How do you performance a first hand investigation? (1 Viewer)

HeyJes

Academic Tutor @ UNSW
HSC
Uni Grad
I don't mean the actual performance
Im talking about the QUESTIONS on tha paper!!! That's like a report or something

I'm really weak at the experiment types of questions
I have no clue to start??!
What should you consider when you have got these questions?

Do u write like hypothesis, results, independent variable???

Any advice please =)

Last edited:

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Umm, you do first hand investigations by doing them yourself.

delian

HSC
N/A
HSC questions may ask you to describe a first hand investigation. For this, perhaps list the procedure, making sure you have key points and key words.

LabGirl

HSC
N/A
I wouldn't stress too much about this as you really need to do a few practical experiments in class before you can write about them/understand what are the important things to know.

You'll usually do an experiment to help prove a particular theory you have covered in class, like the reactivity of double bonds or to find the concentration of a particular acid by doing a titration. While each response is different depending on the questions, a general starting point might be something along the lines of "To investigate the reactivity of alkenes we (insert what you did)....(insert what happened)...(insert why what happened, happened, or didn't happen as you expected!)". You'll often need to talk about why your results didn't quite agree with standard published results e.g. in the heat of combustion experiments you lose heat to the surroundings etc

Proabably if you are going to study anything now it would be good to understand a few terms like validity and the differences between reliability and reproducibility in first hand investigations. You're expected to use and know these terms when you discuss experiments you've done in class.

Another thing is learn the general safety considerations for most experiments e.g. lab glasses, lab coat etc. Later on when you do the actual experiments you'll find there are more specific safety requirements for different experiements but the general standard ones are the same.

Dylanamali

HSC
HSC questions may ask you to describe a first hand investigation. For this, perhaps list the procedure, making sure you have key points and key words.
+1..
the classic example is basically just to describe the procedure you did and justify why you did certain things.
The one that comes up the most is the bromine water prac.. typical question: "Describe the procedure used to distinguish between cyclohexene and cyclohexane and justify the use of these two substances"

HeyJes

Academic Tutor @ UNSW
HSC
Uni Grad
+1..
the classic example is basically just to describe the procedure you did and justify why you did certain things.
The one that comes up the most is the bromine water prac.. typical question: "Describe the procedure used to distinguish between cyclohexene and cyclohexane and justify the use of these two substances"
Thanks
For example, for this question, do i just say 'add bromine water into cyclohexene'
or do i need do state how much amount exactly, like 'Add drops of bromine water into a test tube containing 2ml cyclohexene'???

I just could't remember the details - like the fermentation, how many yeasts or 'Add xxx mole/L xxxxL xxxxx'
if you understand what i mean.
the exact detail...

HeyJes

Academic Tutor @ UNSW
HSC
Uni Grad
I wouldn't stress too much about this as you really need to do a few practical experiments in class before you can write about them/understand what are the important things to know.

You'll usually do an experiment to help prove a particular theory you have covered in class, like the reactivity of double bonds or to find the concentration of a particular acid by doing a titration. While each response is different depending on the questions, a general starting point might be something along the lines of "To investigate the reactivity of alkenes we (insert what you did)....(insert what happened)...(insert why what happened, happened, or didn't happen as you expected!)". You'll often need to talk about why your results didn't quite agree with standard published results e.g. in the heat of combustion experiments you lose heat to the surroundings etc

Proabably if you are going to study anything now it would be good to understand a few terms like validity and the differences between reliability and reproducibility in first hand investigations. You're expected to use and know these terms when you discuss experiments you've done in class.

Another thing is learn the general safety considerations for most experiments e.g. lab glasses, lab coat etc. Later on when you do the actual experiments you'll find there are more specific safety requirements for different experiements but the general standard ones are the same.
where can i find the safety requirements for different exps???
I realise in textbooks like Context, Conquering Chem dont have experiment parts O__O
our stupid teacer never talks about the safety issues,
he just says in the exam we pretend to say that 'We use small amount of blablabla and wear safety goggle' and far out we have never done that

RANK 1

HSC
where can i find the safety requirements for different exps???
I realise in textbooks like Context, Conquering Chem dont have experiment parts O__O
our stupid teacer never talks about the safety issues,
he just says in the exam we pretend to say that 'We use small amount of blablabla and wear safety goggle' and far out we have never done that
just bullshit that part, its common sense. if theres fire involved write a fire precaution, ie heat proof mat. if theres acid, wear gloves. if theres flammable substances, dont let it near naked flame. etc

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)