How does the Rank in your year effect your outcome (1 Viewer)

Ralph

The Don
HSC
N/A
Only people that know everything about this are to answer, no half crap responce's.

I'm ranked tenth in English advance In the HSC lets say i got 85 as a raw mark, beating most the people in the top 10, lets say beating the top 7, who's mark would i get?

How much would this reduce my final aligned mark, (my year is shit average assessment mark is like 65).

Can someone who know's all about this kindly provide a detailed answer, i already know the basics.

Thanks.

Last edited:

max

That which u feel becomes
HSC
Ralph,
Nobody cares whether you 'did shit all' or not to come tenth, the fact is you came tenth and nobody here knows you so get over it. What you did throughout the year to get 10th is your personal business. If you went straight to the point you would not incur personal attacks.

In regards to your marks, Theoretically:
-you beat the top 7 in the hsc (you get the 4th best mark of your cohort for HSC mark)
-your final mark is NOT your aligned mark
-you get (as you predicted) ~85 which is an aligned mark of (lets say) 91.
(my year is shit average assessment mark is like 65).
-Your rank assessment mark is basically negligible as it only distinguishes rank.

Therefore, your HSC mark(final mark) is:
91 + (10th best HSC mark) divided by 2.

Yeh?!

Last edited:

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
max said:
Ralph,

therefore, Your HSC mark(final mark) is:
85 + (7th best HSC mark) divided by 2.
no....

he wouldn't get 7th (nor 10th even though he came 10th in school) for assessment mark.

the assessment mark comes from a moderation process, search the forums on it. It has been explained far too many times.

max

That which u feel becomes
HSC
Yeh, sorry John you're right...

but i'm sure ralph gets my point.

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Ralph, it's probably easiest if you just see for yourself:

http://www.boredofstudies.org/moderate.php

You'll need to estimate the marks to be gained by your class, but that shouldn't be too much of a problem. You're certainly in a better position to do that than we are.

(The layout could be a bit prettier, but at least it works.)

Ralph

The Don
HSC
N/A
Thankyou all, also to max, the personalised stuff was so you could get a sniff of my situation, but thankyou lazarus, max and Jm something.

Ralph

The Don
HSC
N/A
jm1234567890 said:
no....

he wouldn't get 7th (nor 10th even though he came 10th in school) for assessment mark.

the assessment mark comes from a moderation process, search the forums on it. It has been explained far too many times.
I understand the assessment mark comes from the moderation proccess, but it is also effected by rank, for example if 2nd beats first, then first gets 2nd mark and 2nd get first mark. What I am asking is if 10th beats 1st would 1st get 10th assessment mark and 10th get first assessment mark (technically 2nd)?

sorry its just both max and Jm together were confusing.

Ralph

The Don
HSC
N/A
jm1234567890 said:
no....

Also Jm if you beat you assessment mark then your mark doesnt get moderated (averaged), it goes up to what you got in the HSC.

mr EaZy

punchbowl bro- its the best place to live !
HSC
Ralph said:
Only people that know everything about this are to answer, no half crap responce's.

I'm ranked tenth in English advance In the HSC lets say i got 85 as a raw mark, beating most the people in the top 10, lets say beating the top 7, who's mark would i get?

How much would this reduce my final aligned mark, (my year is shit average assessment mark is like 65).

Can someone who know's all about this kindly provide a detailed answer, i already know the basics.

Thanks.

i feel sorry for ya mate. i was ranked 10th too. i got a raw mark of 84% but because the top 2 guys in my class stufffffffffed up and got 78and 79 % my mark was dragged down bo 81% :( tthe top mark was 90 which was pulled down to 86% (that guy was rankewd 5th. Its because our assessments and their markers were bodgy

69^boi

HSC
N/A
yeh i think rank does matter because if ya down the bottom end the scaling wont help you

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Ralph said:
Also Jm if you beat you assessment mark then your mark doesnt get moderated (averaged), it goes up to what you got in the HSC.
I don't know where you heard this, but it's not true.

Every student has an examination mark (which is their own exam mark irrespective of how anyone else went) and a moderated assessment mark (which is the school assessment mark after it has been moderated to make it comparable with exam marks).

Each student's HSC mark is the average of the above two marks, in every case.

Ralph said:
I understand the assessment mark comes from the moderation proccess, but it is also effected by rank, for example if 2nd beats first, then first gets 2nd mark and 2nd get first mark. What I am asking is if 10th beats 1st would 1st get 10th assessment mark and 10th get first assessment mark (technically 2nd)?
You've simplified the process far too much and have confused it a bit.

If the student ranked second beats the student ranked first in the exam:

student ranked first
receives their own exam mark (which was ranked second or below) as their exam mark
receives the top exam mark as their moderated assessment mark
hsc mark = average of above two marks

student ranked second
receives their own exam mark (which was top) as their exam mark
receives a mark similar to the second exam mark as their moderated assessment mark
hsc mark = average of above two marks

Marks aren't just swapped around willy-nilly.

j.u.l.i.e

hye i was wondering how they scale advanced and standard english.
my friend was in advanced english for prelim and she was like 7th last (out of more than 50)
the teachers told her to go to standard and now she's like 3rd (out of more than 70)
will they be able to tell how easy standard is? coz its really unfair...
should i have moved to standard being like ranked 10-20 out of advanced

lukebennett

Happy Member
HSC
j.u.l.i.e said:
hye i was wondering how they scale advanced and standard english.
my friend was in advanced english for prelim and she was like 7th last (out of more than 50)
the teachers told her to go to standard and now she's like 3rd (out of more than 70)
will they be able to tell how easy standard is? coz its really unfair...
should i have moved to standard being like ranked 10-20 out of advanced
i doubt you shud have moved. i think they use english area of study to discriminate between the standards of advanced and standard so they can scale accordingly

j.u.l.i.e

yeh...coz like in the sc i got band six, but im like raked 10-20 in advanced, while she got like band 4 in sc

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)