How hard is getting 99.95? Would i have a chance? PLEASE HELP! (1 Viewer)

justem

'Alpha' female ;)
HSC
But how do u know that u are gonna succeed ? There is a 50/50 chance

Like u are able to lift a 6kg object

Then u get the mentality that u can lift 20kg object . now u have the chance of succeeding or failing.

U lift the 20 kg , u failed now you tore your muscle, what good has resulted ??

You don't know if you are , but there is that 50% chance you will. And just because you fail once doesn't mean you cannot attempt the same thing again. But hey if you wanna live life not going anywhere or progressing because of failure, then you do you

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

watermelondayo

HSC
N/A
Re: Should I get 99.95? Is it easy?

Should you get 99.95? If it was a matter of choice ain't nobody gonna be studyin'

What do you do in those 5 hours of daily study?

enigma_1

~~~~ Miss Cricket ~~~~
HSC

Then u get the mentality that u can lift 20kg object . now u have the chance of succeeding or failing.

You work towards it lol. Progressively. First lift 6kg, then 7, 8....
Don't just lift the 20kg straight away obv muscles will tear. That's why it's important to practise/train. If you do so gradually and consistently you'll become better which applies to anything in life.

Rhinoz8142

HSC
Uni Grad
Always think positive. You can do whatever the fk you aim for because no one can stop you. So many great people failed several times, but their failures only made them stronger and thus resulted in them succeeding in their lives/achieving their dreams. You've got all the tools to do so yourself, the only thing that is restricting you would be your mentality. Once that is changed, your life will change.

This :)
I would admit, that ppl should think positive but also they should consider to think of the negative side it exits and it must be considered

enigma_1

~~~~ Miss Cricket ~~~~
HSC
I would admit, that ppl should think positive but also they should consider to think of the negative side it exits and it must be considered
Defs, but the glass will always be half full.

Examine

same
HSC
But if u know that there is a chance of failing why even do it ???
because not being a little bitch having a goal (even stretch goals) can be rewarding regardless of whether you fail or not. If you fail you just learn shit from it and try to improve.

well you can lift 6->8->10->...->20 and then you would be able to

and in most cases you probs won't even tear a muscle. you can either move onto other things or do stuff so that you can eventually lift 20kg in the future

Last edited:

enoilgam

HSC
I have decided to re-open this thread, as it contains some valuable advice for the community.

Flop21

HSC
It is very hard. Don't you have to get like 100% on all your tests? It's not something that everyone gets, and most people would be absolutely ecstatic to get over 90.

And you're only in year 9 - again like other people said stop stressing. Think about your ATAR end of year 10 when you're choosing subjects, not now. Year 9 was my bludge year lol.

I think you'll start to get an idea of how hard it is maybe during year 10 or start of year 11 when the tests get a lot harder and closer to the style of the HSC. I know when I was in year 9 the tests were really dumb.

enoilgam

HSC
In 2013 there were only 48 students in NSW who got 99.95. 32 males, 16 females
Didnt it used to be the other way around a few years back?

In my view, a "failure" is someone who never gives it a go. If you have assessed your skills and dont believe you can do it, then fair enough (I'd still argue that you should give it a go). But if you are quitting because you are scared of failing, then in my view, you are a failure. Give it your best and even if you fail, you wont regret it (definitely been my personal experience).

This is a fair point and I think something which people ignore. One of the hardest things to do is to keep going in the face of failure or disappointment. Contrary to popular belief, "working hard" isnt really too difficult if you are succeeding or if you enjoy what you're doing. I'm not denying that it's hard work, but as I said, it isn't the most difficult thing ever. In contrast, working hard when you're failing is extremely difficult and emotionally draining. It kills your confidence and morale and it can take a significant personal toll.

I was in that position throughout my HSC and it was the most difficult thing I've ever had to do - I worked my best right up until the last day, but I new I wasn't going to make it from at least half way through. I've gone through uni with high results, worked in two major organisations (including a role in change management) and nothing really has ever come close to being as difficult as my HSC year. They might have been more complicated, but they just cant match the difficulty.

Last edited:

turntaker

HSC
I am glad I don't want to do med lol cause it would be hard to get that high

go_cadel

HSC
To summarise, 'Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars'. It's always better to aim higher, because even if you don't quite get it, you'll have still done pretty well.
In saying that, it's still important to keep your aims realistic, something with at least say a 10% chance.
Most importantly though, don't let your results define you as a person.

Last edited:

Crobat

#tyrannosaurusREKT
HSC
So I think it's about time I actually give a helpful post on the forum.

Basically in regards to your question about how the ATAR generally works, it's simplest if you think about it in terms of the higher your mark in the subject, the higher your ATAR will be. There is a complex system of scaling surrounding it based on the average performance of the cohorts sitting the exam, the difficulty of each subject, aggregate scaling, etc, but these are all too complicated to explain for just about every student in NSW (myself included). You might have some luck and have D94 stumble upon this thread to adequately explain it, or cem, who is a senior teacher/HSC marker if I recall correctly, or you can ask some teachers at your school. Usually upon entering Year 12 your teachers will hold a short presentation and attempt to explain it to you.

UAC also has a general guide that you may find helpful: http://www.uac.edu.au/undergraduate/faq/atar-calculation.shtml

You don't need 99.95 to do UNSW med. If I were you and I really wanted UNSW med I'd work on my UMAT and interviews :/

UMAT isn't easy... less preparation but defs not easy, lol. ATAR mostly about hardwork... and you don't really need to have that much natural aptitude to do decently in it. (imo).
Also, 99.95 is a lot harder than getting a high umat. It requires natural aptitude, a lot of effort and persistence, as well as luck!
To some extent it doesn't. There are many external factors that play into your ATAR - the important ones are namely your cohort, your subject choices and their scaling, and the other less quantifiable ones are the level of difficulty of the HSC questions and the performance of the state. OP is already in an ideal position to achieve her goal of 99.95 - she's at an exceptional school that consistently performs to a high standard, and she's in Year 9. A lot of people can take advantage of their subject selections (4u Math, Advanced English, Physics, Chemistry, Economics is the usual) and achieve along those lines. I think this is useful knowledge for students who want to take a bit of pressure off their own shoulders.

What you will need to do OP is develop a smart system of learning that works for you. For some people this will be rote learning, while for others this will be doing practice questions over and over again. If you think you will need tutoring, ask for it - I'm sure your parents will, dare I say it, even appreciate and encourage this. HSC will be your first experience of the balancing act of that is time management in life. This may mean you require less time on certain subjects than others; studying smart means will you acknowledge that and adjust your study schedule accordingly.

Also think about what subjects you enjoy; you will always excel in things you have a passion for and enjoy learning about. This might be music, history, art, etc, and even if they don't scale as high as say 4u Math, if you're confident in your ability to perform in those subjects then you are capable of maxing out the scaling aggregate that they will provide.

On balance, the gist of what I'm saying is that you can achieve a 99.95 regardless of how difficult people will tell you it is - some 50 students prove that every year. I'm sure D94 can come and correct some of the things I've said about scaling and aggregates (I'm no expert on those things), but there are a lot of factors at play in the calculation of your ATAR and you're in a position to take advantage of that, OP.

Why ?

There is no point for going for something if there is a chance of not happening
Because if there is no chance of failing, then there is no chance of learning, achievement or satisfaction. If there is nothing to beat, then there is nothing to gain.

Chance of failure is the only thing reminding you that life is worth living, and that you are capable of living it.

I hate it when people sugar coat advice myself, and I think I've launched quite a few passive aggressive attacks on people who do it on this forum (and there are a lot), but when there is someone who already appreciates the difficulty of something and is looking for practical advice, then that warrants a practical response.

It is very hard. Don't you have to get like 100% on all your tests? It's not something that everyone gets, and most people would be absolutely ecstatic to get over 90.
No you don't - I had 2 friends graduate with 99.95 and neither of them had 100% in anything, both had multiple 93s in fact. A big part of your ATAR comes down to the external factors I listed above.

In my view, a "failure" is someone who never gives it a go. If you have assessed your skills and dont believe you can do it, then fair enough (I'd still argue that you should give it a go). But if you are quitting because you are scared of failing, then in my view, you are a failure. Give it your best and even if you fail, you wont regret it (definitely been my personal experience).
Fear of failure is arguably the best motivator in life.

Quitters resign themselves to a life of mediocrity.

This is a fair point and I think something which people ignore. One of the hardest things to do is to keep going in the face of failure or disappointment. Contrary to popular belief, "working hard" isnt really too difficult if you are succeeding or if you enjoy what you're doing. I'm not denying that it's hard work, but as I said, it isn't the most difficult thing ever. In contrast, working hard when you're failing is extremely difficult and emotionally draining. It kills your confidence and morale and it can take a significant personal toll.

I was in that position throughout my HSC and it was the most difficult thing I've ever had to do - I worked my best right up until the last day, but I new I wasn't going to make it from at least half way through. I've gone through uni with high results, worked in two major organisations (including a role in change management) and nothing really has ever come close to being as difficult as my HSC year. They might have been more complicated, but they just cant match the difficulty.
I think a major difference in the HSC is that it's the first time in your life something is actually final (in that you never get to resit the exams again; what you get is determined indefinitely) and the first time you are faced with something that is, some might say, important. For many, I think, the HSC was difficult because you have never, at any point in your life, gone through a process like that - the last 5 years of high school were very much unimportant, bludgy and meaningless, and the overall difficulty in both conceptual substance and mere homework substance in the HSC is enormous compared to those previous years. Your first time doing anything is incredibly difficult, but with experience there is a certain process and standard that becomes normalized. As a student, that might translate to exam preparation and performance. As a doctor, that might translate to surgery, drug injections, etc. As a lawyer, that might translate to advice writing, court appearances, etc. I think that is what makes the HSC so difficult for some, and in saying that, allows a lot of people in hindsight to treat it as somewhat of a funny period in their lives where you were more or less stressed over nothing, really.

enoilgam

HSC
I think a major difference in the HSC is that it's the first time in your life something is actually final (in that you never get to resit the exams again; what you get is determined indefinitely) and the first time you are faced with something that is, some might say, important. For many, I think, the HSC was difficult because you have never, at any point in your life, gone through a process like that - the last 5 years of high school were very much unimportant, bludgy and meaningless, and the overall difficulty in both conceptual substance and mere homework substance in the HSC is enormous compared to those previous years. Your first time doing anything is incredibly difficult, but with experience there is a certain process and standard that becomes normalized. As a student, that might translate to exam preparation and performance. As a doctor, that might translate to surgery, drug injections, etc. As a lawyer, that might translate to advice writing, court appearances, etc. I think that is what makes the HSC so difficult for some, and in saying that, allows a lot of people in hindsight to treat it as somewhat of a funny period in their lives where you were more or less stressed over nothing, really.
I guess for me, it was more the psychology behind it which never really existed for other things I've done. I'd still rate it as being a key time for me in terms of being character building and such. I know it was only the HSC, but it still remains my proudest achievement, mainly because I know how much I put into it (the ATAR, scores and all that stuff is immaterial to me, it's more the intangibles I'm referring to).

I just think that failure isnt necessarily the worst thing ever - I know it sounds bad, but failure is a part of life and not everyone is going to succeed at everything. If you can honestly say you tried your best, then that's something you should be able to live with.

Crobat

#tyrannosaurusREKT
HSC
I guess for me, it was more the psychology behind it which never really existed for other things I've done. I'd still rate it as being a key time for me in terms of being character building and such. I know it was only the HSC, but it still remains my proudest achievement, mainly because I know how much I put into it (the ATAR, scores and all that stuff is immaterial to me, it's more the intangibles I'm referring to).

I just think that failure isnt necessarily the worst thing ever - I know it sounds bad, but failure is a part of life and not everyone is going to succeed at everything. If you can honestly say you tried your best, then that's something you should be able to live with.
I think failure is just a great opportunity for learning through self-evaluation. I find that figuring out what I did wrong the first time myself helps me to work at my potential, especially at work now that they're making me do a lot more things like sending me to Court and advising clients (under supervision, of course). It sounds pretentious and douchey but I didn't really have that during the HSC because I more or less cruised through it (I'm kind of doing that with uni too, although I am working more than I was during HSC, but not nearly enough to be working at my full capacity), so to me it's really still kind of a nothing in my books, with the exception of Math which I had a total turn around in.

But I agree that "if you can honestly say you tried your best, then that's something you should be able to live with". It sounds bad but sometimes your best in one thing simply won't match another person's best in the same, but there's always room for learning, especially from people who bested you.

BlugyBlug

HSC
Since ATAR came in the male proportion has been consistently around 60-67%
Possibly due to the trend of fewer girls pursuing maths in recent years?

http://www.smh.com.au/national/education/boys-and-girls-divided-on-maths-20130225-2f232.html
Yup. Everyone is going around saying "Scaling doesn't matter! Do subjects you like!" - but the truth of the matter is that someone who enjoys math ext 2 and chemistry will have a pretty big advantage over someone who enjoys history, legal, humanities etc and that's just how the HSC works.

Last edited:

NotCricket

HSC

Hi guys
I know many threads been made about this but I need advice. I also want to get into med but I don't think I good enough to get into usyd. I do 5 hours homework a night. If I study even more do you think I could get 99.95? I really want to do med cas I really like greys anatomy and my parents want me to become a doctor. How many people are 99.95 each year? I got into a selective school so does that mean I have a better chance?

Plz reply need urgent help (p.s. what is rep?)
lol
ok if you actually want to get it no bs

accelerate 4u maths and study your butt off while ignoring everything else, get a 97+ in it so you have 40% of your .95 in it secure, and then focus on smashing 6/7 units in year 12. but honestly that's if you're insane, it's just not that important.

Rain

HSC

lol
ok if you actually want to get it no bs

accelerate 4u maths and study your butt off while ignoring everything else, get a 97+ in it so you have 40% of your .95 in it secure, and then focus on smashing 6/7 units in year 12. but honestly that's if you're insane, it's just not that important.
There's 7u maths?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)