• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

How does your new timetable affect your part-time/casual work? (1 Viewer)

spillargroove

HSC
I wanted to ask you guys how the new timetable will affect your work schedule if you have a part-time or casual job? For me, I'll be at Uni from Monday to Thursday but I'll be out early on Thursday from 12:00pm. I am really hoping I can secure a casual position before University starts; I am looking to work on Friday and Saturday. However since I am a first year, the Uni workload is considerable aren't I right? I was thinking about working on Sunday as well but I don't think it would be good for Monday classes.

Kulazzi

HSC
well, most jobs I've applied for had asked me if I was a student and what days I have uni. The workload I guss depends on your units. I don't think it will be heavy but probably moderate.

L

LaraB

lol it doesn't...

i don't work weekdays...

i work 8 weekends a year for the whole weekend which actually makes assignmenmts really hard coz they're usually at the same time as exams and the like...

other than that i don't work during semester... got scholarships and earnt a shitload out of semester so i don't have to:)

if you're worried about work - look at jobs via careerhub or other 'uni related' sites etc coz if they're putting ads on a uni sudents site, obviously they know that flexibility is needed to get around uni timetabling..

sparkl3z

HSC
N/A
i don't work at all either...just a few jobs over teh holidays but not proper ones...and i've never had a proper job hahaha....but i'm not too worried about it now, probably get one in my final year, after all that's why i'm going to uni for partly....for those of you who want cash and have time to work it's great, but for those who don't, i wouldnt say it's a big deal, jobs are always available when you want.

melodic_gal

HSC
my timetable badly crashed into my work times i had to force myself to resign because the job that i used to have needed me there 3 days a week. and it doesn't allow room for me to fit in a new job or unless i work night shift.

Shell

Boo Hoo
HSC
ive been at my work for nearly 4 years. my bosses are extremely flexible. my uni timetable cant be completely confirmed until monday, but my boss will have already done the roster by then so i just gave her a rough guess as to what will most probably be my uni timetable, and she rosters me on around it.

im at uni on the exact days you are spillargroove, even ending at the same time on thursdays, so im pretty sure ill be working thurs nights, fridays and a weekend day.

HSC
haha i have a half hour job tutoring, does that count? I dont think it will effect my timtabley very much...

colonial1770

HSC
don't have a job, at least not during semester, and as soon as a potential employer finds out that i am at uni, i don't get a call back. my timetables four days a week and pretty bad.

greater union at macarthur square advertised for people, application day at rosemeadow public school. got there at 9:35 (opened at 9:30) today and there must have been about 1,000 people there, the queue was about 4 blocks long. Most of the people in the queue were pimply faced 15-16yr olds who's available hrs would be a lot better than me and could probably pay them pretty cheap like $12hr (I'm 21)

most jobs in my experience don't fit around uni.

L

LaraB

colonial1770 said:
don't have a job, at least not during semester, and as soon as a potential employer finds out that i am at uni, i don't get a call back. my timetables four days a week and pretty bad.

greater union at macarthur square advertised for people, application day at rosemeadow public school. got there at 9:35 (opened at 9:30) today and there must have been about 1,000 people there, the queue was about 4 blocks long. Most of the people in the queue were pimply faced 15-16yr olds who's available hrs would be a lot better than me and could probably pay them pretty cheap like $12hr (I'm 21)

most jobs in my experience don't fit around uni.
if you're looking for that kind of work - y eah it doesn't..

retail doesn't seem to good for uni students unless youw ere there before you got to uni..

that's why you need to look at industries who aim at uni students... using search engines like careerhub will make finding these companies easier coz those search engines aim at uni students

spillargroove

HSC
ive been at my work for nearly 4 years. my bosses are extremely flexible. my uni timetable cant be completely confirmed until monday, but my boss will have already done the roster by then so i just gave her a rough guess as to what will most probably be my uni timetable, and she rosters me on around it.

im at uni on the exact days you are spillargroove, even ending at the same time on thursdays, so im pretty sure ill be working thurs nights, fridays and a weekend day.
That's pretty good. I've aimed to work on the same days as you are in my CV. I think not being able to work on the weekdays is a small disadvantage but more people are reluctant to work on weekends (employees who are normal people) so I still have a good chance to get employment and I am happy to work on Sunday. I couldn't see myself not working whilst at University. It will boost my credentials and I can take an internal retail certificate (depending on company).

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
I can't work and study at the same time. Our unit co-ordinators are bastards and usually put 4 different subjects on 4 different days. 3 hours for a lecture, plus 6 hours travelling doesn't leave time for much else. Although, this semester, since I've only got 3 days, I'm going to be volunteering at an environmental centre one day a week.

ally15

Beep.
HSC
i have uni everyday- unless i can get a lab time on thursday morning.
Any nursing students wanna swap? I have a Wednesday 12 - 2pm class :p
I dont have a job but i tutor 2-3 days a week, for an hour and a half each day.

anton_

revolutionary communist
HSC
wow...!
how the hell do u manage to pay for life without working?!
is it really that easy to just say that studying and working at the same time is that hard?! do u not eat?

love a

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)