How easy is it to fail the driving test? (1 Viewer)

Dirtbag Fashion

When I was a young boy...
HSC
N/A
my m8 turned up drunk to his Ls test

true story

and after like 10 mins the instructor took him back for a breath test

and then was like wtf m8 ur like 16 and drunk on your driving day where r ur parents

ClockworkSoldier

Clockwork Army
HSC
The reason you were greeted with harsh responses is because we'd all already said "look at the RTA website" and actually practise. Anything we could have told you is on the website... Or you should have known these things before even attempting the test!

It may be 'devistating' to fail your red P's but who cares? You can try again. I failed my L's test and was also young in highschool. I got my P's in November of year 12. That's the last month of school. Not driving isn't the end of your life... Be glad you don't have to worry about fuel and car maintenance fir a little while longer.

I am one out of two from my 8 close friends group that drives. one of my mates has failed twice, one girl I know failed five times before passing and they never gave up and acted like the world was ending.

Build up some confidence and/or grow up (in the least offensive way possible XD).

Chromatic

Banned
HSC
N/A
The reason you were greeted with harsh responses is because we'd all already said "look at the RTA website" and actually practise. Anything we could have told you is on the website... Or you should have known these things before even attempting the test!

It may be 'devistating' to fail your red P's but who cares? You can try again. I failed my L's test and was also young in highschool. I got my P's in November of year 12. That's the last month of school. Not driving isn't the end of your life... Be glad you don't have to worry about fuel and car maintenance fir a little while longer.

I am one out of two from my 8 close friends group that drives. one of my mates has failed twice, one girl I know failed five times before passing and they never gave up and acted like the world was ending.

Build up some confidence and/or grow up (in the least offensive way possible XD).
The RTA doesnt give suggestions on how to pass, only say what is required. You could've offered responses with personal experience as opposed to those harsh responses I was greeted with...

The reason I am acting like this is because I failed due to a lack of self-confidence.... which ARE tied to the harsh responses I got here. I failed in the LAST 2 MINUTES of the test, the 2nd last road until the turn-off into the RTA's garage.... why? Couldnt make a tough decision to turn and almost caused an accident!

Otherwise, your other points are solid.

61st of April

HSC
I'll try to be constructive...

Ok so when you next go for your test, be very careful around roundabouts! I know someone who instantly failed because they 'mounted' it - it was just a light nudge but thats all it took. Also, when exiting the roundabout, don't forget to have a quick look over your left shoulder. Start your indication for exit just after you have completely passed the exit before - if that makes any sense...

In streets with lots of parked cars, or a tree-lined centre, it is advisable to go under the speed limit a bit - if it's a 60 zone, do 50, because children, dogs or dopey pedestrians are hidden and the instructor may mark you down for it.

If you're asked to do the reverse-parallel, nudging the kerb is fine but mounting it is an instant fail - I accidentally nudged it in my test which PISSED ME OFF because i had practised a thousand times and had it perfect!

To help fix the reason you last failed, the definition of a safe gap is any space that you can pull out into, so that no other traffic needs to change speed or direction to avoid you. I nearly failed for the same reason.... :/

I don't think you need to constantly check over your shoulder, just every time you change lanes or exit a roundabout. You can only miss these headchecks 3 times before its an instant fail

An obvious one is actually stopping at stop signs - sounds stupid but if you don't come to a complete stop with all your car behind the line, but within 1 metre of it, fail. Another person I know failed just because of that.

And lastly, stopping at red lights. Stop so that you can see where the rear tyres of the car in front's wheels are touching the ground. When a car pulls up behind you, you may slowly edge forward.

I could go on, but this is really long already. I too was young for my year, but got my reds last february, most people in my year got them the year before.

Better luck next time!

61st of April

HSC
But even that isn't what youre asking for, you're asking for tips on how to pass. It's been said before but unfortunately, there is no strategy or tips to pass, the closest you'll come to that is tips on how to reduce the number of driving errors and a heads-up on what the instant-fail items are. Many ways to instantly fail, bit no ways to instantly pass. All I, and anyone else, can offer is tips to reduce the number of negative marks on your sheet - the only method to pass is drive with minimal errors and no instant fail items

Last edited:

Chromatic

Banned
HSC
N/A
Thank you for that post, its pretty much exactly what I was looking for :D

spazamataz

HSC
It really all is up to the assesor.

I was at a T intersection and didn't see a car coming and it had to brake really hard, and I only managed to lose one point.

A REALLY good idea is to do a practice test with an instructor. Its well worth the money and it makes you a better driver. I got taken on the exact route that I would take.

appletoa

HSC
Here's my tip for you then: Remember that you have to stop at stop signs (like come to a complete halt) even if there's no other traffic around. Pretty sure it's instant fail if you don't...

I basically went around town really slowly and made it obvious I was looking for dangers/checking blind spots etc. Mainly because I was also a year younger than the rest of my school year so I wanted my P plates as soon as possible :ninja:

ClockworkSoldier

Clockwork Army
HSC
The RTA doesnt give suggestions on how to pass, only say what is required. You could've offered responses with personal experience as opposed to those harsh responses I was greeted with...

The reason I am acting like this is because I failed due to a lack of self-confidence.... which ARE tied to the harsh responses I got here. I failed in the LAST 2 MINUTES of the test, the 2nd last road until the turn-off into the RTA's garage.... why? Couldnt make a tough decision to turn and almost caused an accident!

Otherwise, your other points are solid.
Though all the points that the RTA have on their website are what you need to practise to pass. Basically you just got to practise these points until you're confident and not focus on failure, because if you focus on the possibility of failure it's more likely you'll freak out and guess what? Fail.

phishtaco

HSC
I'm not quite sure how I ended up on this site, but I understand how the OP feels. I'm actually going for my P's tomorrow afternoon. And yeah, I am quite nervous. But I've practiced parking and all that heaps and read the guide to the driving test book front to back quite a few times so I'm pretty confident with my driving. Anyway, even if I do fail, I can always try again. It's not the end of the world so I'm not too worried. All my friends got their P's last year and it doesn't really bother me (I'm the youngest in the class). In fact, one or two of them have managed to lose their P's due to speeding etc.

Anyway, when you do go for your test again, good luck.

johnyG

HSC
The ones that rush out for their P's as soon as they turn 17 are the ones that are shit drivers and cause accidents. I stayed on my L's for about 18 months with 165 hours total and am a much better driver for it.

Chromatic

Banned
HSC
N/A
The ones that rush out for their P's as soon as they turn 17 are the ones that are shit drivers and cause accidents. I stayed on my L's for about 18 months with 165 hours total and am a much better driver for it.

I'm not quite sure how I ended up on this site, but I understand how the OP feels. I'm actually going for my P's tomorrow afternoon. And yeah, I am quite nervous. But I've practiced parking and all that heaps and read the guide to the driving test book front to back quite a few times so I'm pretty confident with my driving. Anyway, even if I do fail, I can always try again. It's not the end of the world so I'm not too worried. All my friends got their P's last year and it doesn't really bother me (I'm the youngest in the class). In fact, one or two of them have managed to lose their P's due to speeding etc.

Anyway, when you do go for your test again, good luck.
Good luck! :D

Last edited:

x.Exhaust.x

Retired Member
HSC
So did you pass today? :) And what's the pass mark?

If you have no fail items on that RTA sheet but your mark overall is low, do you still fail? My test is soon.

Chromatic

Banned
HSC
N/A
So did you pass today? :) And what's the pass mark?

If you have no fail items on that RTA sheet but your mark overall is low, do you still fail? My test is soon.
Going on 3 and half hours brother, wish my luck :D

And you need 90% in terms of Marks, so like mine was out of 108, and i got 101... which is 94%, so a pass. But no, I had to cause a dangerous situation in the last minute of the test :evilfire: Hopefully today man... hopefully today...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)