How hard is 90+ atar! (1 Viewer)

InsoulvencyReaper

Existential Crisis
HSC
It really depends on the student.

In hindsight I found that a 90+ ATAR was easy. I didn't study (I did my homework and I was the kid who sat the front and participated) and I worked excessive hours but that was because I picked subjects that didn't require me to think/ study too hard.

I revised a week before trials and a week before the HSC. That probably wasn't a good idea but I still managed.

However, to achieve 95+ like most of my friends did... Now that requires consistent effort!

Subjects I did back in the day:
Eng Adv
Eng Ext 1
Modern History
History Extension
Business Studies
Legal Studies
Music

I came first in my class every year up until year 11, where I got a part time job and stopped caring. A bad time to lose motivation [emoji23]

SlimiJay

HSC
During my HSC I studied a lot, and I mean a lot. I knew so much and everyone said I study a lot, however when it came to exams I stuffed up. I couldn't answer questions properly, I'm not sure what was happening but I do know it cost me my 90+ ATAR. Overall, make sure all that content you have in your head, you can actual answer questions in an exam, otherwise everything would be to waste.
And one more thing, if you do maths MAKE SURE you learn how to minimise silly mistakes because it cost me a high mark in maths, as there was only one question I didn't know how to do and the rest I did but ended up with 89... so make sure you work with silly mistakes because they cost you a lot.

legend12345

HSC
lol u got straight As and youre only going for 90+? Dude ull get at least 98 lol

dermite

HSC
N/A
its the summer holidays currently for me, and in a couple of weeks ill be starting term 2 of year 12.
I have a couple of questions that i would like answered, but could never find the right people to ask.
1. How did you use these summer holidays? I've read about people playing games for 15hours a day then sleeping for the rest of the day, but also people who study for around 5hrs a day. Is the latter recommended? If not, what is the optimum study time throughout these and future holidays?
2. I underestimated the toughness of the first term exams, so much so that I was only in the 60-70% for 3 out of my 6 subjects (MathExt1, Physics, Chem, Engineering, IPT, English Adv). What is required of me from now on in all of my exams and assessments to achieve 90+ atar?
3. Given that my worst subject was engineering (in yr 11 and so far in yr 12), i am currently contemplating whether to drop the course, as I carried over all my subjects from yr 11. I ned some advice on whether I should drop, so anything will be appreciated.

Thanks heaps! Any answers and suggestions will be deeply appreciated!

dermite

HSC
N/A
My year 10 was really good (around the same marks, all 90+%), but for some reason my form completely dropped in yr 11 and so far in year 12.
Many people have said this is because of incorrect study strategies, so i was wondering what these 'study strategies' are, and how to effectively use them.

ShootingDuck

HSC
My year 10 was really good (around the same marks, all 90+%), but for some reason my form completely dropped in yr 11 and so far in year 12.
Many people have said this is because of incorrect study strategies, so i was wondering what these 'study strategies' are, and how to effectively use them.
For me personally doing past papers under exam conditions was successful. For maths its important to be exposed to a variety of questions which also helps to be able to answer question much more faster, allowing you to not only finish in time but allows you to check your answers or give extra time for any questions you got stuck on. Generally speaking it very important to practise questions consistently for maths since its all skills based.

For science subjects its important to know the content like the back of your hand before doing any past papers, as you're pretty much expected to know all of the content just to get a reasonable mark. It definitely wasn't time efficient but I read over my bio notes over and over again before any big test to make sure all the information is drilled into my head. A more effective method I suggest is spaced repetition with flash cards (which i did for Japanese). Its a bit harder to do past papers for subjects that aren't maths since the answers can be varied. When school starts again i highly suggest annoying the hell outta of your teacher(s) to mark any past papers you've done, as knowing how to answer questions the way that the markers want you to answer in is crucial.

If you really want the free time and if you don't think you can salvage your marks in engineering, drop it. If you dont think you'd spend the extra free periods wisely and your not fully confident with dropping the subject, I'd suggest keeping it. You can always drop it later, theres no need to drop it as soon as possible.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)