How hard does General Maths get? (1 Viewer)

Spiritual Being

hehehehehe
HSC
Uni Grad
Im thinking of doing biology next year, what is it like??? cause my schools doing a different pathway so i only have 3 subjects this year
It's content heavy, it's pretty straight forward most of the time, though some concepts need more time than others. Definitely nothing complicated if you maintain consistent effort. Then again, I may be not the best person to task as this is just my observation, thus far.

enoilgam

HSC
I am finding the preliminary general course painfully easy. I am good at maths, but I don't enjoy it, which is why I didn't choose Mathematics.
My problem is I am finding the course so boring and simple, it is almost embarrassing sitting there learning things I remember learning in primary school.
I am thinking of dropping next year, and taking up extension history.
I am just wondering how much harder the course gets in HSC year?
It depends on the skill of the individual students - some people find it easier than others

You'd be surprised how tricky it can get sometimes...
This. Look its not very difficult, but its not piss easy either like many people think. You still need to put in a degree of work to get a good mark - you cant just rock up on the day.

Rackshea

HSC
General Maths really isn't that hard. That's why it's called "General Maths" there's a lot of worded problems though. Once you get around those it's pretty simple. Also. Annuities is pretty hard if you've never seen it before.

Galapagos

HSC
N/A
I am finding the preliminary general course painfully easy. I am good at maths, but I don't enjoy it, which is why I didn't choose Mathematics.
My problem is I am finding the course so boring and simple, it is almost embarrassing sitting there learning things I remember learning in primary school.
I am thinking of dropping next year, and taking up extension history.
I am just wondering how much harder the course gets in HSC year?
It doesn't get any harder than compound interest.

GravezDigger

HSC
If your good at maths, you can just about breeze through every single course except 4U. The rest require barely any practice, just intuition

tara1794

HSC
The content isn't hard but the questions are designed to trick you from the way they're worded...it's alot easier to make a mistake in general

Eduard_Khil

CASIO fx-82ES PLUS
HSC
N/A
General maths is soooo freakin hard. It's not funny, jesus I do extention 2 maths, and I get like 60% in General, but I can get like high 80% in maths extension 2, dude don't drop it you're going to have the time of your life, if you want a challenge.

T-Hud

HSC
Fairly easy, but you can become too lazy within the subject and it could cost you marks.

Drifting95

Should i change my DP?
HSC
The content isn't hard but the questions are designed to trick you from the way they're worded...it's alot easier to make a mistake in general
As said here, the content is not difficult at all, however it is so easy to drop a mark or two for silly mistakes.

Sunners

HSC
Uni Grad
They're right. The content isn't hard. Most of it is just getting given numbers and putting them into different equations from Simpsons rule to the cosine rule. Unfortunatly it is easy to lose marks for setting out but the content itself isn't hard at all if you put the effort into it.

Kandahar, Islamic Republic of Afghanistan
HSC
Uni Grad
General Maths gets very hard, even for a 4U student. What on Earth are annuties, data skewing, z scores...the list goes on?. Even worse are those long, convoluted worded problems. It's too hard so that's why it scales so bad.

HSC Maths courses in order of difficulty (in my opinion):

2U<3U<4U< General

Last edited:

moocow920

HSC
I changed from 3u to general from prelim to HSC as I was bottoming 2u and ext, and ended up coming 2nd overall (girl who came first also did 3u in prelim). The actual content is not difficult but it is easy to become bored and lazy, and as others have mentioned the wordy problems are very easy to trip up on. Overall though if you have any ability at maths and put in at least basic effort you should do fine, I didn't do a single bit of homework the whole year and managed fine

Candidate

HSC
The four unit students at my school couldn't even do my General questions when I needed help. I think because because the questions are so different to the higher level maths courses, and contain a lot of useless content that higher level mathematicians have forgotten.

I dropped it because it was more like an English course with numbers.

bartbob13

HSC
Dropped down from 2U to General 2 weeks before trials, came first in the year. I'd say the hardest one are where there is no maths at all or alot of wording needed. Also some the the probability, and some of the measurement ones they will give you some in CM some in M and ask for the Answer in on of them. Thats about it.

seerat

HSC
N/A
Financial Maths would be the hardest topic. It's mostly the annuities that got a lot of my classmates. It's getting the right formula most of the time, but all you need to do is pick out what information you have and what you need to find.

I am finding the probability and linear equations the hardest. My mind doesn't work with it very well.
did u really get 68.25 atar??? what dragged u down the most???? how much did u get in standard english and general maths (if u dont mind answering)

seerat

HSC
N/A
General Maths really isn't that hard. That's why it's called "General Maths" there's a lot of worded problems though. Once you get around those it's pretty simple. Also. Annuities is pretty hard if you've never seen it before.
what atar did u get???? how did u go in standard english and general maths????

Raxxhel

HSC
N/A
General maths issue
Help, I have an issue, last year I didn't get a chance to do my general maths 2 assessment because I was sick and failed to provide a medical certificate which was worth 20%. However I did my half yearlies exam an I got 31% which was bad considering 50% of the people doing the course got below 50% and was worth 30%.
What am I risking myself?
What can I do?
What percentage should I get for my second assessment and trials.
Is there a chance I can still get band 5 or 6?

Thank you:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)