• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

How do you go to the GP and pay without parents finding out? (1 Viewer)

sirenxx

HSC
help?
ok your not going to believe that this is for a friend, but it is.
but we both happen to be idiots and not have paid much attention when we have been to the doctors previously.

so how do you go when you don't want your parents to find out?
neither of us have easy access to money.
and obviously she is on a medicare card. but can she sneak that from her parents without there being some type of record kept?
sorry but i really don't understand how it all works. and i have no idea why i don't :|

and will medicare (and probably bulk-billing? -once again idiot) cover the costs of most things. she will probably need tests done.
and if she can't sneak the card any idea how much seeing the doctors cost? :|

no she isn't pregnant if you were wondering (and probably assumed)

but thanks for any help
sorry if there was a thread for this already :S

HSC
With Bulk Billing - you need to check with the doctor. Only under 16's get automatically bulk billed I believe.

You used to be able to go in with just your Medicare card, but someone else on here said that they are getting strict about this.

I recommend that your friend apply for their own medicare card. Its really not hard, I think that you can just pick up a form at a medicare office and mail it back.

If she can't sneak the card/get the number they probably won't see her.

Seriously though, is there any reason why she can't just ask for her medicare card though?

sirenxx

HSC
arrgh not pregnant u foool.
n no she doesnt have herpies. though i wouldn't know would i
im neither her or her downstairs or a doctor
where are the intelligent people??!?!?!

sirenxx

HSC
With Bulk Billing - you need to check with the doctor. Only under 16's get automatically bulk billed I believe.

You used to be able to go in with just your Medicare card, but someone else on here said that they are getting strict about this.

I recommend that your friend apply for their own medicare card. Its really not hard, I think that you can just pick up a form at a medicare office and mail it back.

Seriously though, is there any reason why she can't just ask for her medicare card though?

ok thanks
ahhh she has freaks as parents :)

dux&src

just a star-crossed lover
HSC

Haha beat me to it. Was just going to mention/suggest that your friend apply for her own medicare card.

Last edited:

Hagaren

The Fresh Prince
HSC
Pregnant, std or the pill. Pretty much everything else she'd tell her parents straight up.

Dr_Fresh

U MAD??
HSC
N/A
bulk billing doctors are pretty rare these days. but if u do manage to find one, you do not have to pay for the consultation. however, any subsequent tests you take could be at ur own cost (some may be covered by medicare). however, a lot of the tests are subsidised (e.g. a blood test - you pay the 100 or so dollars up front, but you then take the receipt to medicare and they reimburse you with say $50). it really depends on what it is.
i dont think records of consultations are kept+sent to the card holder. i have never received one.
a clinic usually costs about $60-70, but varies depending on the location of the clinic. if you were on medicare, they would cover $30 and you pay the rest. if not, you pay all of it, pretty simple.
with regard to telling her parents. basically, if your friend is not over the age of 18, the doctor decides whether or not he will contact the parents. if ur friend is under 16, the doctor will usually contact the parents.

sirenxx

HSC
bulk billing doctors are pretty rare these days. but if u do manage to find one, you do not have to pay for the consultation. however, any subsequent tests you take could be at ur own cost (some may be covered by medicare). however, a lot of the tests are subsidised (e.g. a blood test - you pay the 100 or so dollars up front, but you then take the receipt to medicare and they reimburse you with say $50). it really depends on what it is.
i dont think records of consultations are kept+sent to the card holder. i have never received one.
a clinic usually costs about $60-70, but varies depending on the location of the clinic. if you were on medicare, they would cover $30 and you pay the rest. if not, you pay all of it, pretty simple.
with regard to telling her parents. basically, if your friend is not over the age of 18, the doctor decides whether or not he will contact the parents. if ur friend is under 16, the doctor will usually contact the parents.

k thanks for ur help. :)
we'll work something out

sirenxx

HSC
Pregnant, std or the pill. Pretty much everything else she'd tell her parents straight up.
haha i can think of other things
even simply glandular fever she would hesitate in telling her parents because its labelled 'the kissing disease'
though that would need time off school, etc so then her parents would have to know

evil_kitten

HSC
help?
ok your not going to believe that this is for a friend, but it is.
but we both happen to be idiots and not have paid much attention when we have been to the doctors previously.

so how do you go when you don't want your parents to find out?
neither of us have easy access to money.
and obviously she is on a medicare card. but can she sneak that from her parents without there being some type of record kept?
sorry but i really don't understand how it all works. and i have no idea why i don't :|

and will medicare (and probably bulk-billing? -once again idiot) cover the costs of most things. she will probably need tests done.
and if she can't sneak the card any idea how much seeing the doctors cost? :|

no she isn't pregnant if you were wondering (and probably assumed)

but thanks for any help
sorry if there was a thread for this already :S
if she can get the medicare card then she can just take that to a medical centre that bulk bills. it wont come up on the records or anything.
and if she cant get it then she can go to a medicare centre and they can print out a little copy of her medicare details which she can take to the medical centre. all she needs then is a lisence or something.

evil_kitten

HSC
my medical centre doesnt charge for anything. ive had a bunch of blood tests and stuff, all they ever need is the medicare card or the printout from medicare.
only downside from that and a GP is that you dont make an appointment, and it can easily take an hour or two of waiting before you can see a doctor

megan22

HSC
Not sure about money, but anyone over 14 has a right to confidentiality - ie. if she asks the doctor not to tell her parents, he legally cant.

and lol. Have finally used legal studies info for something :)

Lukybear

HSC
Much like the above has said. If a Bulk-billing GP is avaliable, and they certainly are across the wide spectrum that is Sydney, then walk in with "the" medicare card and wait for 3 hours to see the doctor. Otherwise, if one vists emergency at a hospital, you can also see a doctor.

If the visit, requires some tests, sometimes it is unavoidable that you have to pay. However, Bulk-Billing is also avaliable for certain tests, i.e. radiology w/e. But appointments are needed, as they are major hospitals. (I waited 1month for an head ultrasound at a public hospital), and the line is usually pretty long.

U

Ubik

even simply glandular fever she would hesitate in telling her parents because its labelled 'the kissing disease'
though that would need time off school, etc so then her parents would have to know
Her parents must be really retarded, to be unable to understand a basic diagnosis.

evil_kitten

HSC
Her parents must be really retarded, to be unable to understand a basic diagnosis.
thats like my mum. she seems to think yelling at me will cure everything so i tend not to tell her when i'm sick unless completely unavoidable.

HSC
Not sure about money, but anyone over 14 has a right to confidentiality - ie. if she asks the doctor not to tell her parents, he legally cant.

and lol. Have finally used legal studies info for something :)
hahahah i was just about to say this.
woooo legal :haha:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)