How hard is getting a 90+ UAI ?? (1 Viewer)

runnable

HSC
Aquawhite said:
Do your internal ranks contribute to your UAI? Internal tests and assessments?

Yes your rank determine your Internal aspect of your final HSC mark, which is 50% of the HSC mark.

hypothetically

HSC
Explosions Hurt said:
I think it's more about your ranks rather than your marks. I could be wrong though.

Anyone know for sure?
A UAI IS a rank. A UAI of 60 means you beat 60% of the state. 90% means you're in the top 10%. So on and so forth.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
A UAI of 90 is really quite easy.

And it's not linear mate. 90 is about the top 20 to 25% of the year 10 cohort.

If we only include year 12 students, it's about the top 17% of students.

80 is the top 32% or so of yr 12 students.

dux&src

just a star-crossed lover
HSC
runnable said:
That still depends on how well you did in your internals... rank-wise. But 90+ never hurts.
what>? sorry abit of topic here
i have been lately been contemplating applying for a higher ranked school, and currently i am dux of my grade at my school but i was wonderin if i would be better of dux at my school or being middleish at the school i'm applying for!

more information here: http://community.boredofstudies.org/showthread.php?t=177728

dwarven

[SMSHS'08']
HSC
go to that school
and see how you are going

if you are not satisfied you can always go back ;)

me121

Premium Member
HSC
dux&src said:
what>? sorry abit of topic here
i have been lately been contemplating applying for a higher ranked school, and currently i am dux of my grade at my school but i was wonderin if i would be better of dux at my school or being middleish at the school i'm applying for!

more information here: http://community.boredofstudies.org/showthread.php?t=177728
if your coming 1st then best to stay where you are, because if you come first in school assessment, your internal assessment mark is the highest mark that anyone in your school gets in the HSC exam, which more often or not is your mark. So i think you should stay where you are. But keep working hard, don't think that you can relax because you are coming 1st in your school, you want the best HSC mark you can get.

Slidey said:
And it's not linear mate. 90 is about the top 20 to 25% of the year 10 cohort.

??? thats not what i thought?
"A UAI of 99.00 does not represent the top 1% of the UAI cohort: 1.7% of the 2006 UAI cohort actually gained a UAI of 99.00 or above. It does, however, represent the level of achievement necessary to be in the top 1% of the 2004 SC cohort had all those students continued to Year 12 and been eligible for a UAI in 2006." --Technical Committee on Scaling, UAC, 2006 Report, pg 16.

I know that it doesn't apply for all the other UAI number's. But surely it is?

Jay12

HSC
hey can someone please tell me, would these ranks be able to get me a uai of around 97 or higher? .... assuming i get 90 or above in all the actual hsc exam(except english .. say 85):
Adv english: 5/11
bio: 1st-2nd/5
chem: 4/8
Ext 1 maths:4/10
Ext2 maths: 5/6

thanks

runnable

HSC
Jay12 said:
hey can someone please tell me, would these ranks be able to get me a uai of around 97 or higher? .... assuming i get 90 or above in all the actual hsc exam(except english .. say 85):
Adv english: 5/11
bio: 1st-2nd/5
chem: 4/8
Ext 1 maths:4/10
Ext2 maths: 5/6

thanks
Rank of school?

Jay12

HSC
We are the first year 12's so our school doesnt have a rank yet

runnable

HSC
Jay12 said:
We are the first year 12's so our school doesnt have a rank yet
Whao ok... Then I would say getting 97 is not quite feasible. Unless your school is like a sudden Top-of-the-state type of school, 97 will not be possible with your ranks.

runnable

HSC
I wasn't out to discourage anyone but with someone asking, I reckoned that they would prefer a honest answer.

Jay work extra hard and it can be possible.

me121

Premium Member
HSC
originally:
runnable said:
Whao ok... Then I would say getting 97 is not quite feasible. Unless your school is like a sudden Top-of-the-state type of school, 97 will not be possible with your ranks.
If I were you, Jay12, I wouldn't listen this this, and you should take Charity F's words of advice about not being discouraged. (I'm not trying to attack you runnable, but pointing out to Jay12 that I disagree with your advice.) No one here will be able to give you an estimate because we don't know what kind of level you are at (ranks are meaningless, because you could all just be a really smart bunch). Your teachers would be the only people in a position able to make reliable estimates, and even then they are only estimates. So keep working hard, and any UAI for you is possible at this stage, but you'll need to keep up with the work.

revised:
runnable said:
Although this estimate would be based solely on the marks she gave, and not her ranks.

Last edited:

runnable

HSC
me121 said:
If I were you, Jay12, I wouldn't listen this this, and you should take Charity F's words of advice about not being discouraged. (I'm not trying to attack you runnable, but pointing out to Jay12 that I disagree with your advice.) No one here will be able to give you an estimate because we don't know what kind of level you are at (ranks are meaningless, because you could all just be a really smart bunch). Your teachers would be the only people in a position able to make reliable estimates, and even then they are only estimates. So keep working hard, and any UAI for you is possible at this stage, but you'll need to keep up with the work.

Yea I considered the possiblity of them being a very smart bunch.

"Unless your school is like a sudden Top-of-the-state type of school"

And that is true. To be about the middle of the year or slightly above average. The school will have to be almost as good as the Top 3 Schools in NSW for the person to get over 97.

Jay12

HSC
Thank you so much guys (charity f, runnable and me121) for your advice, i really appreciate it :)

me121

Premium Member
HSC
runnable said:
Yea I considered the possiblity of them being a very smart bunch.

"Unless your school is like a sudden Top-of-the-state type of school"

And that is true. To be about the middle of the year or slightly above average. The school will have to be almost as good as the Top 3 Schools in NSW for the person to get over 97.
yeh.. thats why i changed my original reply.. but you were too fast for me.

HSC
tommykins said:
Yep, past HSc'ers have always told me

90 - 95 = learning ur content
95 - 98 = mastering it
98 - 100 = natural talent and mastering it
>80-consistent hard work= solely natural talent. :lol:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)