how hard is it?? (1 Viewer)

santazlilhelpa

hi i'm in year 12 this year and im interesting in doing actuarial studies/appfinance
apparently it's really hard and only 1/3 of the people pass
i was just wandering if someone can tell me how it compares to 4u maths
and also is it like really hard to get a job because i know some people who've done actuarial and passed but they cant find a job here

ND

HSC
Heh i guess all the hopeful dudes are away. Hmm well i'm only 1st year and so far it's easy, but everyone says it'll get hard. It's not much like 4u, the only maths i've done in the course is probability (including some algebraic manipulation etc.) and a bit of financial maths (but it's really easy, like 2u or something).

My tutor told us that there is a shortage of jobs these days, and it's really hard to get a job while you're still in uni.

-=«MÄLÅÇhïtÊ»=-

HSC
hi im 2nd yr actuarial/appl finance

the hard bit about actuarial is modelling a real life situation into a maths problem. doing the maths is the easy bit because it's mechanical..there is alot of stress involved...to do well you can't have much of a social life.

yes employment isn't looking good. you may have to move to england or hong kong to find employment. otherwise you will start off in some non-actuarial job and then work your way up

santazlilhelpa

ok thanx you guys
it sounds tedious but i think ill still consider it since theres nothing else that interests me at the moment :D

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
how hard is it? depends on how much time you put in - if you put in six-hours a day, it shouldn't be hard at all; if you put in an hour a day, it should be pretty hard.

only 1/3 pass? i think it's a half - although, you'll get people spending alot longer than the recommended time, which means poor looking transcript, but they'll still get institute recognition

how does it compare to 4u? it's hard to compare them, except that both require thinking. actuarial will probably require more thinking

is it hard to get a job? it's harder nowadays with unsw also producing graduates. it depends how you define passing: as getting the degree in actuarial studies, or gaining exemptions and becoming an aaia. also "passing" isn't enough, i mean if you just pass, and everyone gets much more than pass, you're obviously in trouble. also if they're not going to hire you, they're not going to hire you. otherwise, it shouldn't be hard if you're an aiaa (completed part ii or iii).

hope that helps!
- a second year actuarial

Last edited:

ND

HSC
Originally posted by flyin'
how hard is it? depends on how much time you put in - if you put in six-hours a day, it shouldn't be hard at all; if you put in an hour a day, it should be pretty hard.
When you say that you're referring to 2nd sem right? Cos to be honest atm i'd have trouble finding something to do for even 2 hours each day. Do you think that for now it's enough to do just what's required (i.e. tutorials, assignments etc.), and cram before the exams? (i feel i'm on top of things, but that's all i do. i just wanna know whether i'm gonna get wasted by all these people that seem to study shitloads)

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
first semester should tell you abit about your prospects:
- hds would indicate you're doing extremely well
- ds would indicate you're doing well (enough for now)
- crs would indicate you're best advised to put in more hours
- ps won't happen! (it's first sem!)

it's different for everyone. mainly depends on circumstances and types and timing of assessments. i mean, ive bludged most of the 6 weeks besides assessments, and its been alright.

chunder

HSC
Originally posted by ND

My tutor told us that there is a shortage of jobs these days, and it's really hard to get a job while you're still in uni.
Is your tutor Ben? He seems to be the one creating all the negative vibes amongst us freshies. That guy should really lighten up and stop giving us all this reality bullshit....we want fairytales dammit!!!

ND

HSC
Yep it's Ben. I guess he's doing to get us to work harder. Not working though... :p

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by chunder
Is your tutor Ben? He seems to be the one creating all the negative vibes amongst us freshies. That guy should really lighten up and stop giving us all this reality bullshit....we want fairytales dammit!!!
Originally posted by ND
Yep it's Ben. I guess he's doing to get us to work harder. Not working though... :p
There might be a reason why he's a tutor and not working elsewhere :p

zxl

HSC
yup, the cram-before-exam strategy is still quite effective, well, for now anyways (middle of 1st sem in 1st yr)
juz wondering what are the legendary 'hard' units in 1st, 2nd and 3 years...

flamin'

Originally posted by zxl
yup, the cram-before-exam strategy is still quite effective, well, for now anyways (middle of 1st sem in 1st yr)
Some subjects you'll find are uncrammable. ACST211/MATH133 is a first year subject that you can't cram for. Well math you may be able to... Everything else you pretty much can (but its not recommended so dont' do it).

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by zxl
Legendary "hard" units, eh... Well, there's always:
* Acst211 (First Year, Second Sem)
* Stat272 (Second Year, First Sem)
* Acst243 (Second Year, Second Sem) <--- Aside: This is "the" hardest unit according to those who've gone before. You won't be doing this because you young uns are under a different syllabus where the material is combined with Survival Models (Acst344) which is spose to make it easier to understand. Acst243 has alot of theory which is said to be easier to understand if you see practical applications.

Don't know about third year subjects (344,399,305,345). But you're in the first year of the new program starting next year, so different units (even if they have the same name :p). So good luck! :p

william

HSC
Originally posted by flyin'

6 hours after classes?

Mini

relax
HSC
Originally posted by ND
When you say that you're referring to 2nd sem right? Cos to be honest atm i'd have trouble finding something to do for even 2 hours each day. Do you think that for now it's enough to do just what's required (i.e. tutorials, assignments etc.), and cram before the exams? (i feel i'm on top of things, but that's all i do. i just wanna know whether i'm gonna get wasted by all these people that seem to study shitloads)
same... i just keep myself on top of things as much as i can - i procrastinate heaps and find it enough if i just understand whats going on... 6 hours? really?? 6 hours?????

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Well, it depends on the individual. Always. First semester can be a real walk in the park (unless you do five subjects), besides Acst151 Final. :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)