How do you work at home (for ppl with siblings) (1 Viewer)

aud

HSC
Lately, I've been getting so annoyed, I have two brothers 10 and 7, and they don't stop talking, it's physically impossible for them... the latest technique I have is bringing the youngest in to sit on my floor and sit in silence while I work, but I hear every sound in my house, does anyone have any ideas on what to do? Do earplugs work?

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Play a radio to drown out the noise, lock your door, duct tape them up...

~*HSC 4 life*~

HSC
N/A
i would suggest normally to go toa library....but after my experiences at the library last week i'd reconsider...lol hence my 'argh! libraries' thread

aud

HSC
Originally posted by Xayma
Play a radio to drown out the noise, lock your door, duct tape them up...
But then I start singing... and don't focus... and my door doesn't have a lock, but even if it did, I'd still here everything through it... and I'm not allowed to duct tape them :D

Originally posted by dark`secrets
go somewhere that is peace and quiet?
Any suggestions?

suz

HSC
My sister didn't shut up and was ALWAYS singing on her karaoke machine so earplugs was what I used, I also got into a routine of studying late at night when she was asleep, mum also put her in sporting activities to keep her out of the house
If nothing else go to the library
I felt your pain lol

aud

HSC
Ahh... all the libraries close to me suck... really really suck... and they're too far away to spend hours each day at, unfortunately. I love libraries, but they're so far away and inconvenient

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by aud
and I'm not allowed to duct tape them :D
Superglue, rope, blindfold them and leave them in bushland.

poloktim

\(^o^)/
HSC
Originally posted by aud
Lately, I've been getting so annoyed, I have two brothers 10 and 7, and they don't stop talking, it's physically impossible for them... the latest technique I have is bringing the youngest in to sit on my floor and sit in silence while I work, but I hear every sound in my house, does anyone have any ideas on what to do? Do earplugs work?
Threaten beatings if they don't shut up. They put you to test, poke them a few times with your ruler (hard enough), if they still don't listen, break it over one of their heads.

If you'd rather not use "domestic violence" then you could always do what I did, study on the bus. I took a bus to school for an hour every morning, the perfect way to study. Nobody disturbed me because I wore a school uniform and that made me automagically a dangerous person which everyone wants to keep away from. It ruled.

aLeeOh!

about to explode
HSC
lol.... domestic violence... how oh so tempting!
dont worry aud, i have the same problem sometimes... but i try to distract myself... i know thats bad coz i prolong doin any homework that its always last minute... but for me?...i need to GET OUT OF THE HOUSE sometimes.... after youve worn yourself out silly, sometimes you really get inspired to do some work.... but you know what?....
is it that your brothers are actually bothering you by talking TO YOU and punching and stuff,..... or are you just buggered at them for being KIDS? hmm... just go outside and study.ignore it.either they'll shut up, or you'll just get used to it.. either way, in the end... you'll find a way

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
tell them to stfu. it only adds to your stress levels. reward them for good behaivour? get your parents in on it. force them to stay at the other end of the house. close all doors.

Winston

HSC
well thats what happened for me during HSC, so fuck them all :p.. i put on my earphones and pumped up the volume :D... and closed my door, locked it, no one bothered me for a day.

Marie-Paule

i start off working n then i hear my bro like watchin sumthing n laughin n then he calls me n i go see wat he wants n end up watchin the whole movie with him....its so bad

cro_angel

<3<3<3
HSC
i have 2 brothers who have both left home and are married with kids.. so im kinda like an only child
the internet is my biggest distraction.. its like an addiction lol

Enlightened_One

King of Bullshit
HSC
If you have your P's mate go somewhere quiet. And if you live in the city then you are gonna have to leave it, because there is no where quiet in the city.
I don't mind parks, especially the harder to find, down the back roads etc. Unfortunatey they are shit places when it's windy or raining.
The only other suggestion I have is to go somewhere the noise makes no sense. It's a lot different if you don't no anyone there and no one is talking to you.
Find the most crowded shop (I myself was in a Newcastle coffee shop at breakfast time) with tables. The noise is just a sort of din that makes no sense. Sort of like rain on a tin roof, something that you could ignore.
Otherwise, if both those ideas don't work, go to the library

santaslayer

HSC
Originally posted by aud
Lately, I've been getting so annoyed, I have two brothers 10 and 7, and they don't stop talking, it's physically impossible for them... the latest technique I have is bringing the youngest in to sit on my floor and sit in silence while I work, but I hear every sound in my house, does anyone have any ideas on what to do? Do earplugs work? [/QUOTE

library, park.......

at our school we had the option of studying 2hours after school in the library.....maybe u ould suggest that to the school?

Tarek

hehehe my younger brother got sent overseas for the holidays for 2 months when he came back he was different, he was quiet. but i think its starting to wear off again so i think its back to giving up on h/w and doing it in roll call or right before class lol...

you could always go to sleep extra early and wake up at about 4 i dont think anyone is going to be up at 4 and do your h/w then. i did that a few times.... but when it comes to winter JUST TRY AND GET ME OUTA BED!

aud

HSC
Ahh... they're all great ideas but so impractical... I'm on the same road as the school - no bus/train, they don't respond to violence because they like it, they don't have a concept of why I need silence because they haven't been in Aust that long, my youngest brother's only been in Aust since September, no coffee shops around... does anyone actually know Cherrybrook? It's so... distant from everything :p And I can't stay at school - have to go home to let them in the house, etc, etc...

It's not that they're just kids, but they just speak to themselves non-stop and scream and complain... and it's not to me in particular, which makes it worse, because then I find myself listening more.

Haha... me waking up at 4... No.

Oh well... it's just me having a whinge... at the moment I'm sitting here listening to my whole family talk VERY loudly to each other (ie, scream), in the kitchen, and I'm on the other side of the house... :(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)