How does one prepare for UMAT? (1 Viewer)

Deltan

Noob pharmer
HSC
I'm planning to take UMAT this year, (for possible entry into dent/optom)
besides going to prep courses how can you improve your umat score?

i know several ppl who have achieved uai 99+ but failed the umat,
does one require alot of practice? should you work on logic skills?

dolbinau

HSC
Work through the ACER practice books.

But I was very surprised when I took the UMAT test this year, the 1st section was very mathematical and there was a lot of reading, so you need to practice finishing on time too (Although the practice books seem easier and less mathematical). It could have just been this year though.

For section 3 apparently MENSA puzzles help. I'm not sure how you can improve section 2, "wide and critical reading" I think is the official phrase and it is important because you need to know the definitions for the words (he feels XXXXX) for example, they aren't "happy" or "sad', lulz.

What kind of UMAT score do you need for Dent/Optom, I assume it's lower than Medicine.

Deltan

Noob pharmer
HSC
I think 09 is the first intake for dentistry students at CSU
i would guess that umat would be lower for optom as its way less competitive than med

btw dolbinau, what did you get for umat and did you take any prep courses?

dolbinau

HSC
No prep courses, I only went through the ACER practice test once and one of the other practice booklets maybe twice. My score was disappointing at 158, the 67th percentile (i.e 67% under me) [But I was pretty satisfied in that the amount of guessing, the amount I didn't finish - some people must have done *really* bad]. To put it in perspective I think the UWS/UNCLE cut offs are around 183-7 or something like that, and at UNSW to get an interview my UAI would have to probably be 99.5 or something.

Some people can get very high UMAT scores with no preparation, however as much as they lead you to believe it is a test of 'natural ability', the fact that there are stories on MSO of people scoring >200 after Prep courses compared to 150 earlier - shows that you can improve.

I'm still deciding whether to take a prep course and try again next year for UWS/UNCLE. I heard MEDENTRY was good - keep in mind as far as I understand it is a very expensive way to basically just get a bunch of practice questions and good answers. {See, the ACER practice books have answers "A, B, C or D" etc.. but no explanation so it can make it slightly pointless}

clintmyster

Prophet 9 FTW
HSC
Uni Grad
for a person doing umat next year and started their prep now, people tell me that you should really get into a prep course like med entry. Its quite good because there is a number of papers on the website and with that there is quizes (called drills) on every sections, some of which test different things especially in section three. Along with that is an explaination of why an answer was chosen which is really helpful. What you should do is attempt a paper early on and then just mix up papers with drills and do that over a long period of time and you should be set.

They also offer guides which help you attack questions which is pretty good but let me warn you its a lot of reading for the guides cos theres heaps! But thats good. Other people tell me you should try and make some quick notes on how to attack certain types of questions like draw a quick table or underline key words etc.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)