How good to u have to be to pass law? (1 Viewer)

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
You really fully understand the difference between civil & public law... the court structure, precedent, common law, and statute law... without doing any law?

Combining this statement with the one you made above, I think it's fairly likely that you're just trying to act smart. Either that or you're a genius.
No I'm not acting smart by any means, nor am I close to being a genius. I didn't mean anything by that last statement.

And no I don't know all of the above things (court structure etc.) in a lot of detail, but I know about them. For instance, I know what a precedent is, and the difference between statutes and common law but only by definition...of course I know absolutely nowhere near what a Law student or even an HSC Legal Studies student would know. Saying "I know all of those" wasn't meant to convey a pompous or arrogant attitude. All I was saying was that I know about them. Maybe I should have phrased it more appropriately as "Yes, I learnt about those briefly at school and through general reading"

Last edited:

Omnidragon

Devil
HSC
Uni Grad
Legal Studies in HSC has nearly nothing to do with the law. I bet the yr 12s didn't learn about the Fair Practices Act, nor heard about the Parol Evidence Rule in legal studies.

In law, you don't really learn about things like precedent or difference between public or civil law. I think they spend like a few weeks going over it for first years... and your examination material has nothing to do with that.

stamos

sellout
HSC
cherryblossom said:
Frig what are you on about. advanced is a shit scaling sub.
he's talking about your raw mark being scaled into an aligned mark

advanced is shit scaling for when your aligned mark gets turned into your scaled mark

DER

erawamai

Retired. Gone fishing.
HSC
Omnidragon said:
Legal Studies in HSC has nearly nothing to do with the law. I bet the yr 12s didn't learn about the Fair Practices Act,
I've never learnt about a Fair Practices Act. Even in law school.

HSC
PwarYuex said:
My observation is that only people with a clear passion for English and argument enjoy law.
That should be and/or argument.

You need skills in English, but you don't need to be very good at English. You do however need to be able to read and write.

I don't have a clear passion for English, but I love arguments and debates.

I am not starting with a Bachelor of Laws, but the minor I do will be Legal Studies (the major Economics).

HSC
Omnidragon said:
Legal Studies in HSC has nearly nothing to do with the law. I bet the yr 12s didn't learn about the Fair Practices Act, nor heard about the Parol Evidence Rule in legal studies.
We did, but only because we have a f**king good teacher.

In Consumer Law we learnt about:

Consumer Protection Act 1969 (NSW);
Fair Trading Act 1987 (NSW);
Trade Practices Act 1974 (Cth);
Consumer Credit (NSW) 1995 (NSW);
Sale of Goods Act 1923 (NSW).

He touched on some of the other specific Acts as well, for example, how the Anti-Descrimination Act 1977 (NSW) relates to consumer law.

Last edited:

Meldrum

Banned
HSC
MasterOfDisgyis said:
We did, but only because we have a f**king good teacher.

In Consumer Law we learnt about:

Consumer Protection Act 1969 (NSW);
Fair Trading Act 1987 (NSW);
Trade Practices Act 1974 (Cth);
Consumer Credit (NSW) 1995 (NSW);
Sale of Goods Act 1923 (NSW).

He touched on some of the other specific Acts as well, for example, how the Anti-Descrimination Act 1977 (NSW) relates to consumer law.
Legal studies is more competitive now.
Questions are becoming more focused around analysing legislation and its changing role.

flappzz

HSC
re: how good you have to be to pass?

Would think you would have to be average at english but like youre bound to pick up the legal jargon along the way :)

jelly

hey guys

im in 4th yr com/law @ unsw, i did my hsc in 2001. u don't need any knowledge to do law at all actually - they'll teach you everything (all the basic stuff) in the first subject and all the skills you'll need to have to read cases and answer legal problems. no one got an advantage in 1st yr cos they'd done legal studies.

also, you're not writing alotta essays in law. instead, most exams will be legal problems (big mucked-up scenario) which you gotta argue a solution for on one side or the other based on case law and legislation. it's actually quite fun..sorta like creating order from chaos! but yeh, english writing skills are needed. if you're totally crap at english, you'll find it hard. logic's and deduction's needed too for some areas of law where there's little case law and you'll need to stretch decisions and argue that they can apply a certain way. it's all about thinking logically, structuring arguments etcetc...

oh man and u can have the worst memory and do law cos exams are all openbook! just have a mad set of notes to take into the exam and know/understand the material and u're fine. very few ppl actually fail any law subjects. more ppl fail commerce than law. cos if you can identify issues in the problem qn, and give an ok answer, you're already in with an easy pass. so passin law is easy i reckon. i find it easier than commerce!

i have friends in law who're really maths-minded (eg. they major finance etc, or did law cos they couldnt do med) and they've all passed law easily. the hardest bits of law are the readings, and just keeping up. otherwise its pretty good

law grad jobs in big firms are hard to get though..its tough. but with a law degree u can go anywhere - govt jobs, analysts, research, tax consultants in big4 acct firms... its good. law's interesting to do...if u're interested, then do it! just remember if u wana be a lawyer, u're gonna needta put in long hours (eg. 8am-7pm perhaps). if that aint u (like it aint me), then go do tax, or govt :p. or do another degree!

anyways sorry for the shpew guys - hope it all helps u guys with ur decisions. good luck with everything!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)