How do you study for Section1? (1 Viewer)

pezdog

HSC
Ok, my art teacher was an absolute dud, she wasnt there most of the year and when she was she didnt teach us anything about art theory

I got about 60% in my trial, i lost most of my marks in Section1...essay wasnt too bad. I havnt done any study since before the trials because of studying for other subjects but now its my last exam and ive got just under a week to study for it. Except i dont know where to start :S

How should i study for section1? Any tips?

adriana08

HSC
yep..
- do as MANY past papers as you can (in the allocated time)
- be familiar with the structure of the first section ie. majority of the time part a is 5 marks, part b is 8 marks, and part c is 12 marks..and one question is about the frames, one about the conceptual framework and one about artists practice)
- know all of the ground work info in great detail - ie frames, con. framework and practice..what are they? how can you relate them to diff questions?

hope this helps..its basic, but its the only thing you can really do as they are all unseen stimulus..good luck :)
if you need anything else let me know..

MadamGuilia

HSC
I agree with the truthful person above me..

When you are analysing the texts of past papers think:
What's the demand? e.g. ...'interpret', 'evaluate', 'explain', etc.

What's the area of course content? i.e. ...is it a 'Frames' question, a 'Conceptual Framework' question or an 'artists practice' question

What are the key words? ...according to the area of course content, this one speaks for itself

What is the descriminator? ...basically just refer to the information given!

Last edited:

morgoe

HSC
Right..

Uh, I got full marks for the first section, but I don't know how flukey or not that was, or how hard my teacher was marking it.

Basically..
I do extension english and the ability to write well helps a LOT.
See what effect the artwork has on you. If its an installation, put yourself in it. Point out everything, including its flaws. We had one artwork that was a series of videos in an installation from 10 years ago as well as some other artwork and we had to discuss the effects of technology on art. So I said that while the 10-yr-old installation artwork tried to immerse the viewer, the pixels were very obvious and ruined the believability of the piece, however in modern day viewers cant really tell a technology-created artwork from a traditionally-created one.

Focus on what the question is asking. If it the cultural frame DONT talk about the structure or composition unless it relates somehow to the cultural message in it.

Approach it as an English text.. english comprehension you get a few unseen texts and have to draw techniques and stuff from it, this is the exact same thing. Use the same methods you use there. The good bit in Art is that you can make up stuff as long as you back it up. :)

MadamGuilia

HSC
morgoe said:
Right..

Uh, I got full marks for the first section, but I don't know how flukey or not that was, or how hard my teacher was marking it.

Basically..
I do extension english and the ability to write well helps a LOT.
See what effect the artwork has on you. If its an installation, put yourself in it. Point out everything, including its flaws. We had one artwork that was a series of videos in an installation from 10 years ago as well as some other artwork and we had to discuss the effects of technology on art. So I said that while the 10-yr-old installation artwork tried to immerse the viewer, the pixels were very obvious and ruined the believability of the piece, however in modern day viewers cant really tell a technology-created artwork from a traditionally-created one.

Focus on what the question is asking. If it the cultural frame DONT talk about the structure or composition unless it relates somehow to the cultural message in it.

Approach it as an English text.. english comprehension you get a few unseen texts and have to draw techniques and stuff from it, this is the exact same thing. Use the same methods you use there. The good bit in Art is that you can make up stuff as long as you back it up. :)
haha you helped me too.. i shall BE in the artwork - of course!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)