how do you study for Adv. English? (1 Viewer)

bbychocoholic

HSC
my teacher recommends
spending half an hr practising creative writing
writing practice theses/thesis for the different types of essay questions.
learning the quotes and whatnot of the texts.

but i'm not too positive doing this will help me. so i'm curious as to how everyone's going about it and maybe pick up a few ideas so i can improve my marks for trials and the HSC.

x jiim

zimbardooo.
HSC
Uni Grad
I look at a few past questions for each module and AOS, pick out the one I hate least, write an essay and memorise it. with creatives, I come up with ideas before hand, write them out and then remember the general flow of it.

wouldn't recommend this though, it's a bit of a bitch to memorise 4500words+

NewiJapper

HSC
I create tables where i have the concept/theme followed by technique--->quote--->effect----->purpose---->link back to theme

I do this for all the major themes and concept within the text and they are slightly different for all modules. For eg, for module A i would also have context as a part of the table and for module b i would have other critics views or different interpretations

After doing that I apply them to different types of questions and try to get some that are completely opposite of each other to get a better of understanding of how my study notes can fit the question.

AFTER that :p I write another essay that isn't based on a specific question but a broad one thats based on the module. For eg, module A could be like 'connections between the two texts and context' or for module b 'how has the composers work stood the test of time?' or something on the lines of that :p

AFTER that, I memorise that general essay and make sure i know my tables XD

All that got me 97/105 for my trial mark. It works for me? Hope some of it helps you :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)