How do you Study Math General? I need help in Techniques (1 Viewer)

AJohnston1121

HSC
Hey,

I could of handled 2Unit but Was too lazy. Now i've become Lazy in General scoring late 70's in Tests. I know I can acheieve more just was wondering how you studied/study for General Math?

I want my marks to scale up not down :)

cro_angel

<3<3<3
HSC
the only way you can study for general maths is doing questions and lots of them
i did many past papers before the hsc (i highly recommend the pink general maths book with specimen and past papers with full worked answers) but that isnt enough.. you need to go through your textbook and do all the chapter reviews/topic tests and specimen papers in there.. the gen maths excel book is also good in looking for more questions but usually explanations of things are better in your textbook
i also need to stress the importance of doing your homework.. if the teacher sets you something to do you need to do it! i fell down about halfway through the year because i couldnt be bothered doing my maths homework and it bit me in the ass right before trials where i realised i didnt know some things we had learned (due to not doing my homework and practicing what was taught in the class)
if you arent prepared to put effort into doing your homework every night and practicing exam technique and many past papers.. its hard to succeed
good luck for the year and if you have issues with particular problems dont hesitate to ask and we will try our best to help

AJohnston1121

HSC
Thanks I was VERY slack in Year 11. I would just cruise along without doing study or homework and still get 70's but I really want to aim for 90's. Thanks for your help, I think our school is going to buy those pink books (I know what your talking about cause they showed them to us)

cro_angel

<3<3<3
HSC
if you do well in all of your subjects you shall be rewarded
dont think you can get a high uai with getting band 2/3 in 4u maths 4u english physics and chem

em_516

bludging..
HSC
i got 94 and i got a pretty good uai (definitely much more than i was expecting)..i also did pretty good in all my other subjects too though so that could have something to do with it..

anyway, you're doing general maths..do well and there's less chance of scaling down bigtime..do crap, and there's more chance of scaling down..so try hard :D

and back to cro_angel's first post..that's exactly what you need to do! it kinda sounds like a lot..but in reality it's not..and worth it in the end..

Danoz The Great

HSC
The only way you can learn maths is by doing your work, you can't just read it and attempt to learn it from that. so do past papers, exercises and revision chapters from your text, and write all formulas you come across and stick them to your desk. that way, if you get stuck, you can look up and find it, and then you'll get to know it through repitition.

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC
if you want to be good at maths you have to do heaps of exercises.. like seriously, heaps... :cool:
when your teacher tells you to do half of some exercise, go home and do all of it if you can. when you practise a lot you remember it so much better :) it's like playing the piano - you're only good at it if you practise all the time.
and also... you have to understand everything that you need to know. even if it's really hard... which general maths isn't... you have to know exactly what they're talking about otherwise you won't be able to do the work yourself. ;)
general maths isn't too hard to manage :) just put some more time into it and you'll be fine.

Trev

stix
HSC
Dreamerish*~ said:
if you want to be good at maths you have to do heaps of exercises.. like seriously, heaps... :cool:
doing heaps of exercises also increases your speed, like, it becomes fairly rote after a while and its quickkkkk! :uhhuh:

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC
exactly :) like when you're doing a lot of trig functions, after awhile you remember all the exact values and don't need to look at the tables anymoe ^^
but i think trig functions is 3 unit... :confused:

em_516

bludging..
HSC
and don't be afraid to ask your teacher for help if you don't get something!! i usually hate doing that..but did in maths because sometimes a question would just fully puzzle me and i'd HAVE to know the answer lol..as soon as the teacher tells you you realise it was easy anyway and go back to your seat......but it sinks in..

well..did for me anyway..

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC
sometimes it's good to try really hard to figure something out yourself before you ask.
if you can't do it, don't just ask someone to explain because that way you'll never get to work it out yourself and following someone else's explanation (even when you understand every step) is very different to working it out yourself.
doing it yourself kind of exercises your brain and it's a lot more effective than always reading answers.
i spent half an hour on this annoying trig question yesterday but in the end i got it :)

Demandred

HSC
Try to do as many past papers as possible prior to the exams. I managed to gain 12 different papers before the HSC - past school papers, independent papers, HSC and catholic ones. I also had 3 different maths texts books of which all the excercises were completed.

In the end, it will be the amount of practise that would determine your results. Before I did these things i was getting in the 70s, I got 91 in the end, so it really pays off.

em_516

bludging..
HSC
Dreamerish*~ said:
sometimes it's good to try really hard to figure something out yourself before you ask.
if you can't do it, don't just ask someone to explain because that way you'll never get to work it out yourself and following someone else's explanation (even when you understand every step) is very different to working it out yourself.
doing it yourself kind of exercises your brain and it's a lot more effective than always reading answers.
i spent half an hour on this annoying trig question yesterday but in the end i got it :)
but who has time to work out one question for 30mins!! excercise books always have more than one question..if you ask your teacher how to do the first one, you'll pick it up yourself after completing all of the others..

i know that a lot of people would just leave that question out rather than working at it for ages..

K

katie_tully

AJohnston1121 said:
Hey,

I could of handled 2Unit but Was too lazy. Now i've become Lazy in General scoring late 70's in Tests. I know I can acheieve more just was wondering how you studied/study for General Math?

I want my marks to scale up not down :)
lol.
i did Advanced in year 10, and aced it. I could have done 2 U, but decided I'd do General "coz it'd be a breeze"
Fark, i got by year 11 with 55% exam marks :|
man, the only thing you can do is question, after question. you're only going to ace the subject if you keep revising. when you finish a topic, go back to it after a week or two to refresh your memory.
do the tests at the back, do the trial hsc exams. put formulas on the back of your toilet door so you can study :p

AJohnston1121

HSC
katie_tully said:
put formulas on the back of your toilet door so you can study :p

Yes My teacher told our class to print of numerous copies.

Put One on the back of the toilet door. Put onein a plastic sleve in the shower, put one on the ceiling above your bed. Put one one the dinner table etc etc. But don't u get a formula sheet anyways?

K

katie_tully

AJohnston1121 said:
Yes My teacher told our class to print of numerous copies.

Put One on the back of the toilet door. Put onein a plastic sleve in the shower, put one on the ceiling above your bed. Put one one the dinner table etc etc. But don't u get a formula sheet anyways?
yeah but there are still some they dont give you

sladehk

le random
HSC
to learn you need the desire of learning

sladehk

le random
HSC
does anyone else here have the problem of forgetting most of what you studied the night before?

PC

HSC
N/A
That's why you've got to do your homework! :)

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)