how do you use the english syllabus? (1 Viewer)

astroman

HSC
Hey guy's, i'm confused as to how to use the english syllabus, it doesn't really say what you have to do and what needs to completed...can anyone explain what i need to use from the syllabus and how i can use it to make my essays?

thanks

essayqueen

HSC
N/A
Hi :) I know that your 'Area of Study' is discovery, but if you PM me your email address I can forward you details for a FREE copy of the 'HSC Marker's Tips: AOS' for belonging. This pack includes a simplified explanation of the syllabus which can also be applied to your new prescriptions/AOS.

(please mention what you would like sent to you as I get a lot of PM's and do not always remember what ppl have requested :( )

bongoli

HSC
use the rubric... it's basically what your essay will be about.. so have a read of it and try to incorporate whats in the syllaboose into your essay.

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Below is an example of how you can do this with the HSC Belonging rubric, you can deconstruct other modules through a similar manner

1)Deconstruct your belonging rubric-all questions will come from it-so deconstruct it into 5/6 main points. For me, I deconstructed it into the following points:
-Perceptions and ideas of belonging, or of not belonging, vary. These perceptions are shaped within personal, cultural, historical and social contexts.
-A sense of belonging can emerge from the connections made with people, places, groups, communities and the larger world.
-Within this Area of Study, students may consider aspects of belonging in terms of experiences and notions of identity, relationships, acceptance and understanding.
-Texts explore many aspects of belonging, including the potential of the individual to enrich or challenge a community or group. Texts may also represent choices not to belong, or barriers which prevent belonging
-They may reflect the way attitudes to belonging are modified over time.

2)See which parts of your prescribed text best relates to each of the 5/6 main points and list out relevant techniques/quotes/effects to support/expand these main points-can be about belonging or not belonging. Remember to analyse your related text(s) to the main points you have come up covering the whole rubric and relate it to your prescribed text-include relevant quotes, techniques and effects as well.

3)You can either construct paragraphs for each of the main points integrating the techniques/quotes/effects you have extracted from the memoir or start writing practice essays using your notes-and get someone to mark the essay and give you comment and feedback. Paragraphs are better than one long generic essay as there are many components in the rubric.

4)When you do practice essays, you can practice according to trial questions, however, you can alternate this with doing essay plans for other questions-writing out your introduction, body paragraph thesis point-example, technique, quote, effect, and your conclusion to make sure you can adapt your knowledge to as many essay as possible

Mrmellow

HSC
What is a PM in your context? How do I PM you? Could I please have the simplified rubric? Thanks

wonderer

HSC
N/A
can you send me the 'hsc Marker's tips: AOS"?? IT WOULD BE WONDERFUL!!

_blank

HSC
Uni Grad
As other posters have said above, the rubrics are what you will be marked against and are a definite read. I would also recommend reading the Prescriptions for 2015: http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/syllabus_hsc/english/eng-std-adv-prescriptions-2015-20.html . These provide a brief description/explanation of what each module etc is about. I would also hope that your teacher will explain each module to you and what is required as you go along. For now, I would not worry too much about what you're required to do for each module.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)