How do you get tutored for english? (1 Viewer)

honsaw

HSC
N/A
How would you get tutored for enlglish? Say if you need help with creative writting will they help you write it or give you ideas?

Pwnage101

HSC
N/A
your teacher would be the first place to turn to

English is a lot of luck - you don't know how your story will fair - my story went from a 13/15 (A-range) in the half-yearlies, to a low B-range (9/15) in the trials, even though it was almost identical and both questions allowed for it

the teacher who marked 'em in the trials was not as generous as the one for the half-yearlies (i found out who marked them)

so i dunno, english is a funny subject...

munchiecrunchie

HSC
For creative writing, english tutors would probably give you direction on how to structure your story, and the development of your story. There are ways to ensure that you've answered the question, strongly incorporated the AOS and written the story with flair. They can also help you brainstorm ideas if you're really stuck. The most successful stories don't have complex ideas; rather they're very simple, everyday events that are written in a stylistic manner.

like above though, I'd also recommend that you approach your teacher first.

georgefren

HSC
You shoudnt need tutoring for english unless its for basic structural things, and even then just ask your teacher.

Personally i disagree with Pwnage101. Everyone always says English is subjectively marked, but i think that as long as your work is good enough, it cant get marked down. My yearly creative marks were 15/15 and 24/25 - as long as the work is good enough, it should get good marks. Same as any other subject.

Pwnage101

HSC
N/A
georgefren said:
You shoudnt need tutoring for english unless its for basic structural things, and even then just ask your teacher.

Personally i disagree with Pwnage101. Everyone always says English is subjectively marked, but i think that as long as your work is good enough, it cant get marked down. My yearly creative marks were 15/15 and 24/25 - as long as the work is good enough, it should get good marks. Same as any other subject.
it isnt the same as chemistry, physics, maths, etc...

sure, if your story is exceptional, it will get good marks by most amrkers, but if its in the B-range, markers will often avry between low -B to high-B, etc, because it is subjective, to a degree

Domitius E

HSC
N/A
honsaw said:
How would you get tutored for enlglish? Say if you need help with creative writting will they help you write it or give you ideas?
the good tutors will generally give you a prepared essay of roughly 1000-1100 words for each module, and for Area of Study. they'll help you memorise it really well, and practise moulding with you

then for AoS creative, you should get a prepared story (two or three from the really good tutors - and depending on how much you want to memorise). I only did one, cos i was too lazy.

then there's the unseen comprehension... which is a bit harder. not much you can do about it, but it's only worth 13% of the hsc exam :)

hope this helps! <3

black_kat_meow

hihiwhywhy
HSC
Domitius E said:
the good tutors will generally give you a prepared essay of roughly 1000-1100 words for each module, and for Area of Study. they'll help you memorise it really well, and practise moulding with you

then for AoS creative, you should get a prepared story (two or three from the really good tutors - and depending on how much you want to memorise). I only did one, cos i was too lazy.

then there's the unseen comprehension... which is a bit harder. not much you can do about it, but it's only worth 13% of the hsc exam :)

hope this helps! <3
That's fucking outright cheating.

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
I used to tutor English (not anymore though)...

What I usually did was go through the prescribed texts with analysis of techniques and how they create meaning under the relevant module/elective heading. I usually get the student to write it out in a table so that he/she has a long table of techniques to refer to when it comes to formulating the extended response. Basically the table of techniques and their analyses becomes their bible lol.

I also get them to find their own related texts and show me their analysis of techniques in table form. Sometimes I provide a suggestion of title of a suitable related text like a film or something for him/her to look for.

I then get them to write extended responses to a general question and I grade/mark them with A LOT of feedback (I usually write half a page of comments LOL) which we go through in the lesson. I then give them a more specific question which is not as generous to write about and then mark/give feedback. I also give them exemplar responses to look at to understand what is expected of them.

Come assessment time, I usually give them practice tests or past papers to write under exam conditions and again I mark/provide feedback. If there are major issues with their basic structure/language etc I usually get them to rewrite it or demonstrate improvement on a new question. So basically they have a shitload of practice writing before their assessments and know what to improve on. Between the few weeks between the trial and HSC exam period I think I gave a student 12 past papers to write under exam conditions lol

This idea of keeping on writing and improving on the previous response worked reasonably well imo lol. A student I had last year who was at mid-high band 4 (some of them were even low band 4) for his responses at the beginning (he was one of those memorise/regurgitate essays people in the beginning) improved them up to mid-high band 5 by the trials and the HSC...:)

Last edited:

friction

HSC
All you can do is come up with 2 or 3 storylines (though i only had one) and keep handing copies into the teacher full copies to random questions and get them to mark and tell you where to improve. This is what i did and at the start of yr 11 i was told to drop advanced english and i ended up getting 87 which was great for me.

honsaw

HSC
N/A
Would it be considered cheating if the teacher dictates you a creative writting story and tells you to memorise it for your exams?

flowergrl

HSC
honsaw said:
Would it be considered cheating if the teacher dictates you a creative writting story and tells you to memorise it for your exams?
lol yes if the teacher themselves dictate you what to write.

no if you come up with your own and memorise that. It´s definately not cheating if you wrote your own work and memorised it for the exams!!! That´s what I did!!!

Domitius E

HSC
N/A
black_kat_meow said:
That's fucking outright cheating.
o rly

can't be proven

reusing past essays used in hsc is undetectable because original scripts are destroyed 6 months after the exam

and yeah, we're not talking about tutoring to raise yourself to band 5 level... we need high band sixes gaiz

Lukybear

HSC
Domitius E said:
o rly

can't be proven

reusing past essays used in hsc is undetectable because original scripts are destroyed 6 months after the exam

and yeah, we're not talking about tutoring to raise yourself to band 5 level... we need high band sixes gaiz
I truly hope you guys are joking...

PM me if your not :D

Rhanoct

zzzzz
HSC
if you struggle with english you'd get them to teach you the syllabus and make them write brilliant essays for you.

if you're more competent, you run practice essays past them to tweak style, syntax, perhaps find stronger examples of a certain idea etc. tutors are also good for explaining the crux of your texts to you, so you don't have to waste time breaking them down by yourself.

georgefren

HSC
If you want to run an essay you've written yourself past a tutor, thats fine. If your getting a tutor to write one for you, thats cheating. And not only is it against the rules and thus unfair, it also probably wont get you as high a mark as an essay where you know the fundamentals and are able to adapt it to specifically target the needs of the question - you can't get above say 17/20 unless you spend about half a page deconstructing the question and it's implications and then addressing those in depth. A preprepared essay is alright, but it has to be point-driven preprepared that you can adapt, and a tutor's memorised essay just wont get you there.

Domitius E

HSC
N/A
georgefren said:
If you want to run an essay you've written yourself past a tutor, thats fine. If your getting a tutor to write one for you, thats cheating. And not only is it against the rules and thus unfair, it also probably wont get you as high a mark as an essay where you know the fundamentals and are able to adapt it to specifically target the needs of the question - you can't get above say 17/20 unless you spend about half a page deconstructing the question and it's implications and then addressing those in depth. A preprepared essay is alright, but it has to be point-driven preprepared that you can adapt, and a tutor's memorised essay just wont get you there.
no. really, it works.

i know.

Domitius E

HSC
N/A
dp624 said:
This is from a guy who got 96 in English Advanced.
I'm not sure how or if he did it, but hey, he did darn well.
i got 97

98 exam mark, but i only got 95 in school... so it dragged me down

a tutor can write a speech and do a visrep for one, but one has to deliver the speech oneself haha

speeches were worth sooo much of the assessment program!! unfair >.<

icecoffee

HSC
I didn't get private tutoring but i'm guessing that would be more helpful as they'll teach to tailor your needs. I did, however, get extra tutoring with a group of students. For the AOS, each week we did some vocab work; learning the many language/visual techniques, how to answer questions, analysing and doing examples of paper one type questions and alot of work focusing on the idea of 'journeys', or whatever the AOS may be.
For the modules, since we were a class, it wasn't as focused but we did manage to have some discussions on each of our particular texts and he'd help us go beyond the cliched ideas of the texts.
Learning how to answer the question and construct a well thought out answer/essay was probably the most valuable thing i was taught. For example, having a clear thesis throughout your response and being cohesive with your texts.

honsaw

HSC
N/A
Domitius E said:
i got 97

98 exam mark, but i only got 95 in school... so it dragged me down

a tutor can write a speech and do a visrep for one, but one has to deliver the speech oneself haha

speeches were worth sooo much of the assessment program!! unfair >.<
Are you serious that a tutor can write a speech for you? haha if so where can i find one?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)