How hard is it to maintain credit average in eng.? (1 Viewer)

asdf

HSC
Hi
I want to do comp eng/ science but in order to get to the science, you must maintain a credit average (65%) in engineering before your alloud to do science. Is it hard to maintaian those marks? Also, if your alloud to combine the science degree, do i still have to maintain the credit average? Will i have to drop science it if i dont?

Thanks AGAIN! :)

...never thought it would be more stressing after recieving my UAI.

edit: I did 2u maths and Physic.

Last edited:

asdf

HSC
The thing is, if im sure i wont be able to maintain a credit average, i would rather go UTS and do the combined degree.

sunny

meh.
HSC
A credit average is not hard to get if you work consistently rather than leaving the cramming all to the end of the session.

But then again, the idea of 'not hard' will vary from person to person.

asdf

HSC
damn, i guess i cant risk it. Ill have to put it as my second preference. :(

anti

aww.. baby raccoon ^^
HSC
sif, sunny
i crammed before exams and i have a credit average.....

work shmork

sunny

meh.
HSC
well you have to maintain credit average don't you feebz? :D otherwise you'd be in abit of trouble! :p

anti

aww.. baby raccoon ^^
HSC
yup. but i don't do half as much work as some of the other guys do. that makes me feel better! :D

sunny

meh.
HSC
see asdf?

This is what I'm talking about - for feebz to get credit average she just needs to cram!

But having only done 2u maths, I suggest you take the ext 1 bridging course - the maths in first year comp sci/eng is quite demanding.

asdf

HSC
argh... so many difficult choices! I will be taking the bridging course no mater wat though.
yup. but i don't do half as much work as some of the other guys do. that makes me feel better!
Do the other half manage to get a credit average?

dvse

HSC
N/A
Most people (and even some simians) should be able to get a credit average in first year comp eng, provided that an effort is made to follow lecture material every week. Of course this is easier said.

If you do cram in the last 2 days, your chances are still good but it depends on luck, your assesment marks and ability.

asdf

HSC
Originally posted by dvse
Most people (and even some simians) should be able to get a credit average in first year comp eng, provided that an effort is made to follow lecture material every week. Of course this is easier said.
Yeh if its first year its good. But the thing is, it says that the credit average must be maintained (ie through 2,3...years) or else you will revert back to your single degree.

Here are the relevant quotes from UNSW site:
Students who achieve a creditable performance, 65CR average after one or two years of their Computer Engineering program, may apply to transfer to the combined BE in Computer Engineering/BSc program.

In addition to the BE program, students must complete a minimum of 60 units of credit in Science courses, including a major sequence in an approved area. The Science office must approve the Science component while the School of Computer Science & Engineering will approve the final program and schedule.

Students wishing to enrol in, transfer into, or continue in a combined program shall have complied with all the requirements for prerequisite study, sequencing and academic attainment (a credit average, i.e. 65%) of both the program authorities concerned.

Students who commence a combined program, but subsequently do not wish to proceed with both areas of study, or who fail to maintain a credit average performance, should revert to a single degree program with appropriate credit for courses completed.
Or did i misunderstand what it's saying?

Thanks for your help guys.

edit: Sunny, you do software engineering right?

Last edited:

Mr MU

Originally posted by asdf
Yeh if its first year its good. But the thing is, it says that the credit average must be maintained (ie through 2,3...years) or else you will revert back to your single degree.

Here are the relevant quotes from UNSW site:

Or did i misunderstand what it's saying?

Thanks for your help guys.

hmmm..... there goes my B Science

sunny

meh.
HSC
Originally posted by asdf
Nope, I do comp sci. But the comp eng degree is basically the comp sci subjects with all the electives already chosen for you in the fields of electrical, physics, and maths.

Combined degrees are always confusing - it would be best to find out more about this at info day.

But if its the credit average thats worrying you - don't let it put you of, remember you'll be mostly doing what you like in general (comp eng).

As I understand it, to get transfer into a combined degree (if you didn't enrol in one), you need to have had a credit average, and to stay in the combined degree, you need to maintain the credit average. This is off my head from things I've read - this might've changed by now, or I could be wrong.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)