How do you remember an essay? (1 Viewer)

Ryan_T90

HSC
Yo,

I have an English exam next week. Anyway, I have already prepared my essay for the exam as we've been given the question already. Though, how exactly do you remember a 1500 word essay? Is it difficult?

ellie95

HSC
N/A
Hi,

I find, remembering the key point in each of your paragraphs useful, don't try and remember word for word. I did that once and screwed up my test. Best way to do it is pick out key info in each paragraph and then in the test put it into sentences.

Timske

Sequential
HSC
Uni Grad
I tend to read my essays over and over again until i know them off by heart. Its what i prefer or you could do what ellie suggested just remember important quotes and ideas, although i don't see how you could possibly screw yourself up, just remember it must answer the question.

Autonomatic

HSC
N/A
HEY our school had an assessment for English last Thursday in which we were also given the question! Yeah most people either wrote a draft essay around 1100 words or dot points which brief the ideas in paragraph. I chose to do a draft and and tried memorising it; despite my short term memory! I only prepared the week preceding the exam and spent only 3 days memorising the entire essay, and quite often I had to look back or i was barely over time. Don't let this discourage you though cos during the test, it's a different situation and you are more motivated! My advice, just keep familiarising with your draft essay and If you are uncertain, pick certain ideas from each paragraph which make it easier to remember. GL

passionxmusic

HSC
N/A
I never remember my essays because I go point blank as soon as I read the question and ask myself "did the essay I memorised tie in with the question or do I have to change the structure AGAIN? FML!". I recommend remembering key quotations/evidence and the arguments, points, case studies, language techniques, author's POV etc that surrounds that particular quote. I find doing that a lot easier; I've been doing that my whole Preliminary, HSC and University life and it works - just chuck in the paragraphs that fits the question and make sure the quotes answer the question.

EDIT: Which ever method of memorising the essay you take - just make sure that you're able to do it and that it will help you in the long run.

ShaxBOS

HSC
You're not really supposed to remember a big ass essay word for word unless you know what the question will be.

Ryan_T90

HSC
As I said, I DO know what the question is.

And thanks to everyone for their tips so far!

Autonomatic

HSC
N/A
Also, depending on timing, you should allow 10mins around for each page that you write - it may involving cutting unnecessary bits in your draft.

asadass

HSC
Uni Grad
I tend to write it out about 4 times, but depending on the length of the essay you may not want to do that. Either that or you'll tire out your hand for the actual exam haha.
I find reading it just before you go to sleep works as well. Quite often I'll wake up and be able to recite the whole thing.
good luck :)

Realista

HSC
Memorise the key points. Read it over and over again. Rewrite it over and over again.

Works for me, I end up memorizing at least 95% of the whole text. My essays are made up of 900-1000 words, but I follow the steps above the night before and it works. And yeah, only memorise it if you know the question :rolleyes2:

mirakon

nigga
HSC
Don't memorise the essay word for word it'll get you into a bad habit thqt can be risky, particularly since in the actual hsc u won't have the question beforehand. Just remembet tlyour key points and some relevant quotes

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Hi,

I find, remembering the key point in each of your paragraphs useful, don't try and remember word for word. I did that once and screwed up my test. Best way to do it is pick out key info in each paragraph and then in the test put it into sentences.
This.

I wouldn't advocate memorising an entire essay unless you have photographic memory. If you just remember the key points, you are able to get your essay to flow properly with the context of the question easy to mould to.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I used to get the key points and quotes, and write that out a lot of times before an exam. My short term memory is horrendous so I needed every tinsy bit of memory capacity I had to be utilised!

delian

HSC
N/A
1500 words seems a lot.
Anyway, different people memorise differently- whether reading it out aloud many times very quickly, highlighting, writing out quotes, or writing out in full(very time consuming)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)