How Hard Are These Uni Economics Subjects? (1 Viewer)

futuremidwife

HSC
Uni Grad
Also, how much math do you actually need to sit these subjects? Like HSC General maths, or HSC Economics...? And should I actually prepare over my HSC break with a tutor or something? Because my mathematical ability isn't that strong.

COMM121 Statistics for Business (Commerce I think)
ECON101 Macroeconomic Essentials for Business
ECON111 Introductory Microeconomics
ECON305 Economic Policy

And I have to decide between these two.
ECON215 Microeconomic Theory and Policy
OR
ECON205 Macroeconomic Theory and Policy

This is for a minor study in the B/Poltics/Philosophy/Economics (Deans Scholars). I need to maintain 75% in all my subjects.

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
2 unit level as a bare minimum, primarily the calculus parts of the course.

In first year you usually avoid these (except in stats) but if you decide to progress to later years in economics then the calculus knowledge is essential.

enoilgam

HSC
Also, how much math do you actually need to sit these subjects? Like HSC General maths, or HSC Economics...? And should I actually prepare over my HSC break with a tutor or something? Because my mathematical ability isn't that strong.
Uni economics tends to be far more technical and maths based than HSC Economics. The first year foundation courses are usually easy (basically a recap of supply and demand from year 11 plus a few other things), but second year and beyond is hard. I did Macroeconomic Theory and Policy at ND (the first course of an eco major) and it was probably the hardest course I did outside of Law. It was extremely technical and involved knowledge of 2 unit maths. Beyond that, as Trebla said, I'm pretty sure 2U would be a minimum, as some of my mates who did an Eco major at ND told me that they did some 3U/4U stuff.

Futuremedstudent

Ancient Orator
HSC
N/A
Uni economics tends to be far more technical and maths based than HSC Economics. The first year foundation courses are usually easy (basically a recap of supply and demand from year 11 plus a few other things), but second year and beyond is hard. I did Macroeconomic Theory and Policy at ND (the first course of an eco major) and it was probably the hardest course I did outside of Law. It was extremely technical and involved knowledge of 2 unit maths. Beyond that, as Trebla said, I'm pretty sure 2U would be a minimum, as some of my mates who did an Eco major at ND told me that they did some 3U/4U stuff.
best eco tutor in macquarie uni is Marc Lombard

futuremidwife

HSC
Uni Grad
Thanks guys! I was thinking of doing microeconomic theory and policy, and from what I'm gathering ppl say it's quite easier. The only economics subjects I am taking is the ones highlighted above. I'm majoring in politics/philosophy, so I need to get through the above subjects only. Has anyone attempted the ones above? So nervous now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Larche

HSC
I took macroeconomics as an elective last semester and I found it to be incredibly boring. May have been because my tutor had a thick accent and was difficult to understand or because the lecturer had a voice that could put you to sleep. But personally, I'm not all that mathematically inclined, nor do I have any interest in business, I just took it to see if I would maybe like it :D aaaand I didn't. But in regards to your question, I took general math in HS and I really had no trouble with the subject, the subject was so ridiculously easy that it was harder to fail than pass.

So I wouldn't worry too much about it :)

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Can't speak for eco units at Macquarie but first year subjects require basic 2U, then second and third year units can vary between 2U and 4U with also some uni level stuff (primarily differentiation). Of course, this does not include econometrics which is not studied at a high school level.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)