how do you judge a good book? (1 Viewer)

w00dy.

HSC
i was just wondering how you all out there judge a book, when your browsing through the library, or bookstore?

i have a rather strange way of judging a book. i read the front page, than the back page. and then the blurb. i told this to my english teacher and he looked at me strangely.

but so far it has been the way ive managed to sought the good from the bad.

and so

i guess i was wondering if any of you have your own little quirky or original way of judging either a good book. or just a book to read in general?

mm99

HSC
personally, hard cover books always catch my attention coz it always makes me think its a "good quality" book... then i read the blurb and see if it catches my attention :)

jebbie

imrad. yourerad. letshug.
HSC
Firstly, the title has to be semi-interesting. As a librarians daughter you learn that the way a title is worded has a lot to do with the book. I cant explain it, but it helps in the selection process imo.

Secondly, I look at the whole cover (back and front). This is an optional step. Sometimes great books had hideous covers and vice verse. But depending if Im just browsing a book shop, or if Im actually after something to read (ie flight) I'll take into consideration the cover.

Thirdly, I check the blurb. This is an optional step. Sometimes I cbb reading the blurb, there is no blurb, or the blurb is insatisfactory. However this step helps me to see if Ive read the book before. Im a librarians daughter and I love to read, and yes I have, on more than one occasion, reread books by pure accident. Its one thing to intentionally reread a book, but to think its a new book and find out in the middle, its devastating.

Lastly, I flick though and find a random chapter in the MIDDLE of the book. Yes its true that generally this is where the action is, but honestly, if in the middle fo the most exciting bit of the book you cannot be entertained, then you shouldnt read it. If I find my self turning over the page I know its worth checking another section, and then if still satisfactory buying it or borrowing it.

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
in a library, I just quickly browse spines and usually pick out the plain ones with plain font

I stay away from flashy covers where the author's names is larger than the title or if it involves something sparkly or gold or excessively embossed.

There is usually an inverse relationship between how flashy the cover/spine is and how good the books is.

I read the title, the blurb and if it passes those two tests, then I read the first entire page. :)

calamity_jane

HSC
i go for the title, then the blurb and i try and i see if an author i know i like has enjoyed the book.

MissSavage29

Resident Priss
HSC
jebbie said:
Lastly, I flick though and find a random chapter in the MIDDLE of the book. Yes its true that generally this is where the action is, but honestly, if in the middle fo the most exciting bit of the book you cannot be entertained, then you shouldnt read it. If I find my self turning over the page I know its worth checking another section, and then if still satisfactory buying it or borrowing it.

Thats how i tend to judge a book - by flicking it open somewhere in the middle and having a quick read - if its interesting enough to catch my attention i'll get it...
and yes i have to say i'm guilty of juding a book by its cover... cant help it

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)