How do you manage your Mental Health? (1 Viewer)

Bored of Studies

Administrator
Administrator
Hi there,

How are you handling the pressure and the strain of the HSC? Do you feel like your mental health is
constantly being challenged?

It’s never easy getting all your work done on time, finding time to study, managing the expectations
of parents and teachers and staying sane at the same time. We asked a 99+ ATAR student,
Sophie, how she dealt with all this and still looked after her mental health.

You can read about her strategies and learn how you can deal with all the stresses of the HSC by clicking HERE.

We’d love to hear about your own techniques for dealing with the pressures of the HSC. Have you
had mental health challenges? How did you overcome them?

If you want to get your hands on more content like this, sign-up to the Band6 Resource Library to get access to over 80 FREE resources.

Last edited by a moderator:

Zali_G

HSC
Sounds really cliché and obvious, but recreational time is just as important as study time! Taking breaks makes for much more effective study: try five to ten-minute breaks between every thirty minutes spent studying. Have some water each break and a snack every other (nut/oat bars are great, but bananas and apples are legendary).

Also, sleep is key: I could write you a twelve-page essay on the importance of sleep on mental, emotional and physical well-being, so make sure you are getting a minimum of seven hours of sleep!

Xionel

HSC
Uni Grad
I manage to keep sane by

-Reading fiction (I find this really helpful to relax)
-Exercising regularly,
-Chatting with friends
-Meditating in the morning and reminding myself of my goals.

Also, I manage my time by setting daily to-do lists and organising my day the night before! This is really helpful!
I also sleep early (9:30PM) And I wake up early (4:30AM) To study. I find this a nice way to manage my time, just find your preference!

SirLaptop

HSC
I get burnt out very often, but usually this is what I tend to do.

- ALWAYS ALWAYS get more than 8 hours of sleep a night. I cannot stress how important sleep is in your schedule. When I get 9-10 hours of sleep, I get stuff done, at school or when studying in the library. If I go to bed late, I set my room up to wake up later in the morning. Opposite for when its early.

- Eat massive meals. I have fast metabolism, but if I'm not full when I eat dinner I go and make myself some more food to fill myself up. Before exams I give myself a massive sugar load by eating sugary stuff to switch my brain on.

- Once a week I go out on an 'adventure day', where I make my own way out to wherever I want for the day, given if I return home in time for dinner. These days, which often involve long walks, are relaxing and allow me to spend time outside and do things I want to do.

- No studying past sunset on weekends, or on Friday nights. This is because my productivity levels aren't great at those hours. Assignments are an exception and I'll do whatever it takes to get that done.

I also play on a competitive Overwatch team that trains twice a week, I'm in diamond now and whenever I don't study, I'm grinding the game out to get to masters. To actually chill I play something like Planet Coaster or Cities Skylines. This is my 'exercise' to some extent, for my brain specifically because football season's off.

These are all general rules of thumb for me, because I'm a hugely disorganised person and I do my things off habits I learned earlier in school. And I ignored pretty much everything when doing my major work because I had a serious agenda to make it look perfect.

Last edited:
HSC
1. Value yourself:
Treat yourself with kindness and respect, and avoid self-criticism. Make time for your hobbies and favorite projects, or broaden your horizons. Do a daily crossword puzzle, plant a garden, take dance lessons, learn to play an instrument or become fluent in another language.

2. Take care of your body:
Taking care of yourself physically can improve your mental health. Be sure to:

Eat nutritious meals
Avoid cigarettes -- see Tobacco Cessation Help
Drink plenty of water
Exercise, which helps decrease depression and anxiety and improve moods
Get enough sleep. Researchers believe that lack of sleep contributes to a high rate of depression in college students. See Sleep.
3. Surround yourself with good people:
People with strong family or social connections are generally healthier than those who lack a support network. Make plans with supportive family members and friends, or seek out activities where you can meet new people, such as a club, class or support group.

4. Give yourself:
Volunteer your time and energy to help someone else. You'll feel good about doing something tangible to help someone in need — and it's a great way to meet new people. See Fun and Cheap Things to do in Ann Arbor for ideas.

5. Learn how to deal with stress:
Like it or not, stress is a part of life. Practice good coping skills: Try One-Minute Stress Strategies, do Tai Chi, exercise, take a nature walk, play with your pet or try journal writing as a stress reducer. Also, remember to smile and see the humor in life. Research shows that laughter can boost your immune system, ease pain, relax your body and reduce stress.

6. Quiet your mind:
Try meditating, Mindfulness and/or prayer. Relaxation exercises and prayer can improve your state of mind and outlook on life. In fact, research shows that meditation may help you feel calm and enhance the effects of therapy. To get connected, see spiritual resources on Personal Well-being for Students.

Lastly I would suggest you to give yourself time. Relax ,only then you will be able to concentrate on your studies.
And there are lot of helps available for your studies available online that can help your with your studies, instead of taking stress you can take there help also.:smile:

Shira

HSC
N/A
In relation to personal health, mental health is also very important. To live a healthy and blessed life one must be healthy with mental as well.
I manage my mental health by the following activities:-
Hangout with my friends
Chatting with my close friends
Online games
Writing a diary
Listening to musics

I also wakeup early in the morning to do YOGA and Meditation.

Last edited:

raji96

HSC
I Manage my Mental health by chatting with my family and friends.

foxxraven

HSC
I try to use strategies to manage my anxiety that I've learned, and like others have said, get enough sleep every night, that is a must. Also making time for exercise. I hope I can manage my stress well going into year 11.

Saxtoni

HSC
I read interesting literature and it helps me calm down

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)