How good do you have to be at maths to do a math related course in uni (1 Viewer)

B1andB2

oui oui baguette
HSC
N/A
Hi guys,
I was just wondering how good would someone have to be at maths to do a course like computer science or data science at uni (which have quite a lot of maths in them, but not solely mathematical like actuary) ? Is being okay at 3u (band 5/low band 6 level maybe) maths enough, or would someone have to be a top 3u or 4u student to cope? I know that the pre requisite is 3u maths, but does it get substantially harder to the point where a 3u math student cant cope?
Thanks
(Just thinking about possible career paths lol)

idkkdi

HSC
Hi guys,
I was just wondering how good would someone have to be at maths to do a course like computer science or data science at uni (which have quite a lot of maths in them, but not solely mathematical like actuary) ? Is being okay at 3u (band 5/low band 6 level maybe) maths enough, or would someone have to be a top 3u or 4u student to cope? I know that the pre requisite is 3u maths, but does it get substantially harder to the point where a 3u math student cant cope?
Thanks
(Just thinking about possible career paths lol)
Maths only gets harder in Uni and onwards. 4U is sorta 1st yr uni content. Comp sci/data sci probably have to take up to 2nd yr math, maybe some 3rd year topics. Only difference is that you probs have better teachers, more help, and more time in uni. oh yeah, and also your brain should be peaking in uni.

Velocifire

Critical Hit
HSC
Yo! But is 4u maths assumed anywhere, or is that for the tryhards (technically acceleration?) Or what if you meet ATAR but don't do prereq?

I've heard ppl that don't meet prereq and they are doing fine for their course?

idkkdi

HSC
Yo! But is 4u maths assumed anywhere, or is that for the tryhards (technically acceleration?) Or what if you meet ATAR but don't do prereq?

I've heard ppl that don't meet prereq and they are doing fine for their course?
4u maths is not a prereq in any course. Recommended for some tho. Bridging courses for prereqs. You can always catch up on prereqs. Not doing the prereq is worse than doing it.

Velocifire

Critical Hit
HSC
But what if you get 💩 results in those assumed subjects in school and it drags ATAR down?

On that note, could someone be able to do a STEM course with 99. XX ATAR doing sm2?

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
I don't do the computer science but I just recently finished a math minor at unsw so I've done a lot of the subjects a computer science math person will do and probably a few more. In terms of uni it depends what you mean, if you are looking for getting high distinctions and high marks then HSC maths is probably a good indication of what you will do at uni (the content is not related but just in terms of math being a subject that is transferable in the thinking and skills in different topics and content). In terms of getting low 70s (high credit) or 75+ (distinction) then yeah it's probably fine if you work hard. But just a general comment the math doesn't get anymore fun hahaha. First year maths is fine it's basically like 3 unit + some selected 4 unit stuff and then they go into new content for 60% of the course, so it's not too bad. After first year though the math becomes more difficult and you have to work harder, basically has no relation to little relation to high school. So if you're not like loving maths now, then it will probably make you want to smash your head (I know this from personal experience, I'm so happy now I am finished with maths).

Just as a reference I did both 2 unit and 3 unit math only (although I did get like 98/100 and 48/50) for them. I've got high distinction for all my uni math courses, the marks in uni are a little bit different however, since they are mainly raw marks and don't get aligned and stuff like HSC but you could say basically a mid distinction is similar to a band 6 and high distinction is a mid to high band 6. If you're goal is to do one of those degrees then you will probably be fine, you just need to get through the uni maths stuff and after that it's not like most of the time you aren't going to actually use it. As the computer programs will probably be used to do a lot of the stuff that a human would do slower.

B1andB2

oui oui baguette
HSC
N/A
I don't do the computer science but I just recently finished a math minor at unsw so I've done a lot of the subjects a computer science math person will do and probably a few more. In terms of uni it depends what you mean, if you are looking for getting high distinctions and high marks then HSC maths is probably a good indication of what you will do at uni (the content is not related but just in terms of math being a subject that is transferable in the thinking and skills in different topics and content). In terms of getting low 70s (high credit) or 75+ (distinction) then yeah it's probably fine if you work hard. But just a general comment the math doesn't get anymore fun hahaha. First year maths is fine it's basically like 3 unit + some selected 4 unit stuff and then they go into new content for 60% of the course, so it's not too bad. After first year though the math becomes more difficult and you have to work harder, basically has no relation to little relation to high school. So if you're not like loving maths now, then it will probably make you want to smash your head (I know this from personal experience, I'm so happy now I am finished with maths).

Just as a reference I did both 2 unit and 3 unit math only (although I did get like 98/100 and 48/50) for them. I've got high distinction for all my uni math courses, the marks in uni are a little bit different however, since they are mainly raw marks and don't get aligned and stuff like HSC but you could say basically a mid distinction is similar to a band 6 and high distinction is a mid to high band 6. If you're goal is to do one of those degrees then you will probably be fine, you just need to get through the uni maths stuff and after that it's not like most of the time you are going to actually use it. As the computer programs will probably be used to do a lot of the stuff that a human would do slower.
Thanks heaps for the clarification!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)