How do you use the Mac Library scanners to copy documents to your USB? (1 Viewer)

Kingportable

HSC
I was dumbfounded on friday running around the library trying to scan Chapter 1 of this reserve book on to my USB at the library for my unit so i can read it on the train, when i realised i had no idea what to do haha. Do you scan all your page first --> then scan your card at the only printer with a card scanners --> plug in your usb to save? I dunno if you plug your usb to machine it self or the computer.

Also please tell me if this would get me into trouble i'm not planning on scanning the entire book and if it wasn't on temporary reserve i wouldn't be scanning at all anyway. Teachers do it all the time anyways and they never seem to get in trouble. The 3 hour limit isn't really doing me any favours as well i'm really a text book learner so generally i need to have this sort of experience of a topic before i can listen to and discuss a topic.

Thanks in advance =)

Last edited:

Macqncheese

Banned
HSC
N/A
Ask the staff.

They probably wouldn't be to happy if you scan the e-reserve. You might get told off, but you won't get in trouble.

Kingportable

HSC
E-reserve? Aren't they like exam papers that are already online or something hence the "E" part (for electronic). Why would they be mad for the and not Reserve?

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
There's a piece of paper on the print machines you can read that has a step by step of the process...

Macqncheese

Banned
HSC
N/A
E-reserve? Aren't they like exam papers that are already online or something hence the "E" part (for electronic). Why would they be mad for the and not Reserve?
Sorry, I meant the reserve.

Copyright I guess, not sure. Ask them.

Legally you are allowed to copy 10% for educational purposes

Kingportable

HSC
There's a piece of paper on the print machines you can read that has a step by step of the process...
Of course I read that but there seems to be other processes that i am missing mate =/

Kingportable

HSC
Sorry, I meant the reserve.

Copyright I guess, not sure. Ask them.

Legally you are allowed to copy 10% for educational purposes
Sweet thanks man, if they tell me off i'll just divide the numbers of pages by 10% and yell out suck it's for educational purpose! =)

Macqncheese

Banned
HSC
N/A
Sweet thanks man, if they tell me off i'll just divide the numbers of pages by 10% and yell out suck it's for educational purpose! =)
Yep.

My high school extorted that law for so long. Haha, it is actually written in a few of my HSC textbooks, that educational textbooks can be photocopied 10% for educational reasons.

THis may be for teaching and not private use, however fuck it. I doubt much will happen. I use to print textbooks at highschool

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Of course I read that but there seems to be other processes that i am missing mate =/
Not really, its pretty stock standard :\

Try it again and make sure you've got a FAT32 formatted USB

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
I had to scan bulk documents to pdf last year for a research project, it does work if you follow the instructions, but only for like 3 minutes before the machine locks you out (which kind of fucks you up if you're trying to create one large pdf).

There IS a work around, but it's a bit complicated; i had to work with library staff for nearly half an hour to figure out how to bypass the 3 minute lockout time. Ask the staff, just make sure you explain very clearly what you are wanting to do.

No one will care what you're doing.

If you read the instructions the way it works is that you put the usb in first, then tap your card, then go through like a million menus on the photocopier to scan into a single pdf doc. / multiple pdf doc. / jpg etc.

The whole scanning process takes quite a while, be sure to check the books out of reserve and do your scanning on a non-reserve photocopier. This way you won't piss off those only wanting to photocopy one or two pages in reserve.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)