• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

How hard is 4 units maths? (1 Viewer)

Herremann

HSC
N/A
if you can solve this:

x + 4 = x + 3 (find the value of x)

you should do 10 unit maths
It's pretty standard actually for a good 2 Unit class: there is no real solution. It's in the same basket as 2( x + 3 ) = 2x + 6. For this, x is an element of the set of real numbers (and complex numbers too for ext 2). One is a solution where no real values are true, while the other, all values are true.

Next you'll try and convince me that parallel lines never meet. :haha:

Anyway, to the original poster:

What textbook have you been using? If you want to see whether you can reasonably handle 4 Unit / Extension 2, get the Cambridge 3 Unit books and see how you go at the Extension sections (which are an excellent treatment and preparation for the Harder 3 unit questions in the 4 unit course). If you can get through some of these questions, you are getting close to 100% on your 2 unit work and performing well in Extension 1, then definitely give Extension 2 a go. You can always drop back down if you are doing enough units - I would consider carefully however if dropping down was not an option.

As for the exam and coursework, as others have said most of the exam is procedural with the last couple of questions requiring ingenuity, elegance of solution or even just a little luck to complete within the time frame. However, the course does require a lot of practise that you will find time consuming (it is after all taking up almost half of your HSC). You need to be dedicated though so as you can perform quickly in both the exams you will do. Most good students can get close to full marks if given enough time. The fact is though that you aren't provided with this.

Anyway, hope this helps. And by the way, yes, some of those Q7 and Q8 exam questions are absolutely horrid. The way how the subject is scaled though picks up the slack.

Best Regards
Herremann

cutemouse

Account Closed
HSC
N/A
It's not too bad... after all it helps with 3U performance (provided that you actually do work)

kwabon

Banned
HSC
LOL, obviously all you guys are saying that it is overrated are pretty beast at 4 unit, i would consider myself to be a little better than the average 4 unit student, i think it is quite hard, doable, but hard.
especially those polynomials questions ...... bastard polynomials ....:burn:

iNerd

Banned
HSC
how much does every one study a day on maths?
cause I hear it's a LOT. like 3 hours or something...

Herremann

HSC
N/A
The definition of parallel lines is that they meet at infinity.
Actually, the definition of the "special point infinity" is that all curves will intersect it once meaning that parallel lines will meet at the special point infinity - but that's all applied to relativity I believe.

badquinton304

HSC
how much does every one study a day on maths?
cause I hear it's a LOT. like 3 hours or something...
About 1 hour, but I accellerated 3u, so now I find that mastering 4u tricks and tools is really easy.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)