5;10
do all scores
then press (shift) and there should be an x with a dash above it (ie mean symbol) on your key pad
sorry thats probably confusing as... its a bit hard to explain

where is the (M+) key?
can anyone quickly tell please..

x.glam

HSC
nevermind i got it and thanks for the link

Last edited:

Sezza08

HSC
ally147 said:

Lol. You just made my day. 2 hours til the maths exam starts, and thats taken my mind of it completely. kudos.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)