How do you Study 4 UNI. (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Benny1103

HSC
N/A
Demandred said:
Hey Benny, marks are not always a measure of one's chances at getting a decent job, or success for that matter.

If the guy is an arshole, nobody would give a crap over high many HDs he got, he still is an arsehole.
So you wish to further skew my point? I didn't make reference to how likely you would be able land a job with whatever scores you have.

In any case, "If the guy is an arshole, nobody would give a crap over high many [insert here whatever you want to compensate for a P average] he got, he still is an arsehole." You're assuming that someone with high marks is not easy to get along with.

... said:
By getting "high" marks in a unit, it shows the person he is capable of memorising a whole textbook, and in a set given time able to spill out whatever possible
this might not make them industry capable, yet they are still one of the "top" students
By getting low marks in a unit, it shows that the person is lazy and cannot be bothered to do anything. "This might not make them industry capable." See? Not a good example right? For the same reasons your example isn't crash hot either. Oh but I forgot, someone with low marks might have family problems right? But someone with high marks might also have family problems as well. Everyone has problems in life, it's a real cop out to use them as an excuse most of the time.

^___^
HSC
Benny1103 said:
By getting low marks in a unit, it shows that the person is lazy and cannot be bothered to do anything. "This might not make them industry capable." See? Not a good example right? For the same reasons your example isn't crash hot either. Oh but I forgot, someone with low marks might have family problems right? But someone with high marks might also have family problems as well. Everyone has problems in life, it's a real cop out to use them as an excuse most of the time.
its not a crash hot example
but it is a lot better than what you've put forward

HSC
Benny1103 said:
So you wish to further skew my point? I didn't make reference to how likely you would be able land a job with whatever scores you have.

In any case, "If the guy is an arshole, nobody would give a crap over high many [insert here whatever you want to compensate for a P average] he got, he still is an arsehole." You're assuming that someone with high marks is not easy to get along with.

You just made me smile, well done :)

Benny1103

HSC
N/A
... said:
its not a crash hot example
but it is a lot better than what you've put forward
How are the examples any different. You implied in your post that someone with high marks is not industry capable. To show you how senseless that implication is, I provided an example in which someone could assume that someone with low marks is lazy. It was all based on the exmaple which you provided. So your example, and mine which was based on your one, are no different.

hfis

Dyslexic Fish
HSC
N/A
Benny1103 said:
hfis - Lol I'm a "sardonic little bitch" because I don't believe that a credit average is adequate?
No, you're a sardonic little bitch because of how you are responding to people in this thread. You attempt to sound smart through sarcasm, and it fails you miserably. Seriously, read your own posts.

Demandred

HSC
Ok Benny, 25 words or less, what is your point on this matter?

Everybody is getting the impression that unless a person is getting a D average, he's a dumbshit and doesn't belong at Uni, and oh... they think you're an arsehole as well.

Oh, almost forgot, can you please put that in a point form please? I only got a credit in one of my units.

Last edited:

Benny1103

HSC
N/A
Demandred said:
Ok Benny, 25 words or less, what is your point on this matter?

Everybody is getting the impression that unless a person is getting a D average, he's a dumbshit and doesn't belong at Uni
The impression they get is wrong. How is it possible to misinterpret the following?

Benny1103 said:
Is that supposed to be something to be proud of/happy with/satisified with?
To draw an analogy, it's like me telling you that there is nothing to be proud of simply because you can type quickly.

Is anyone going to have a waah about that as well?

hfis said:
No, you're a sardonic little bitch because of how you are responding to people in this thread. You attempt to sound smart through sarcasm, and it fails you miserably. Seriously, read your own posts.
Try to sound smart? Roflmao. Seriouslessly though, if I am 'failing so miserably' then why are people getting so angry? Besides, I'm not trying to sound smart, I don't need to. The way that people have been misinterpreting the most basic things that I've said and twisted it in their own little way, gives me a certain status by default. Oh wait, should I have said that? If people draw the wrong conclusion from that then it'll make them look even worse.

Last edited:

kow_dude

HSC
If Benny's strategy of impressing an employer by achieving HD average by spending every minute studying in his nerdy life, then that's his decision.

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
Agreed. Most of us have better things to do with our time than work towards HD averages. Unfortunately for me, that "better things to do with our time" involves trying to take over the SRC (www.ourbloodysrc.com), but it's better than study.

Join ISA. ourbloodysrc.com

HSC
Benny1103 said:
The impression they get is wrong. How is it possible to misinterpret the following?

To draw an analogy, it's like me telling you that there is nothing to be proud of simply because you can type quickly.

Try to sound smart? Roflmao. Seriouslessly though, if I am 'failing so miserably' then why are people getting so angry? Besides, I'm not trying to sound smart, I don't need to. The way that people have been misinterpreting the most basic things that I've said and twisted it in their own little way, gives me a certain status by default. Oh wait, should I have said that? If people draw the wrong conclusion from that then it'll make them look even worse.
Certain status, lol, you could say that :)

So tell me, when you say that a credit average is nothing to be proud of, or for that matter satisfied with (Without exceptions noted, making this quite a broad statement that encompasses circumstances which you obviously have no understanding of), how is it that you think this can be interpreted as meaning anything other than what people have read into it?

What you've done is said (Or at least implied) that a credit average is NEVER something to be proud of or satisfied with, and the people responding are obviously of the opinion that in some circumstances it can be. Seeing as you're so fond of ridiculous examples which demonstrate precisely nothing, let's say someone gets hit by a car, has a baby, develops cancer then shits out their intestines; during each exam they sat for the entirety of their course, I'd say a C average would be a remarkable effort, and definitely something to be proud of!

Your refusal to state exactly what you do mean (Instead going with the "lolz it's obvious, you pplz are reading it wrong!" approach), further supports the conclusion that people have read correctly into what you've said, and that you're just an elitist polesmoker.

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
misscow said:
ok i have a few questions regarding this topic.
in da HSC i just use to do notes and then just learn them, if i didn't understand something i would just refer back to da textbook. I did that with all my subjects except maths and i worked for me, but the thing is the notes took too long to sometimes do.

My question is at uni do i do the same thing or how does everyone usually study at uni. i see the uni textbooks are really big, and for me to summarise that i need like a year (considering that i am slow), so what is the right way to go about things.

oh and another question do u take the textbooks with you 2 uni or how does it work.

and just incase ur wondering my course is gonna be something to do with business.

thanks
I do the same for uni as you did for school. But the notes are normally given by the lecturers and I just add anything else I need. I don't buy the textbooks so no, I do not bring them to uni, nor do I summarise them, nor have I ever needed them. I do have a flick through the texts in the library to check I am not missing out on anything major.

Craig

there goes my hero
HSC
From what I know a student who has a credit average is typically allowed to undertake honours, so doesn’t that show that a credit average is highly regarded. Universities wouldn’t set a sub standard level for students wishing to undertake advanced research work. In my view that shows that trained and experienced professionals see a credit average as quite an achievement.

HSC
Craig said:
From what I know a student who has a credit average is typically allowed to undertake honours, so doesn’t that show that a credit average is highly regarded. Universities wouldn’t set a sub standard level for students wishing to undertake advanced research work. In my view that shows that trained and experienced professionals see a credit average as quite an achievement.
You're a sensible lad, you'll go far :)

Benny1103

HSC
N/A
ogmzergrush said:
Certain status, lol, you could say that :)

So tell me, when you say that a credit average is nothing to be proud of, or for that matter satisfied with (Without exceptions noted, making this quite a broad statement that encompasses circumstances which you obviously have no understanding of), how is it that you think this can be interpreted as meaning anything other than what people have read into it?
You use the word obvious so I assume you understand what it means. In that case, it should have been obvious, that I wasn't making the kind of general statement which you suggest that I made.

ogmzergrush said:
What you've done is said (Or at least implied) that a credit average is NEVER something to be proud of or satisfied with, and the people responding are obviously of the opinion that in some circumstances it can be. Seeing as you're so fond of ridiculous examples which demonstrate precisely nothing, let's say someone gets hit by a car, has a baby, develops cancer then shits out their intestines; during each exam they sat for the entirety of their course, I'd say a C average would be a remarkable effort, and definitely something to be proud of!
Good example. Unfortunately, I'm not the one who is "fond" of stupid examples. If you had read the thread then you would have seen that ridiculous examples such as ones where students which almost identical grades are compared, were not produced by me.

ogmzergrush said:
Your refusal to state exactly what you do mean (Instead going with the "lolz it's obvious, you pplz are reading it wrong!" approach), further supports the conclusion that people have read correctly into what you've said, and that you're just an elitist polesmoker.
I don't know why I even bother with you. What I meant is obvious. But since you can't even understand what I said (which is hard to believe since you and others have obscured the meaning behind my initial posts) I will explain to you. What you have missed (or rather, ignored) is that I said something along the lines of 'I am of the view..." It is an opinion which wasn't even attempted to be imposed on anyone. Yet you still seem to think it is. Just because I don't think a pass or credit average is adequate for me personally, doesn't mean that I think others should believe the same thing. Get that through your thick head.

Response to ogmzergrush's post below this one: You seem to have missed the part where I was criticised for apparently being ignorant. Besides you said it should have been obvious - what I meant that is. Me defending myself doesn't suddenly make what I said before any less obvious unless people purposely ignore what I say.

Last edited:
HSC
Benny1103 said:
Is that supposed to be something to be proud of/happy with/satisified with?
To me it looks looks more like you're questioning someone's satisfaction in their own results, rather than stating that it is your opinion that the average mentioned isn't up to your standards, for you. I really don't see the "in my opinion" there.

Edit: And yes, perhaps it should be obvious that you weren't making that sort of generalisation, but when you carry on with all this to support your statement, rather than saying "oh no, I meant just for me personally", well, I think you can understand why people got the wrong idea.

Last edited:

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
LOL how things get blown out of proportion. benny doesn't think a credit average is good, good for him, it doesn't mean the rest of us think like that. argument over. i don't know why it started to begin with.

edit: the bit quoted above did sound like you were rubbishing their marks though benny, besides that, since you have explained yourself, i understand you are stating your opinion

stazi

Nightman
HSC
I've managed to go very well in Sem 2 by:
1) Getting a laptop
2) Typing up extended notes from what the lecturer says during lectures
3) Summarise the required readings

MedNez

:o>---<
HSC
N/A
Benny1103 I asked politely for this to be civil and it has failed to do so. This topic can serve no futher purpose except cause users futher distress. Topic closed.

jase_

Moderator Jase
HSC
Yes, agreed. If the original poster wants to start another thread and stay on topic, then they are welcome to :).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)