how far under the uai requirement? (1 Viewer)

danieljarvis

HSC
my hsc advicer told me that he's seen people last year with 10 marks less than what was required get into university courses?
i dont know if thats a very common event.. but still, i think they give extra marks if you live close or what not? my friend also told me he sent a letter to the uni head person or wat not saying how he was school cap, src head and all that and they gave him 5 allowance points.. is that stuff true..

or is it, if your under, your not getting in?

orlani

HSC
Hey, well if you want more points you need to submit an EAS form. its like to do with special cosiderations and stuff. they were due september 30th but u can still submit them. it has all these areas you can go for. financial difficulties, abuse, etc, etc im sure you get the drift. and you can get extra points added to ur UAI. and different uni's give different amounts of extra points

sikeveo

back after sem2
HSC
The cut offs are often exaggerated. I.e. take a look at USYD Advanced Science, the published cut off is 96.4. But i've heard ppl getting in with uais of 91 or so. Some unis like ANU accept people with lower scores if they show a genuine interest in the course, i.e. write a letter to the dean on why you want to do the course so badly etc.

There are so many ways.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
There's also fee-paying courses?

If you guys didn't make it into the uni course you wanted- would you consider resitting the HSC? I was contemplating this and I decided I probably would.

danieljarvis

HSC
i actualy did re sit the hsc!! i finished in 04.. fucked round, and so i went back to tafe and did it again! and so far its been worth it, and looking like ill get the marks i want...
i can advise you to, it was pretty enjoyable up at at tafe.

i suppose all this obviously depends on how many people apply for that course? and what the standard of applicants is.. i think? im not sure how UAI requirements work but.
and also i hear now that some courses accept you more readily if you marked well in the subjects it is based on. seems obvious right?

sikeveo

back after sem2
HSC
seremify007 said:
There's also fee-paying courses?

If you guys didn't make it into the uni course you wanted- would you consider resitting the HSC? I was contemplating this and I decided I probably would.
I have already not made the first round of interviews for my course, so yeh im repeating some subjects next yr while going to uni. (can't let parents find out).

Im doing it via self tuition, just rock up to the exam and do it. That's your mark. But i'll do chem/phys via oten. You'd nail it second time round.

iamsickofyear12

HSC
Last year I heard of people getting into a course with up to 15 UAI points below the cut off. But I think that was probably due to it being a new course and some wrong estimates.

Bunny04

VIVE LA FRANCE
Well for starters, Australia, NSW, Sydney- and fin
HSC
well you can.. depending on what kind of course you want to get into. .
Like for instance.. in some courses which required a uai of 75-80, (but it had Audiition and another Music skills test) people got in with a uai of 59 and one 48

HSC
My brother friend also missed electrical engineering by about 3 and he made it in because they didn't fill it up and he got 48/50 in 3u so they considered him a valuable asset

I was talking to the girl at MQ she said people who do prereqruisite (sp?) courses such as Chemistry in year 12 for bachelor of science major in chemistry, and they get like band 6 in chemistry hsc usually allows them in (not that im fucking crazy enough to do more chemistry)

Abbeygale

HSC
A friend of my step mother works in the admissions office of ANU, and she claims that sometimes if you write to the faculty you'll be given special consideration if your UAI is borderline. Unconfirmed third-hand information, but it's interesting.

asscookie

dork.
HSC
It can depend on the demand for the course, too. If a lower than expected number of people apply for a course, they sometimes accept UAIs slightly lower than the cut-off.

sikeveo

back after sem2
HSC
Abbeygale - That's correct. It said it on the website or UAC guide or somewhere.

Casmira - I think all prerequisites are now abolished in NSW.

HSC
maybe i meant recommended prior knowledge? I want to do Bachelor of Commerce and they're telling me to learn 2u mathematics

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)