how does everyone pay for uni? (1 Viewer)

hermand

je t'aime.
HSC
Oh man i'm doing the same thing as you, saving up now so that i can afford to go to ANU next year.
I've already got a lame job lined up for canberra (because i work for a fast food chain haha), but i still don't know how i'm going to manage when i'm down there because my parents earn too much for youth allowance yet they can't afford to pay for my accomadation or living costs??

Just save heaps this year is the plan.
in EXACTLY the same situation as you. it sucks how our parents income affects whether you can get support or not, it's not like i can just take all my parents' money. that's what i'm going to try to do now. going to look for a job in a bookshop tomorrow =]].

what do you want to do at anu?

spagbowl

bread.
HSC
in EXACTLY the same situation as you. it sucks how our parents income affects whether you can get support or not, it's not like i can just take all my parents' money. that's what i'm going to try to do now. going to look for a job in a bookshop tomorrow =]].

what do you want to do at anu?
i want to do a B science/B Economics or a B engineering.

I really hope you get a job at a bookshop, that sounds like a cool job :).

hermand

je t'aime.
HSC
i want to do a B science/B Economics or a B engineering.

I really hope you get a job at a bookshop, that sounds like a cool job :).
good luck!

thanks =]].

much better than an ice creamery =||.

any other ideas from people who don't get youth allowance?

jas0nt

HSC
N/A
that's an admirable quality. are you pretty too?
eh.. going to nightclubs is overrated. a lotta nightclubs in canberra are ruined with 18 yo punks anyway who think flipping their collars is still cool (and hoes and shit like that)

i just go to wig and pen... they brew the best banana beer!

khing

King and Tyrant
HSC
eh.. going to nightclubs is overrated. a lotta nightclubs in canberra are ruined with 18 yo punks anyway who think flipping their collars is still cool (and hoes and shit like that)

i just go to wig and pen... they brew the best banana beer!

+1 for wig and pen. I always try to get a few half-pints of Russian Imperial when they have it on. Their other seasonal stuff is fantastic also, they had a brilliant chocolate/blackberry flavoured stout last winter which was just grand!

Andi0390

HSC
Share accommodation in Canberra can be cheaper than living on residence. I looked at a place today that was around $90 a week rent. If you lived very carefully you could afford it with just a part time job and have enough time to study. If you really want to pull it in you could spend only around $30 a week in food, but your main meals would be homebrand pasta and rice dishes. Get a bike and ride to uni, and you could live with $150 a week. It would be tough though.

Finding a place that cheap that is livable can also be hard. I generally pay $140 - $160 for an alright place in an alright location, but if you want to live centrally the quality goes down and the price rises - just generally, there are exceptions. If you wanted to live out Tuggeranong or maybe Gungahlin you could find better houses for lower rent, but then you have to travel, but bus travel in Canberra is quite cheap, we don't have zones or anything so it will cost you same if your close or far.

Alternatively, occasionally you can find families or elderly people who will let you live without paying rent for 5 - 10 hours of housework - or even nannying. Its less time working because you don't have to travel and you could do an hour of work everyday instead of big chunks. That way you wouldn't have to work long hours somewhere else. There might even be a business that does this.

They are my only real hints, sorry that they aren't that great.

jas0nt

HSC
N/A
also depends on your weekly wage. if you get an APS part time job (a call center monkey, for example), you'll get about $25/hour. do part time - 20 hours a week (this gives you AMPLE time to study aswell) and you'll get $500/week (before tax obviously) which means you can live like royalty. you can even work more on your holidays and save up to spend during uni.

jas0nt

HSC
N/A
but bus travel in Canberra is quite cheap
$50 for a term (Friday 30 January to Thursday 9 April) for unlimited travel.
then $8.20 for a ticket which gives you 10 rides, including transfers.

i don't think there's a cheaper Australian bus company than action...

blacksunset

HSC
i dont get any youth allowance. i work casually. aim for casual work rather than part time - it pays better.
15 hours a week is generally good enough

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
Work. Full-time.

Only part-time/casual is needed but I enjoy having a substantial income.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)