how good is COMMERCE LIBERAL STUDIES AT UNSW OR UYSYD? (1 Viewer)

yennie B

HSC
IS ANY ONE DOING THOSE?

if so, how good is commerce liberal studies course??? cos thts my aim course to get into.

but i'd be happy with commerce arts

AND yr 12 not doing any thing related to commerce or business economics ,
will i need to do a bridging course.

and the cores for commerce??? they sound boring. i'll only be looking forward to my majors.

doink

Clone
HSC
if you think cores for commerce are boring you should probably do something else because the majors build upon it. I have a feeling you are only going to do liberal studies because it has a higher UAI cut-off.

And no there is no assumed/required knowledge for a commerce degree.

yennie B

HSC
doink said:
if you think cores for commerce are boring you should probably do something else because the majors build upon it. I have a feeling you are only going to do liberal studies because it has a higher UAI cut-off.

And no there is no assumed/required knowledge for a commerce degree.

why would i do a course that has a higher uai cut off??? i'd think i would want to do something that i LIKE and a course that i can realistically get.

but if i only choose liberal studies, its way too broad and i woudl like to focus on something. thats where commerce comes in.

maybe i should look into the course more. :) cheers mate

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
Im in a my final yr of b com (lib st) at usyd and I gotta say, if you already know what you want to major in then probably b com is the way to go.

b com (lib st) is for people who don't know what they wanna do but want a b com for security. I didnt have a clue what I wanted to do in yr 12 but i liked economics and I like artsy stuff like history/politics blah blah so b com (lib st) seemed perfect.

But once u get to uni, you might suddenly realise you know what you wanna do and the extra yr is a waste filled with electives and units you could've done in Yr 1-3.

The UNSW course is new (even the usyd course i relatively new, being only about 9 years old) so I dont know anything about it or anyone doing it but its probably the same.

What do you want to major in? Because I ended up majoring in Accounting and Economics and had to do ALL of the cores anyway (doh!!).

yennie B

HSC
Sarah168 said:
Im in a my final yr of b com (lib st) at usyd and I gotta say, if you already know what you want to major in then probably b com is the way to go.

b com (lib st) is for people who don't know what they wanna do but want a b com for security. I didnt have a clue what I wanted to do in yr 12 but i liked economics and I like artsy stuff like history/politics blah blah so b com (lib st) seemed perfect.

But once u get to uni, you might suddenly realise you know what you wanna do and the extra yr is a waste filled with electives and units you could've done in Yr 1-3.

The UNSW course is new (even the usyd course i relatively new, being only about 9 years old) so I dont know anything about it or anyone doing it but its probably the same.

What do you want to major in? Because I ended up majoring in Accounting and Economics and had to do ALL of the cores anyway (doh!!).

omg thanks ! lol :)

well right now i have my eyes keen on political economy and international business.

i like the sound of economics but dont't do it.... but friends raving on about how interesting it is... so i've been trying to read up on (like being upto date with current affairs , economy, etc ) ....

but i'd really like to work for parliament.... not necessarily law or could be a non government organisation... UN SOUNDS REALLY GOOD.

for my my major i have my eyes on like political economy ? ( a core that is on an an international scale and politics is good too !

and definetly continue with my french

btw sarah : whats the fourth year that offers an exchange overseas about ???

enjoy making sense of my response :) thanks!

Last edited:

yennie B

HSC
fOR3V3RPINKKKK said:
hi yennie :)

i do commerce (liberal studies) at usyd and so far (ive only been doing it for three weeks) i really enjoy it.

in short at usyd you would have to do at least 2 majors (it is possible to do 3), 4 subs in the arts faculty and 2 subs in the science faculty. the degree will take 4 years full time. oh yeah and the best part is that you don't have to do those commerce core units (which i found a life saver cause i cant stand micro/macro economics stuff!) but you do have to do the unit called - communication and critical analysis which i enjoy anyway (much more than i would with the core commerce subs).

if you want more information check this website out:
http://www.usyd.edu.au/handbooks/economics_business/08_bcom_libstudies.shtml

EDIT: btw you don't need to do a bridging course, unless you didn't do 2 unit maths then yeah....
and also if you are thinking of doing a cadetship then i would recommend going to unsw because usyd has less flexible timetables
thats AWESOME!

CONGRATULATIONS ! lol. i hope i get it.

you've got me confused! their called core units so don't you HAVE to do em?

oh and UNI's offer cadet ships??? i seriously didnt know that . thought it was jst companies ....

:)

Kujah

HSC
N/A
Nah, companies offer the cadetships. She's just saying that the timing of work and study may clash with each other if you successfully get one, and in USyd's case, it's less flexible than UNSW.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
The USYD degree itself, however, is much more flexible. There are no core units (bar one) and if you don't want to do the accounting/finance/stats subjects, you don't have to.

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
it sounds like you're not totally set on what you want to do so B com (lib st) is good for flexibility (esp if u can get the marks, i hear the cut off hovers close to 99 these days for a HECS place...omg) if you dont mind doing an extra yr

if you want to a language then this degree is particularly useful since it allows for 2 business majors and another major in french if that is what you're after. the handbook will be more useful for the rules cos im not majoring in a 3rd area.

there is no overseas exchange component in this degree. I think you are referring to International studies degrees where a stint overseas is comulsory.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)