• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

How do you get into big business? (2 Viewers)

ioniser

HSC
becoming those executive postions require you to climb from the bottom to the top through hard work.That includes being really assertive to climb on top of people,creative mind,good management control,decisive decision making,persuasive personality (which all come naturally or hard work) ...........

note the top 10 richest people in america don't even have degrees they are all university drop outs including bill gates ,this goes to show they are naturals.Then the people after the top 10 all mainly have double degrees with science and arts for some reason( i was looking in the top 50 and not one has a business degree or of sort.Or is it because the busness courses weren't introduced yet)?

santaslayer

HSC
ioniser said:
becoming those executive postions require you to climb from the bottom to the top through hard work.That includes being really assertive to climb on top of people,creative mind,good management control,decisive decision making,persuasive personality (which all come naturally or hard work) ...........

note the top 10 richest people in america don't even have degrees they are all university drop outs including bill gates ,this goes to show they are naturals.Then the people after the top 10 all mainly have double degrees with science and arts for some reason( i was looking in the top 50 and not one has a business degree or of sort.Or is it because the busness courses weren't introduced yet)?
eh no. business courses were here since foreva.

accounting is REALLY good too.

science and arts allow u to think in a warped sorta way. i guess thats why they're the ones who are RICH.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
Yes, but if you major in accounting you'll risk being a boring fuck, whilst working at a boring fuck job.

sarevok

HSC
Meldrum said:
B. Eco.Sco.Sci?
lollage. eco social sciences is really jsut an arts degrees, you might find your way into academia if you're lucky, but i am veyr doubtful you could find your way into big business with it

to get into big business you obviously want a commerce degree, major in accounting or finance, a law degree from one of the prestigious law unis would be nice to supplement this

stazi

Nightman
HSC
sarevok said:
lollage. eco social sciences is really jsut an arts degrees, you might find your way into academia if you're lucky, but i am veyr doubtful you could find your way into big business with it

to get into big business you obviously want a commerce degree, major in accounting or finance, a law degree from one of the prestigious law unis would be nice to supplement this
Yeah it's so much an arts degree that you major in economics, minor in ir/hrm if you want. then complete another major in accounting, finance, marketing, whatever.

jordanv

HSC
Murf said:
Id encourage you to show me out of the top 20 public companies in australia, and the top management teams in each of these companies, show me "quite a few" people that have no degrees? :)

Murf
i'll do one better.

give me your number and ill put you in contact with a few of the people im talking about.

sarevok

HSC
stazi said:
Yeah it's so much an arts degree that you major in economics, minor in ir/hrm if you want. then complete another major in accounting, finance, marketing, whatever.
pfft, so waht, you can major in all those areas in arts degree as well. eco social sci is for people who want to major in stuff like ecop or government, if someone wanted to major in acct, finance, marketing etc. they would do the sensible thing and take a bcomm

sikeveo

back after sem2
HSC
jordanv said:
i'll do one better.

give me your number and ill put you in contact with a few of the people im talking about.
my dad had no degree when he was managing his business, (multi million pound engineering firm), but did a course after.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
sarevok said:
pfft, so waht, you can major in all those areas in arts degree as well. eco social sci is for people who want to major in stuff like ecop or government, if someone wanted to major in acct, finance, marketing etc. they would do the sensible thing and take a bcomm
some people dont want to take the 11 prereqs that are required for commerce as of next year.
employers dont care much about your degree name. hell, the starting salaries show the same trend for the degrees. its the majors that really count.
of course, b arts (English, Economics) won't get you as far as B Eco.Soc.Sci (Economics, Marketing) but that's because the initial degrees are in different fields of study.

bscienceboi

HSC
N/A
Why not just marry the owner of some large coporations' daughter.

ioniser

HSC
sikeveo said:
my dad had no degree when he was managing his business, (multi million pound engineering firm), but did a course after.

cool thats what i want to do,did he start up his own engineering firm?Or did he start up small and then hired engineers to create the firm

note people :I was talking to people at the engineering faculty and asked if i get a double with commerce,would it help me excell in the carreer .They said most of the commerce stuff comes natural after the engineering degree thus the extra commerce degree could excell you to only some degree and most employers would still employ you in commerce areas such as fiancial engineers at commonwealth bank etc........... (as the engineers have the ability to problem solve same applys for people studying science applied in physics).if you havent noticed the top 50 billionaires in america all studied science(most probably physics) combined with arts

santaslayer

HSC
stazi said:
Yes, but if you major in accounting you'll risk being a boring fuck, whilst working at a boring fuck job.
Actually, after the many corporate collapses like Exxon and that, many women find accountants extremely sexy. :p

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
stazi said:
You don't get anywhere if you don't take risks :)
Doing an accounting major and attaining a CA qualification opens the doors to so many career possibilites, more than any other specialty in business. Doing accounting does not equate to a life of number crunchng or auditing

S

Shuter

Accounting is primarily the option taken by people with low self esteem who just want an assured job out of uni. Accounting for Business was one of the most boring, simple subjects I have encountered, and I cannot believe it would take 3 lectures just to show how you have to add 2 numbers together to make them equal the other side.

I'll give you the quick guide of what majors NOT to do to get into big business:

Advertising and Promotions
Electronic Business
Financial Planning
Human Resources Management
Information Technology
International Business
Management
Marketing
Sport Management
Tourism

all of these majors are relatively useless on their own for climbing to the really high levels, they should only be combined with something else.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
Shuter said:
Accounting is primarily the option taken by people with low self esteem who just want an assured job out of uni. Accounting for Business was one of the most boring, simple subjects I have encountered, and I cannot believe it would take 3 lectures just to show how you have to add 2 numbers together to make them equal the other side.

I'll give you the quick guide of what majors NOT to do to get into big business:

Electronic Business
Financial Planning
Information Technology
International Business
Management
Marketing
Sport Management
Tourism

all of these majors are relatively useless on their own for climbing to the really high levels, they should only be combined with something else.
that's why people typically take 2 majors in their degree.

santaslayer

HSC
Shuter said:

Electronic Business
Financial Planning
Information Technology
International Business
Management
Marketing
Sport Management
Tourism

Usually, people get out what they put in. If you decide to only do a singular degree and never value-add yourself with further education, then you can only go so far in 'big business'. (Contacts and luck aside anyway).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)