HOW do you get 20/20 essays or 19/20 at least? (1 Viewer)

j92

HSC
Well what should i be doing.....to write the essays for starters

j92

HSC
my teacher makrs my essays nd gives me like 12-14 usually. but when it comes to assessments i use the same essays and another teacher has given me 17 and 18.....why is there so much difference between different teachers?

vandango

HSC
A tip, ANALYSE with TECHNIQUES and HOW its done, not retell the story, "oh and this thing happened, and then these two left...."

So you should say, "That event gives the reader an inside view on the simplistic view of the pair, who leave becuase of their uncertainty with what will happen next."

AND QUOTE TO PROVE YOUR ARGUEMENT!!!!! Don't just say say what i just said above, take it to the next level by encompasing all of those things i have said.

"That event gives the reader an inside view on the simplistic view of the pair "stay here or go?", who leave becuase of their uncertainty with what will happen next "jack might come, and who knows what wil happen." The use of "who knows" gives the uncertainty, worried tone in their voice, with the question they ask themselves before "stay here or go?" displays this is uncertainty and how anxious they are with the descion they will make."

Use the SEXY system for your paragprahs
S- Statement, say what your going to argue
E- Explain, what you are trying to say
X- example, prove you arguement, (how is it used.)
Y- Why, why is it used and how is it used to give the.....

Hope this helps abit.

dp624

HSC
don't aim for 19-20s at the moment
aim for like 17 or 18 then go for the 19/20

dp624

HSC
bit high at the moment
might lose yourself, if you get me, with the technical stuff

plus, it has to be slow and steady. can't really expect to go from 13 to like, 20

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
bit high at the moment
might lose yourself, if you get me, with the technical stuff

plus, it has to be slow and steady. can't really expect to go from 13 to like, 20
Listen to the master :)

Always remember to ANALYSE and not RECOUNT.

ninetypercent

ninety ninety ninety
HSC
Answer the essay question, strong thesis, synthesis of texts, good and logical structure, clear and concise statements, don't repeat yourself, support statements with textual evidence.

lizziegirl

HSC
N/A
Answer the essay question, strong thesis, synthesis of texts, good and logical structure, clear and concise statements, don't repeat yourself, support statements with textual evidence.
to break that down into practical pointers...

ANSWER THE ESSAY Q - look for key words in the question and underline them - these words can be used to answer the question. for example, 'To what extent has studying the concept of physical journeys expanded your understanding of yourself, of individuals and of the rest of the world?' So you can start your essay with something like, 'Journeys give people the opportunities of expanding their knowledge of themselves, others and of the world in various ways. These include...[blahh insert generic essay and start discussing texts. remember this is only an intro paragraph - do not start discussing your texts in depth here. just give the main gist of what ur texts are trying to say about journeys and how each text contributes to the individual learning about themselves etc etc] ...

SYNTHESIS OF TEXTS - by backing up every assertion/statement/claim with a quote/technique that provides evidence for what you are trying to say. no use saying something w/o proving it right?? and discussing that point with relevence to how it answers the Q. example essay would be discussing HOW the quote/technique is used to express what is being said about the journey and HOW the individual learns more about himself/others/the world... formulae for text synthesis - QUOTE/TECHNIQUE -- EXPLAIN IT -- ITS RELEVENCE TO THE Q (i.e. what is it trying to say about journeys?) :wave:

GOOD & LOGICAL STRUCTURE - this can be done by dividing the essay into sections discussing the various texts. if we were to answer the e.g. essay question, we could break that essay up into paragraphs of how the individual learns about himself (1-2 paragraphs each containing 1-2 texts), others (1-2 para) and the world (1 para). stick to discussing ONE TEXT PER PARAGRAPH. :headbang:

DONT REPEAT YOURSELF - i have to disagree to an extent on that point. i think its necessary to repeat certain information such as the words from the essay Q. it creates cohesion - helps keep you on track. :music:

remember these journey essay questions arent trying to trick you. they basically have the same format - how do people learn by going on a journey? :)

Keru

HSC
TEEL.

Technique - Language technique composer is trying to convey to the audience
Example - Example of said technique with the use of quotes in literative peice
Effect - What effect said technique and example have on the audience
Link - Link it to the Area of Study. In this case "into the new world" or various aspects of "belonging"

Fkn easy.

Oh, and remember, topic sentences!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)