how does rank work? (1 Viewer)

geoff18

HSC
hey guys
i just recived my physics half yearlies and i did crap and some friend told me that ranks matter more
so i got a few questions... from what i read from all the rank threads...

let say we have mr a, mr b and mr c
mr a topped the skl for physics for the internal assesments
mr b came 2
and mr c last

but in hsc exam for physics
mr c got 90% (let say)
mr b got 85%
mr a got 80%

from the threads i read
DOES IT MEAN THAT MR A WILL TAKE MR C'S 90% HSC MARK SINCE HE CAME FIRST IN SKL INTERNATL ASSESMENTS MARK (sorry abt the caps, pinky is crazy atm)

and also can someone please tell me how do skls calculate their rankings

and im just wondering do i still have a chance for physics
i got like 53% for my first assesment (prac) and the top mark was like 80% (counts 15%)
then this one i got like 42% and the topc was 84% (counts 15%)
even if i work hard now does it mean i have like 27%+42%=69% to catch up with the top guys in the remaining 70% assesmetns in the course to come in the top 3 in the overall ranks.

A BIG THANK YOU FOR GUYS WHO READ UP TO HIM

FROM A DESPERATE ASIAN WHO NEEDS TO GO TO UNI

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
geoff18 said:
hey guys
i just recived my physics half yearlies and i did crap and some friend told me that ranks matter more
so i got a few questions... from what i read from all the rank threads...

let say we have mr a, mr b and mr c
mr a topped the skl for physics for the internal assesments
mr b came 2
and mr c last

but in hsc exam for physics
mr c got 90% (let say)
mr b got 85%
mr a got 80%

from the threads i read
DOES IT MEAN THAT MR A WILL TAKE MR C'S 90% HSC MARK SINCE HE CAME FIRST IN SKL INTERNATL ASSESMENTS MARK (sorry abt the caps, pinky is crazy atm)

and also can someone please tell me how do skls calculate their rankings

and im just wondering do i still have a chance for physics
i got like 53% for my first assesment (prac) and the top mark was like 80% (counts 15%)
then this one i got like 42% and the topc was 84% (counts 15%)
even if i work hard now does it mean i have like 27%+42%=69% to catch up with the top guys in the remaining 70% assesmetns in the course to come in the top 3 in the overall ranks.

A BIG THANK YOU FOR GUYS WHO READ UP TO HIM

FROM A DESPERATE ASIAN WHO NEEDS TO GO TO UNI
ok lets recap this
mr a came first in his assessments
mr b second
mr c third

now mr c came first in the externals
mr b came second
mr a came last

now since mr a came first internally, and the highest mark was 90%, that means he has 90% as his moderated assessment mark, plus the 80% as the hsc exam mark, which equates to a hsc mark of 85%

mr b came 2nd internally and externally so his mark stays at 85%, since 85% was the second highest hsc exam mark

now m c...since he came 3rd in the assessments, he gets mr a's exam mark as his moderated assessment mark, but he still retains his 90% external mark for the exams, which gives him 85%

so in this case, noone is better off, but noone is worse off either.

youve only done 30% of your assessments, so theres always time to catch up and get a decent mark in the end
just do your hardest in your upcoming assessments, and make sure you dont slack off during the trials
good luck

geoff18

HSC
thanks mang u are a life saver now i feel slightly better lol thx again

geoff18

HSC
but i got one more question (sorry)

let sya the gap between mr a and mr b and mr c are huge, wouldnt one of them will be unfairly judged

geoff18

HSC
let's have an example

mr a came first internally 90%
mr b second (85%)
mr c third (80%)

but in hsc
mr c (90%)
mr b (70%)
mr a (20%)

wouldnt mr c be totally fucked because of mr a's lacked or performance in the hsc exam?

williamc

HSC
geoff18 said:
let's have an example

mr a came first internally 90%
mr b second (85%)
mr c third (80%)

but in hsc
mr c (90%)
mr b (70%)
mr a (20%)

wouldnt mr c be totally fucked because of mr a's lacked or performance in the hsc exam?
This is like a brain teaser and fun!

Mr a: Moderated internal mark 90, aligned hsc exam mark is 20, hsc mark is 55
Mr b: Moderated internal mark 70, aligned hsc exam mark is 70, hsc mark is 70
Mr c: Moderated internal mark 20, aligned hsc exam mark is 90, hsc mark is 55

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
yep william c is correct
which is why you should try your best in the hsc exams, and also help each other out, which is beneficial and less likely to be in a scenario such as the one you listed above

williamc

HSC
Jemsta thinking deeply i think i have just confused myself. I was told that the ranks are important and the gaps in between the ranks. But now lookign at that scenrio the gaps between the ranks means jack ey? And the HSC exam itself actually counts more than 50% realistically, it actually determines your moderated asessment mark.

defaultPlayer

HSC
hey geoff18, i'm like in a similar situation to you.. physics first assesment i flunked it bad.. just passed.. nearly like last in whole year of 2 classes - 40-50 people.

Anyway half yearly ( didn't really have half yearlies we just had assessments ) came up and i did it, thought it was sht got it back and got 2nd highest in class and beat 3/4+ of the other ''smarter'' class..

anyway i'm just saying that its possible to still get your rank back up.. with 2 more assessments left even if it is a slow process i've caught up to a few marks difference to the people who did well in the first test.

just get motivated .. and good luck !

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
williamc said:
Jemsta thinking deeply i think i have just confused myself. I was told that the ranks are important and the gaps in between the ranks. But now lookign at that scenrio the gaps between the ranks means jack ey? And the HSC exam itself actually counts more than 50% realistically, it actually determines your moderated asessment mark.
all i know is that ranks is the most important thing...the gaps between each rank is irrelevant, which is why when youve finished all your assessments, your teacher sends you your rank for that subject plus the mark for all of the assessments.
however, when you finish your HSC exams, if i remember correctly your rank for each subject would be displayed on your board of studies student access account.
yeah thats what i always thought...your external exam counts far more than your 50% exam mark....which is why, like i said its soo important that all of your grade does well

defaultPlayer

HSC
mm jemsta in my grade, we have some really smart people getting like 100% in 4 unit and like 98%~ in other subjects, but then we have a gap then to people who are getting 70 - 80% then we have another gap for the lower students.

So would i be right in saying that the middle people ( where i am ) get scaled up abit due to the higher ranked people? or will they get pulled down.

Also does what school you goto matter? some people have said that our school will get a few extra marks ontop.

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
the misconceptions is that school doesnt really matter...if youre first in all your subjects then that is irrelevant
the reason why such schools get such high UAIs as a whole, is because being in a competitive environment, it will motivate you even more, thus getting heaps good marks because they want to be better than one another (ie James Ruse)
usually, if your cohort does really well in a subject...ie like you said, students getting near perfect scores, then that really will help come HSC exam time, because the top ones usually do very well in the exam, which will pull their marks up, and provided you get a decent rank and do relatively well in your exam, youll get scaled up too
just dont be nar the bottom and youll be fine

SoulSearcher

Entangled in the fabric of space-time ...
HSC
williamc said:
It's not directly a give/take thing when it comes to moderation. They do take into account the gaps between the ranks, so they would take the highest and lowest HSC exam marks, assign them to first and last respectively, then alter the marks in the middle to take account of the gaps inbetween the ranks.

LynH1326

HSC
Ok here is what I was told last year cuz I came top of English: Adv and Legal Studies at my school.

From Head of English to both English advanced classes: "If she (me) gets lower than anyone here in the HSC, your marks will be moderated accordingly to hers."

Talk about pressure... anyways, i think i did do better than others in my school in Legal and English so no biggie, all in the past. :)

jbax89

HSC
ok i got a scenario.... just say a mr A screwed up big in his maths exams through out the year though starts to pick it up and gets decent marks in trials/HSC...

throughout the year mr A got averages of say 40%... then in the trials and HSC he got up in the 70%ish do mr B and mr C who say got 60-70% throughout the year but bombed out pretty big and say got 40% in trials/hsc gain mr A's marks? (due to rank) im confused big time sorry if this is too confusing to read or stick with but yeh im tripping out as its going to screw my UAI :(

-all marks for just estimates- D:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)