How does HSC Beginners/Continuers roughly align with HSK levels? & Taking this subject as a non-heritage speaker? (1 Viewer)

Duskheaven

HSC
1. How does HSC Beginners/Continuers HSC bands roughly align with HSK levels for these subjects?

2. If someone takes Chienese as a non-heritage speaker are they basically screwing their ATAR due to the shear amount of heritage speakers taking the subject ? I, also, imagine that students from non-heritage speaker background's parents may be less willing, on average, to pay for Chinese weekend school / cram school.

Asking out of pure interest as I've been in China/Taiwan/Hong Kong for the last year and I'm deeply interested in language pedagogy.

My guess is that the vast majority of Chinese continuers are HSK2.5-3.3 equivalent (2021 course). However, the listening section is a lot slower than what I would expect at HSK3. This is just my guess.

btw. check bio for free resources

Last edited:

...xD

HSC
1. How does HSC Beginners/Continuers roughly align with HSC bands for these subjects?

2. If someone takes Chienese as a non-heritage speaker are they basically screwing their ATAR due to the shear amount of heritage speakers taking the subject ? I, also, imagine that students from non-heritage speaker background's parents may be less willing, on average, to pay for Chinese weekend school / cram school.

Asking out of pure interest as I've been in China/Taiwan/Hong Kong for the last year and I'm deeply interested in language pedagogy.

My guess is that the vast majority of Chinese continuers are HSK2.5-3.3 equivalent. However, the listening section is a lot slower than what I would expect at HSK3. This is just my guess.

1. In the past chinese continuers has scaled decently well (and beginners in comparison a bit worse ofc), although recently the papers has been getting harder in difficulty (maybe to account for the increase in heritage ppl)

2. Not sure about the atar screwing part, but all I can say is, non heritage speakers do need to put in much more effort to get similar grades to heritage speakers (probably 1.5x ish) - from what I've seen though, the average heritage student has an advantage in speaking and listening (like ofc right), but reading and writing capabilities still stay kinda minimal unless they went to saturday school (even then though most ppl dont improve like too much- talking from personal experience here)

But tbh, at this point I feel like unless you're quite certain you are passionate about the subject and ready to put in lots of effort daily, it'll be quite hard to get a band 6 for non heritage.

The subject is unfair. They need to open up a separate continuers course for non heritage people too.

The old regulations made it hard for heritage students, and the new regulations have made it hard for non- heritage students. Still kinda mad at my old teacher for recommending me to do context, like even though in year 3 I spent 2 months in China studying nothing, and spoke chinese at home, I am not and will not catch up to my peers who had lived in china till they were like 9 years old with 2 months to spare before they turned 10 (the cut off for in context)

Duskheaven

HSC
1. In the past chinese continuers has scaled decently well (and beginners in comparison a bit worse ofc), although recently the papers has been getting harder in difficulty (maybe to account for the increase in heritage ppl)

2. Not sure about the atar screwing part, but all I can say is, non heritage speakers do need to put in much more effort to get similar grades to heritage speakers (probably 1.5x ish) - from what I've seen though, the average heritage student has an advantage in speaking and listening (like ofc right), but reading and writing capabilities still stay kinda minimal unless they went to saturday school (even then though most ppl dont improve like too much- talking from personal experience here)

But tbh, at this point I feel like unless you're quite certain you are passionate about the subject and ready to put in lots of effort daily, it'll be quite hard to get a band 6 for non heritage.

The subject is unfair. They need to open up a separate continuers course for non heritage people too.

The old regulations made it hard for heritage students, and the new regulations have made it hard for non- heritage students. Still kinda mad at my old teacher for recommending me to do context, like even though in year 3 I spent 2 months in China studying nothing, and spoke chinese at home, I am not and will not catch up to my peers who had lived in china till they were like 9 years old with 2 months to spare before they turned 10 (the cut off for in context)
Sorry, it was extremely late at night when I posted this and I originally wrote HSC instead of HSK. Edited!

Duskheaven

HSC

It's a huge shame that the system disincentives learning chinese for non-heritage speakers. Not just on an individual level, but, also on a societal level encouraging non-heritage speakers to learn Chinese would go a long way in promoting cultural understanding.

Duskheaven

HSC

It's a shame that saturday school doesn't seem to be paying off but it also makes perfect sense. I can imagine how bad and boring that is. If you have any reflections on the expected progress, tell me.

For what it's worth, I was in Chinese language schools for about 4 months in China - 20hrs a week class, expectation of perhaps another 10-20hrs a week of self study at one school / 10-20hrs of speaking Chinese with Chinese friends at the other school. Everyone loved it and had rapid progress. (I'd guess HSK 0 to HSK3 for non-heritage speakers in ~3.5months). 30RMB an hour. No one was especially smart, it's just a reflection on the learning environment.

Duskheaven

HSC
if someone finds this post in 5yrs time, please still respond. I check boardofstudies at least biannually.

evchai

HSC
1. How does HSC Beginners/Continuers HSC bands roughly align with HSK levels for these subjects?

My guess is that the vast majority of Chinese continuers are HSK2.5-3.3 equivalent (2021 course). However, the listening section is a lot slower than what I would expect at HSK3. This is just my guess.

1. im taking hsc chinese continuers now as a non native and i feel the level is roughly 3, maybe 4 (i completed hsk4 with an average score without directly studying for hsk), although in reading and listening I tend to find 1, maybe 2 characters I may not understand, but definitely not to the extent where i can't understand the general texts.
2. I dont think it screws ur atar, especially as if you have a geniuene interest in the language/subject and have performed decently well, e.g. my 7/9 heritage speakers class (top 3). There are many schools who I have seen only have non-natives and will probably do veyr well, the only thing that is imbalanced now is that the stae ranks will mot likely be all heritage speakers. + I dont do any sunday schools for chinese
3. Listening is slower and you here the text twice, but hsk is multi choice which tbh I find musch easier than short answer quesitons in hsc which have longer texts

Hope this helps :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)