How does advanced mathematics help commerce? (1 Viewer)

KevinWu

HSC
Hey guys i'll been reading around about advanced mathematics and i'll read that apparently it helps finance (which is ultimately what i want ot work in).Does it?

If so, I HAVE A MAJOR DILLEMA.

On the UNSW OPEN day on the 5th of jan. the uni people said theres a new commerce/b sc (advanced maths) course. is that more helpful for commerce than commerce/law or commerce/science?

DO I CHOOSE COMM/LAW or COMMERCE/SCIENCE or COMMERCE/b sc (advanced maths)?? (WHICH enhances job prospects in the finance sector??)

Studentleader

HSC
N/A
Because Mathematics makes you think logically and creatively as opposed to law which tells you to bend rules not your mind.

pc1992

HSC
how about adv maths ( financial mathematics + statistics)/ law or commerce /law
which one is better

HSC
N/A
if you plan on doing finance or economics then definately do Comm/Adv Maths.

Law is just the new arts degree and no longer signals intellegence.

KevinWu

HSC
if you plan on doing finance or economics then definately do Comm/Adv Maths.

Law is just the new arts degree and no longer signals intellegence.
Is there a reason why? I've heard Adv. Maths is very theoretical, obviously, N because of that it wouldn't help finance. Plus, apparently the mathematics in finance is easy and wouldn't require adv. maths.

Do you do comm/adv maths at uni??

dvse

HSC
N/A
Is financial mathematics + statistics a major in adv. maths??
"Financial maths and statistics" is one way to ensure that you dont know any real mathematics by the end of your degree. If you study pure mathematics, you will have more "mathematical maturity" and will understand applied topics easily. Here is an example of a sensible program:

Harvard Mathematics Department : Graduate Information

In terms of employment in IBs etc it might be preferable to do honours in finance rather than in maths (which is what "advanced science" @ unsw really amounts to - a regular BSc where you are restricted to "advanced" versions of courses when available and do the honours year).

Omnidragon

Devil
HSC
Uni Grad
comm/law will help you earn stigma/prestige among the wider community. people across many fields will go 'whoooaaa you're a lawyer' and perhaps have a better first imperssion

doing pure maths is just pure gunnage to the maxibornssss. if you were looking for a high-powered finance job, showing people that you aced pure maths will make eyes roll

that said if you're just going to get ordinary marks, go do comm/law because getting a crap mark in pure maths is not impressive and bsc is itself definitely lessi impressive than llb

Affinity

HSC
how about adv maths ( financial mathematics + statistics)/ law or commerce /law
which one is better
do Science + Law; Commerce didn't teach me that much

Last edited:

pc1992

HSC
he';s saying : do science/ law
commerce didnt teach him that much ( i assume cos it was an easy degree)

Studentleader

HSC
N/A
I dropped commerce after my first year for being easy as piss and boring as shit (accounting was ok.)

In the time it would have taken me to get my B.Comm/B.Sc I will now have B.Sc(Hons) and half a year to spend on my PhD/graduate employment.

Omar-Comin

HSC
N/A
I dropped commerce after my first year for being easy as piss and boring as shit (accounting was ok.)

In the time it would have taken me to get my B.Comm/B.Sc I will now have B.Sc(Hons) and half a year to spend on my PhD/graduate employment.
what are you doing for your PhD?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)