• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

How Does Antibiotics Make A Bacteria Become Resistant? I Need A Reply Asap! (1 Viewer)

syriangabsta

HSC
N/A
Re: How Does Antibiotics Make A Bactria Become Resistant? I Need A Reply Asap!e

Takuto said:
i woulda just wrote about natural selection and how there is variation in every species of bacteria.. some are already immune so the use of antibiotics kills of the non-resistant strains and the remaining resistant ones survive, reproduce and prosper over time.. wouldnt this be enough for 2-3 marks

and whats all this about incorrect use of antibiotics? someone explain this to me please

like, how would using antibiotic on a virus (which is ineffective) or using the wrong antibiotic on a bacteria lead to bacteria becoming resistant? dont remember learning this lol

wouldn't incorrect use be like midifile said and mean not taking whole course of antibiotics etc.?
i think if u use the wrong antibiotics, the bacteria will become resistant to this "wrng" antibiotic..and resistant to every other "wrong" and "right" antibiotic....so then u have a super bacteria which is resistat to like all antibiotics..

HSC

Takuto said:
and whats all this about incorrect use of antibiotics? someone explain this to me please

like, how would using antibiotic on a virus (which is ineffective) or using the wrong antibiotic on a bacteria lead to bacteria becoming resistant? dont remember learning this lol

wouldn't incorrect use be like midifile said and mean not taking whole course of antibiotics etc.?
Its kinda like the making of anti-venoms. Injecting a horse with small amounts of the venom builds their immunity to the venom then the antibodies are 'harvested' for use...

Anyway if your don't complete your course of antibiotics, like you said, it can have the same effect. Also common use of antibiotics in things like soaps and creams (also mentioned) will have the effect of prolonged exposure and hence increase immunity of individual bacteria (which then replicate) due to the evolutionary pressure of natural selection.

Hope that helps.

Cheers.

Takuto

HSC

WantToDoBetter said:
Its kinda like the making of anti-venoms. Injecting a horse with small amounts of the venom builds their immunity to the venom then the antibodies are 'harvested' for use...

Anyway if your don't complete your course of antibiotics, like you said, it can have the same effect. Also common use of antibiotics in things like soaps and creams (also mentioned) will have the effect of prolonged exposure and hence increase immunity of individual bacteria (which then replicate) due to the evolutionary pressure of natural selection.

Hope that helps.

Cheers.
Woah okay. i didnt know that bacteria have their own 'immune system' style response. lol

ta

HSC

Takuto said:
Woah okay. i didnt know that bacteria have their own 'immune system' style response. lol

ta
Very sorry, my anagloy confused you. The bacteria don't have an immune response such as a human or horse, bacteria are way to simple.

What I was getting at is that if bacteria are exposed to small, incomplete or constant dosages of antibiotics it acts as an evolutionary pressure for change (Natural Selection).

The bacteria can then MUTATE to create a gene that allows it to survive the antibiotic (eg. secrete a chemical). This process is no where near as quick as a complex organisms immune respose but for the decades that society have now been using antibiotics strains that weren't resistant before are starting or already have resistance now.

Hope i didn't confuse you to much.

Cheers.

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
Antibiotic abuse is bad.

Remember kids, antibiotics can't cure a common cold. So stop coming into my place of work and asking.

:wave:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)