How do you get a 99+ Atar and 90+ percentile for UMAT!!! (1 Viewer)

Sahm

HSC
I Currently am studying:
Maths 2-U
Eng St
Chemistry
Biology
PDH

Yeah I know, I should have picked advanced english. I was stupid for not picking it. But is it possible to get a high atar with these subjects? I know I can get over 95 for Maths, Bio and PDH. And over 90 in Chem and Eng. But what sort of marks should I aim to get with these subjects, and how should I work around to getting the mark I want.

Also how do I perform well at the UMAT, apart from doing practice UMAT's?

I am reasonably smart, and I will work my butt off, from the word go. I am already ahead of my whole class in all subjects, on study notes, etc.

Btw I want to do under grad Medicine at UNSW :) So yeah I have to annihilate the HSC and UMAT, but how??!! Thanks!

Last edited:

braintic

HSC
N/A
I assume Eng St means English Standard, and not Engineering Studies.

Marks needed for 99 ATAR with those subjects, with the percentage of the state that gets that result or better in brackets:
Maths 95 (5)
Standard English 93 (0.5)
Chemistry 92 (5)
Biology 93 (2)
PD/H 95 (1)

These are the marks which would contribute equally to an ATAR of 99 after scaling.
Of course, you can get less than this in one subject provided you compensate by doing better in another.

I'll have to let someone else answer your UMAT question.

flashyGoldFish

HSC
N/A
How to get a 99.95 atar
a) be really smart and work smart (smart not stupid)
b) go to average school, pick easy subjects and get ranked 1 or 2 in everything.

Sahm

HSC
Thanks Guys! I really understood what you meant.

How should I and how long should I study each night. Relative to the time periods. E.g. now, half-yearlies, UMAT, trials, HSC exam...

I will start exploiting the use of past papers, especially for Chem, Bio and Maths. Not neccesarily rely on them for English and PDH. As those two exams have different asked questions every years, so best not to get indulged on one sort of question. But I will use past papers for all my subjects. Any other resources I should make use of?

I make my notes, according to answering the syllabus for each point. Is this particularly the right way? Is there a better way by any chance?

And any other way to prepare for the UMAT, apart from doing practice UMAT's?

Any other educational or any other particular advice I cam recieve also would be appreciated. Thankyou guys!!!

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad
well my brother has an estimated atar of 99.95 and 91 percentile in umat. i wouldn't say that he is smart though... he works really efficiently. as for umat he did a paper of two each month about a year before he sat the exam.

Sahm

HSC
Cool stuff! Will try that method out, thanks!

MrBeefJerky

HSC
well my brother has an estimated atar of 99.95 and 91 percentile in umat. i wouldn't say that he is smart though... he works really efficiently. as for umat he did a paper of two each month about a year before he sat the exam.
Will you be able to explain how he works really efficiently?

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad
Will you be able to explain how he works really efficiently?
pretty much timetabling. make sure to do whatever you set for yourself that day. not last minuting assignments/cramming exam content.

Sahm

HSC
Yeah that's true. I haven't received any assessment tasks yet, but I intend to always start them early, especially on the day I get them. That way I can pace myself, and not pressurise myself.

And do you guys think that 3 hours of study a night, is adequate amount in normal periods like this. And increasing the study time whenever exams come. E.g - 3 hrs normal daily study, taking 5 min breaks after each hour. Half yearlies 5 hrs daily. taking 10 min breaks every hour. UMAT (I have a different method for studying for that). Trials 7 hours daily study, taking 15 mins breaks every hour. HSC external exam 9 hrs daily, taking 20 mins breaks after each hour? Or is this too less/much. I try to study efficiently by making use of not blabbering when note taking, and only getting main concepts, and examples that will be relevant for the syllabus points. So is the time provided ok to efficiently study.
What improvements should I make to this timetable... This is just an example timetable, not my final one. So any improvements would be nice thanks!!!

turnthepageoftime

HSC
you need to factor in time for things other than study. don't let it take over your life, because with that schedule, you'll burn out.

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad
Yeah that's true. I haven't received any assessment tasks yet, but I intend to always start them early, especially on the day I get them. That way I can pace myself, and not pressurise myself.

And do you guys think that 3 hours of study a night, is adequate amount in normal periods like this. And increasing the study time whenever exams come. E.g - 3 hrs normal daily study, taking 5 min breaks after each hour. Half yearlies 5 hrs daily. taking 10 min breaks every hour. UMAT (I have a different method for studying for that). Trials 7 hours daily study, taking 15 mins breaks every hour. HSC external exam 9 hrs daily, taking 20 mins breaks after each hour? Or is this too less/much. I try to study efficiently by making use of not blabbering when note taking, and only getting main concepts, and examples that will be relevant for the syllabus points. So is the time provided ok to efficiently study.
What improvements should I make to this timetable... This is just an example timetable, not my final one. So any improvements would be nice thanks!!!
too much. 3 hrs of studying a night is good - but maybe 30 minute breaks after each hour of study. like you said ramp up the hours near exam time.

deloving

HSC

Don't think you'll be able to double or even triple your studying when the time comes just like that...

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC

3 hours study a night is good, that's about how much I do. 5 hours a day for half yearlies is probably unnecessary if you use those daily 3 hours to keep up with your notes. I'm pretty sure you will burn out! I remember cramming like there was no tomorrow for my second last exam and by the time my final one rolled around, I just did not care anymore (prelims). You should probably take bigger breaks like 30min for every 2 hour block so you don't tire out.

Create a timetable that suits your term, so block out all your activities and start blocking in subs accordingly. It should look rather balanced and if you have free periods, use that time to catch up on any homework and stuff and use your home time to work on assessments or study notes.

With notes, what I like to do is make one set of exceptionally detailed notes, go through that and make a summary of that and then make a final summary of my summary. It's sort of like a funnel where you go big and end up small. But whatever works :p I usually just skip to past papers after my first set of notes haha

you need to factor in time for things other than study. don't let it take over your life, because with that schedule, you'll burn out.
+1

Don't forget to exercise and do things you enjoy as well because you won't study efficiently if your health and head is in the wrong place.

Verify

HSC
I never wrote notes for any of my subjects since ever... So I guess you should do what works for you because I still do well without them. But one thing I make sure I do is review ALL the content I studied at school when I come home, some statistic I remember is that you tend to recall 70% more of what you learned if you do that or something haha. So I suggest you do that :D
By the time exams come around I don't think you really have to ramp up the hours too much because you've consistently been studying throughout the term. So you know everything you already need to know without having to study those extra 2 or so hours.
I guess my point is that you should work consistently throughout the year and maintain good study habits.

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad
I never wrote notes for any of my subjects since ever...
I thought the same way and didn't do any notes for the HSC. However getting the hang of writing notes will definitely help out for uni.

iJimmy

not dead
HSC
N/A
u can check the rough marks u should be expecting to get a 99+ but that is just a rough check and results show u should be getting 93+ for each subject :O

Last edited:

iJimmy

not dead
HSC
N/A
are you allowed to pick up extension 1?

Verify

HSC
I thought the same way and didn't do any notes for the HSC. However getting the hang of writing notes will definitely help out for uni.
Oh... I see. How so? I'm not really one to take time and write notes on things in the syllabus, I think it would be a waste of time for me :(

Sahm

HSC
Thanks for the great advice guys! So most of you think that 5 hrs for half yearlies is a burn out, so how many hours is good then? According to half-yearlies, trials and the HSC exam? I understand I should slightly ramp the hours, but by how much, and how long and when should I take my breaks in between?

Thanks for the note taking advice rumbleroar, will use that method!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)