how does geography scale?? (1 Viewer)

crazysteph

HSC
hey does anyone know how geography scales?? i was told it scaled fairly well, but reading some posts, im starting to think otherwise

Bobness

English / Law
HSC
N/A
yeah normally it wouldn't scale too well compared to say chemistry, physics, biology (i.e. sciences), maths and even economics.

but if you chose it to start with, i'm sure you had SOME idea that it would be an uphill climb. the 2004 hsc top mark was 97 which is comparatively low to say the 99s and 98s you'd see as first place in other subjects - i'm pretty sure

Bobness

English / Law
HSC
N/A
well yeah pfft legal studies and business studies .. might as well do VET courses ;)

uberschveinen

HSC
uberschveinen said:
A word of advice: bugger scaling. It really doesn't matter. Firstly, scaling only comes into play if you're doing poorly in a subject, if you get really high marks the disadvantage will be completely offset. Secondly, for geography in particular, I'll tell you what my (kickass) geography teacher told me. Geography, unlike economics and 4 unit maths, is seen as a 'weak' subject. This means that poor students are easily attracted to it, whereas the smarter ones are driven away. So, if you're not stupid, the fact that you are probably smarter than most of the people doing the course will earn you vastly more marks than what you will lose in scaling.
Taken from another thread.

xxlambchopxx

HSC
its not the best scaling subject, but surprisingly scales better than society and culture

fishy89sg

HSC
the question isnt how much geography scales, the question is how much it disscales

ViRtUaL

1/cosC GSXR1000
HSC
well last year, a uac document (cant find link) showed that in the top 1% percentile, geography scaled better than phys, chem, bio, eco, etc. i'm serious, the scaled mark for someone who just made the top 1% percentile bracket in geo was 93, whereas for the others it was slightly less.

funnyperson1000

Kelly Clarkson is Hot! ^^
HSC
You should aim for 90+ in Geography to get yourself a good scaled mark. A mark of around 70-80 will pull you down greatly in this subject as opposed to economics or 4U Maths.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)