How do you study? (1 Viewer)

lath

HSC
For social science subjects (geography, economics, business etc.), how do you study? Do you make notes? Do you memorise chunks of information? Do you do practice papers?

delian

HSC
N/A
For economics, I read the textbook(making sure I understood it), then made concise notes.

Examine

same
HSC
My business studies routine (Marketing Topic)

-Make comprehensive notes
-Make summary notes linked with case study (Case study very important)
-Go over multiple choice and short answer questions related to the topic from past papers.

As for memorising a chunk of information I try understand each of the information of the syllabus so that if the topic does pop up as a short answer, I can refer back to what I wrote in my summary notes and flesh it out.

For the time I study on Business Studies I try do 2 hours a day on note writing, note revising and short answers and multiple choice questions. My teacher is dedicated so I just send my short answers to him for marking.

Though I am an accelerant (HSC in Year 11) so you might not be able to do that since you have other subjects to focus on as well.

Drop in the Social Science subtopic in the forums a bit. We have some good resources and stuff.

Last edited:

epicFAILx

HSC
depends on the subject :)

but No.1 advice: doing past papers in that subjects ACTUALLY helps!

answermydream

HSC
I write summaries and use only the information in my summary to answer practice questions (like an open book test). I also shorten my summaries every so often, sometimes completely re-write them with additional research and then attempt more questions. Sometimes I attempt the question more than once making sure I word the introduction differently each time, that way when I'm in the exam room I don't have to quickly think up an intro on the spot (I find the introduction is the hardest part), I can use something I've planned

loaves

HSC
Make a good set of notes throughout the year. (But for eco, make sure you update it with all you

Before exams, make essay plans (and/or essays, depending on how much time you have) on every syllabus point that's being tested.

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
1) Summarise the course
2) Find real world examples which aren't used in textbooks to complement your notes

Memorising is important but you need to develop a particular strategy in doing so. I never like to memorise entire sections of content so I prefer to ensure I can recall the basics easily and then much of the extensive stuff flows more naturally.

Prior to the HSC, I don't really recall doing past papers within a strict time. I generally wrote essay plans and answer guides for past papers instead as I was rather confident about my ability to write on exam day.

hayabusaboston

HSC
Just photograph the page with your brain. It works. Not joking, some people have it.
alternatively read the book soo much that you have it visualised in your brain and can basically read the book and turn pages in your head while visualising it all. It takes practice, but you can get to the point where you dont need a cheat sheet in exams because the information from the textbook is imaged very clearly in your consciousness. That's like, the ultimate way to do exams.

By the way that method requires VERY intense focus, and lots of repetition. It will take a few weeks, but come on, with it you get everything you'll ever need for an exam, its all photographed in your brain, through training.

Last edited:
K

khorne

Understand. Many people just memorise, but if you study enough or read enough or write enough, you begin to understand, and have no need to.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)