How do you prepare for a listening test? (1 Viewer)

BlueGas

HSC
N/A
Pretty straight forward answer... you can't.

All the tasks/work you have done in class all lead up to this.

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
There are a few things you should consider
1)make sure before the assessment task, you thoroughly understand the requirements of the task-i.e. roughly how long the aural text will be-ask your teacher, how many times will it be played, and how much time you have to make notes and what is the duration of your assessment. If there is any time before listening to the text, look at the questions beforehand and when listening, keep those questions in mind when you are jotting down your notes-

2)if possible, note down the title of the text and author, write down significant quotes that relates to belonging very well-don't worry too much about picking out techniques when you are listening, you can do that in the exam once you get the quotes down

3)depending on how many times you can listen to it, try to get a general feel for what the text is roughly about-I know this can be challenging if you are trying to write down quotes at the same time-i.e. your notes should help you answer the question-don't try to copy the entire text-just write down the relevant stuff. Make sure you don't repeat anything in your answer and your answer is answering only what the question is asking, not what you think the question is asking-read the question several times if you need it-highlight key words-answer ALL parts of the question

4)before you start writing your answers, you must take some time either using paper or mentally organise your answer and make some quick plans so your answers are logical and coherent

Hope this helps and all the best for your upcoming listening task.

klee98

HSC
There are a few things you should consider
1)make sure before the assessment task, you thoroughly understand the requirements of the task-i.e. roughly how long the aural text will be-ask your teacher, how many times will it be played, and how much time you have to make notes and what is the duration of your assessment. If there is any time before listening to the text, look at the questions beforehand and when listening, keep those questions in mind when you are jotting down your notes-

2)if possible, note down the title of the text and author, write down significant quotes that relates to belonging very well-don't worry too much about picking out techniques when you are listening, you can do that in the exam once you get the quotes down

3)depending on how many times you can listen to it, try to get a general feel for what the text is roughly about-I know this can be challenging if you are trying to write down quotes at the same time-i.e. your notes should help you answer the question-don't try to copy the entire text-just write down the relevant stuff. Make sure you don't repeat anything in your answer and your answer is answering only what the question is asking, not what you think the question is asking-read the question several times if you need it-highlight key words-answer ALL parts of the question

4)before you start writing your answers, you must take some time either using paper or mentally organise your answer and make some quick plans so your answers are logical and coherent

Hope this helps and all the best for your upcoming listening task.
Thank you!

MzRobinHood97

HSC
Hello! A few tips:
1.I had my listening task earlier, and what I did was write maybe like 5 topic sentences regarding discovery in different aspects e.g. self discovery, and then memorise them for the short essay so you have great topic sentences to make a strong point.

2. In the exam, make sure to back EVERYTHING up with either a quote you hear, a audio technique, AND links to discovery. You'll have short answer questions in which you'll have to relate everything to the AOS(Discovery).

3. When watching the clip, make sure to relate to the clip and create links. Create links, make sure it's a story you can visual, relate to. This, my friend, will allow you to remember quotes, techniques and hence, write better responses. We had a sorta clip where we had this advertisement type of thing where these young people discovered their capabilities and rediscovered their appreciation when challenging themselves in a isolated place. But really, I was about to create links because, if you're lucky, your teacher would also let you see the visual part too. This increased my ability to remember what they were saying, hence aced those marks :)

4. If you're still stressing, I recommend trying to practice AOS papers, the comprehension part. Try Last year ones, because, really, it's all about linking texts with a main concept. Try looking at sample answers, to see how Band 6 students structure their answers. That'll help.

Good luck!!

Martin_SSEDU

HSC
I had to do a listening test for my HSC and Preliminary exams and I can say that the best way to prepare is to know your text if they're specified. If it's a random text then make sure you know the rubric and how to form arguments.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)