how does honours work? (1 Viewer)

fretwell

HSC
N/A
I read that students who get a credit average will be invited to enter on completion of the final year of the course. So if I intend on doing honours, would I apply to graduate for my last semester at uni?

L

LaraB

fretwell said:
I read that students who get a credit average will be invited to enter on completion of the final year of the course. So if I intend on doing honours, would I apply to graduate for my last semester at uni?
credit average?

geez i assuemd honours meant distinction average coz credit average a lot of people get...

maybe have a look on the website? surely there's somethin bout it in the current students section

theone123

blue essence
HSC
LaraB said:
credit average?

geez i assuemd honours meant distinction average coz credit average a lot of people get...

maybe have a look on the website? surely there's somethin bout it in the current students section
yes lara, you didnt hear wrong its credit average to be admissible to honours.

Jacks

HSC
I was interested in doing honours but they have cancelled my degree...well for up and coming years at least and I don't know if that means we won't be offered the chance to do honours...does anyone know?

L

LaraB

Jacks said:
I was interested in doing honours but they have cancelled my degree...well for up and coming years at least and I don't know if that means we won't be offered the chance to do honours...does anyone know?
one of my lecturers was sayin that most times you can transfer to another uni to do it if they've gotten rid of it here but may require higher than a cGPA 5 depending on the uni... :)

fretwell

HSC
N/A
ok cool... so if you do get into honours, then do you get to do the graduation ceremony after you finish your main degree, or is it only once you've finished the honours aswell?

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
Jacks said:
Same here. My degree is cancelled as well. You can still do honours though, except you will be the last group to ever do honours for that course. Doesn't that make you feel special :p

Jonathan A

HSC
Depends on the degree and what type of Honours. Honours can be given on merit or by an extra year of study. The extra year of study is generally by a Credit Average (that is a GPA of 5).

A merit-based Honours as in the Law Programmes is awarded based on your law units. There are three classes given:

1st Class Honours: GPA of 6.0 (D average)
2.1 Honours: GPA of 5.8
2.2 Honours: GPA of 5.5

The first two classes will generally mean you can do a PhD without a Master of Law degree.

jase_

Moderator Jase
HSC
As other people have said, you can do your honours at another university usually, but you'll have to apply early (sometime in your final semester probably).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)