• Best of luck to the class of 2024 for their HSC exams. You got this!
    Let us know your thoughts on the HSC exams here
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

How does English Modules work for HSC? (1 Viewer)

SpaceUnicorn

HSC
Lowkey i dont understand anything about the structure of Year 12 english.

Like what is mod a, mod b, mod c, common module. (why is it called common??)

also whats the structure of HSC tasks. like what is the differnce Paper 1 and Paper 2,

Pls help me out. Btw im doing English advanced in case its different from standard...

tvskAXatar

HSC
Common Mod (usually Term 4 2024) - as name suggests, shared with standard. You learn the same ideas and concepts of 'Texts and Human Experiences', but your assessment task and exam paper on the same topics are likely to be different (not easier or harder, just different)

Mod A (usually Term 1 next year) - Textual Conversations. Study of two texts telling the same 'story', one old text and one contemporary text, and the study of how the author of the second text considers the purpose of the author of the first text and retains, omits, subverts, reimagines, parodies various elements etc. There quite a few prescribed text pairs for this module your school can choose (you can see them on the NESA website), and you are forced to study the text pair your school chooses even if you like/are interested in another one and de facto forced to use this in your exam.

Mod B (usually Term 2 next year) - Critical Study of Literature. Study of a text and the author's purpose/intent in conveying messages for a bigger, deeper idea. There quite a few prescribed texts including films for this module your school can choose (you can see them on the NESA website), and you are forced to study the text your school chooses even if you like/are interested in another one and de facto forced to use this in your exam.

Mod C (usually Term 2/3 next year) - narrative writing, discursive writing, imaginative writing and informative writing skills and technqiues. While there are prescribed texts, you are not really forced to study a 'given' one for the exam - you can choose (might be the case for assessment), and you are given free choice in the exam on what prescribed text to use - they may not even ask for a prescribed text in this module, as was the case this year in the HSC. Arguably the most liberal one, but you need to familiarise yourself with how to write a good persuasive, imaginative, discursive AND informative as the exam can ask for either one, two or three of this four. Until 2024, everyone was lucky in that imaginative was always included - not anymore.

Last edited:

Lstudy

HSC
Based on advanced (idk about standard or EALD,etc) So paper one is 1 hour and 40 minutes long. It is called Paper 1 Texts and Human Experiences. It includes unseen responses to unseen texts. Then it includes an essay. I believe it is called common mod because it is a unit o shared by most of the levels of English.

Paper 2 is two hours long with five minutes of reading time. It is called Paper 2; Modules. It features Module A, or textual conversations, (a comparative essay of two texts), Module B, or a critical study of literature (an in-depth analysis of one text), and Module C Craft of Writing (CoW) it is basically the year 12 version of the prelim topic (I think the prelim one was called reading to write?) it is either a discursive piece of writing, a persuasive piece of writing or an imaginative piece of writing, and possibly a reflection.

I urge you to look at past papers for examples! :)

SpaceUnicorn

HSC
Thank you both so so much for responding! you have no idea how confused I was feeling when our teacher was talking about this without explaining the structure...

This helps a lot so thanks once again

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)