• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

How does course preference work for medicine, UAC! (2 Viewers)

Helpoz

HSC
Hey guys, I need some quick advice,
If I put something like engineering as first preference with an ATAR of 91 and I'm getting an ATAR of 99. Reason why I'd put it first is for a scholarship for having first preference or something like that.
THEN, I'd have UWS MBBS second preference, but Im not sure whether I will make it to interviews. So I thought it would be worthwhile putting the engineering course as 1st just as a fail-safe plan.
HOWEVER, apparently UAC only goes down preference order one by one. Meaning, if I get into Engineering, they wont look at my second preference.
Is that how it works - in particular for an MBBS course with a different course criteria?

Please help and thanks!

avro

HSC
They give you your first preference if you're eligible for it. So, if you want to do Med, put it first and Engineering second. If you want to do Engineering, put it first.

If you get a 99 ATAR, and don't make it into Med, well, you'll get into Engineering. You have to decide what you really want to do more.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
UAC allocates people to courses starting with the highest ATARs first.

As they finish with one ATAR they move down to the next one. If there are additional criteria to be met that will already be in the system and will allow or disallow you to be offered the preference e.g. you have to do an interview and that interview went badly so the uni isn't going to accept you regardless of marks the uni will have already sent through to UAC that fact so when UAC gets to your ATAR you won't get in anyway as you would have been crossed off the eligibility list - along with those who didn't apply to meet the additional criteria.

Your first preference is always awarded first regardless of having lower preferences with a higher ATAR. If when UAC reaches your ATAR there are no places left in your first preference they would go to your second preference - and if it has vacancies you will get in, if it is already full then they will go to the third etc.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)