How does my time table fare? (1 Viewer)

Kingportable

HSC
Firstly my whole plan is not to turn up to lectures at all and go all out podcast except for days when i am there morning to evening. Also i'm planning on swapping to move into a accounting double.
1. Is this a good idea?
2. Also anyone know anything about STAT 171 and Math 135?
3. Is it easier to choose much easier classes because it will most likely boost your GPA and WAM (hence scrapping Stat171 all together because its seriously messing up my table)?

Please come back soon i'm going to change it around a lot.
Semester 1
1.png

Semester 2
2.png

Last edited:

Rectanglor

HSC
I think you may have a clash in Semester Two with your ECON lecture and ISYS tute :/

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Typically, its probably not recommended to skip lectures in your first year, as you probably haven't built up the necessary study routines for self-directed learning but if you feel confident enough in not falling behind on content, then yeah go for it. Uni content is a lot more intensive than high school however, so I'd be careful not to fall behind, especially the first couple of weeks, typically you could be covering an entire semester or term of content in high school in about a lecture at university.

Rectanglor

HSC
Typically, its probably not recommended to skip lectures in your first year, as you probably haven't built up the necessary study routines for self-directed learning but if you feel confident enough in not falling behind on content, then yeah go for it. Uni content is a lot more intensive than high school however, so I'd be careful not to fall behind, especially the first couple of weeks, typically you could be covering an entire semester or term of content in high school in about a lecture at university.
Are you serious?!

Salliea

HSC
^ I agree with AsyLum's comment with lectures "typically covering an entire semester or term of content in high school in about a lecture at uni". This was especially true with both ECON110 and ECON111.

I heard STAT171 was really really REALLY hard from my actuarial studies friend (but she took it a few years ago). Better off with STAT170 if you have the option.

Kingportable

HSC
Ok well this is life without Math135 or Stat171

Sem 1
ScreenShot2013-02-17at81306PM.png

Sem 2
ScreenShot2013-02-17at81238PM.png

Stat171 is definitely harder, should i take much easier classes to boost my marks? Or is there some kind of "HSC scaling" equivalent or prestige in other courses like "hmp you got 80% in that meh.. Woah!!! 60% in this one WOW good job mate"? i really wanna do Math135 though. Also if they accept me in to Finance/Eco double next sen i'd probably drop MAS for the Finance unit i couldn't do for Sem2.

Last edited:

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
is there some kind of "HSC scaling" equivalent or prestige in other courses like "hmp you got 80% in that meh.. Woah!!! 60% in this one WOW good job mate"?
Nope, the marks you get are, well, the marks you get.

That is unless you get marked on the bell curve, i know that the Arts faculty definitely does not but i can't speak for the others.

Last edited:

Kingportable

HSC
Hey May-Cat do you have any opinions of my new time table with out Math135-Stat171? And do you mean then that i should try to make my classes as easy as possible?

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
Hey May-Cat do you have any opinions of my new time table with out Math135-Stat171?
lol, you guys stress over your timetables so much. Whether it's 'good' or not totally depends on what you're happy with.

If you want to only come in for a few jam packed days a week, looks great. If you're concerned about burning out by your afternoon classes, maybe you want to re-think it. I know that i would personally come home and die with a timetable like yours (multiple 4 hours+ blocks of lectures/tutes/pracs without breaks is kinda rough), but that's just me.

And do you mean then that i should try to make my classes as easy as possible?
Certainly not (i don't get where i implied that...?). I think it's important to take classes that you find interesting and challenging. That said, it is also important to play to your strengths, so there's' no shame in going for the easier course if you're not good at maths.

Last edited:

KidDang

HSC
Uni Grad
What are you planning to major in? I remember I got told during my first year that if you do finance its recommended to do maths135 especially concurrently with Afin252.

Also for some subjects its best to attend as much lectures as possible, for some you can skip as much as you want and still catch up in a weeks time or still be acing with self study.
Lectures can be really helpful if you get the most out of it, Subjects like Accounting make sure you attend every lecture/tuts because its almost like a memory game and frequent attending really helps. Others where people overlook like marketing. My lecturer had so much real world knowledge which made my writing and knowledge benefited greatly but some like management I skipped nearly every lecture.

I suppose the biggest tip I can give is build a timetable that suits you and go to the first lecture at least to see whether you can benefit from it.

Kingportable

HSC
I'm thinking of majoring in Econometrics because i like maths KidDang not sure what i'd do if i find it too hard though. Your point about Math 135 is interesting because i'm definitely thinking about transferring to a accounting double. Do you think its ok to do Math135 in S3 or in my second year?

Anyways hey guys i've been playing around with my time table again. So now i've got Math135 and Stat171 at Semester 1. Some issues with this is Thursday and Wednesday all lectures for Math135 are full so i am stuck with zero lecture time a week and just restricted to online lectures and i won't be attending the Stat171 lecture on thursdays because its a lone lecture. Also Semester 2 is also worrying even though i have a more laid back class structure i am doing Macro and Micro economics in one semester simultaneously is this a bad thing or is this recommended?

Can any Mac students weigh on your experience of watching lectures online has it impaired your learning? Do you think its worth this much trouble doing Math 135 this way?

Sem 1
http://i612.photobucket.com/albums/tt201/Ivanreyes/ScreenShot2013-02-18at112037PM.png

Sem 2
ScreenShot2013-02-18at111658PM.png

Last edited:

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
Some issues with this is Thursday and Wednesday all lectures for Math135 are full so i am stuck with zero lecture time a week and just restricted to online lectures and i won't be attending the Stat171 lecture on thursdays because its a lone lecture. Also Semester 2 is also worrying even though i have a more laid back class structure i am doing Macro and Micro economics in one semester simultaneously is this a bad thing or is this recommended?

Can any Mac students weigh on your experience of watching lectures online has it impaired our learning? Do you think its worth this much trouble doing Math 135 this way?

Sem 1
http://i612.photobucket.com/albums/tt201/Ivanreyes/ScreenShot2013-02-18at112037PM.png

Sem 2
View attachment 27717
Just go to the lecture anyway, it's not like anyone will stop you.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)