• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

How hard is Non -12 entry (1 Viewer)

Furls

HSC
N/A
Hi all,

How hard is entry into medicine (undergrad) with a completed degree. I was told you require a GPA of 6.5 for JCU. Is this correct? What about Utas and UNCLE.

hotpot

HSC
Furls said:
Hi all,

How hard is entry into medicine (undergrad) with a completed degree. I was told you require a GPA of 6.5 for JCU. Is this correct? What about Utas and UNCLE.
Utas gpa 6.0
UNCLE gpa 5.5

But both of these two unis takes on board ur umat mark, both of which are actually quiet high.

Furls

HSC
N/A
Thanks, what about JCU. I have been told they may takes grads and GPA required is above 6.5.

turtleface

HSC
Furls said:
Hi all,

Its impossible. You can only enter graduate med with a completed degree.

Furls

HSC
N/A
Impossible, has anyone been successful? Someone must have been successful.

GAMSAT is a Joke. I sat it this year. It started at 8.30am and didn't finish until 5.15pm. Got a score good enough to apply but ACER give you three preferences and you can only sit one interview and if not successful then you don't get interviewed at your next preference. You have to try again next year. It also costs $300 to sit GAMSAT and another $70 approx to apply to uni's.

My advise is try first at undergrad and then grad med as a backup.

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
Furls said:
Impossible, has anyone been successful? Someone must have been successful.

GAMSAT is a Joke. I sat it this year. It started at 8.30am and didn't finish until 5.15pm. Got a score good enough to apply but ACER give you three preferences and you can only sit one interview and if not successful then you don't get interviewed at your next preference. You have to try again next year. It also costs $300 to sit GAMSAT and another $70 approx to apply to uni's.

My advise is try first at undergrad and then grad med as a backup.
It costs $296 to apply for gamsat, and nothing to apply to unis. It is designed to be long.... You are wasting another year if you get into undergrad. And do you really want to be with 17yr olds?

If I may ask, how did you go in gamsat? You can get into unis with pretty low scores...

Ok here are the ppl who have successfully transferred:

One guy with HD average for first year science, transferred to UNSW (umat was also around 180?)
Hotpot with ~6.5GPA and umat of 180-190
Medentrymichelle - GPA 7 -UMAT 190?

Only the last person actually completed a degree.

edit: Hotpot is a little off the mark, its a GPA of close to pass average for a completed degree for UNCLE. Not sure about utas.

Last edited:

Furls

HSC
N/A
It costs you $70 to apply thur ACER with your GAMSAT score. Acer then informs unis that you have applied and with what GPA and GAMSAT score.

I got 56. 56 got interviews at all but UQ, melb and SYD.

Do you know of anyone that has got into JCU with a degree. I am really interested in rural and tropical health. This is why JCU was my first pref for med.

hotpot

HSC
me: gpa ~6.25, 192 umat.
Cutoff for utas is gpa 6.0, and umat cutoff is in the 170's I believe...

Velox, u need to think positive mate! A lot of ppl has been through this process of missing out on their dream course, as long as u dont give up, then there are plenty of oppotunities down the road for you. Just remember that the interviews (or in utas, ur application form) are more important than these numbers.

All you have to do is resit the umat next year, and if ur uai is good enough, u can decide to take a year off or do a sci/healthsci course and ull get the interviews.

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
Furls said:
It costs you $70 to apply thur ACER with your GAMSAT score. Acer then informs unis that you have applied and with what GPA and GAMSAT score.

I got 56. 56 got interviews at all but UQ, melb and SYD.

Do you know of anyone that has got into JCU with a degree. I am really interested in rural and tropical health. This is why JCU was my first pref for med.
I thought you could only have 3 preferences? 56 might scrape you in at ND Perth (which would suit you since they put an emphasis on rural health). I guess UMAT is a better way if you find gamsat hard. (or maybe the only other way unless you knuckle down really hard). Where can I find out about this $70 fee?

Hotpot: You dont realise that furls is at uni, nearly having completed her degree (assuming by her/his posts). And you need numbers to get the interviews ;)

Last edited:

suess

HSC
GPA 6.5 sounds about right.

JCU takes a minimum number of postgraduates into the course. There are a few physiotherapy, pharmacy, podiatry, biomedical science etc. graduates in the program but the overwhelming majority are year 12 leavers.

The rural focus is overstated. There are a number of other medical schools other than JCU which have rural clinical schools if you are interested in that sort of thing.

My advice is to go for graduate entry program.

aussiechica7

HSC
at some uni's there r quotas for non-standards (non yr 12s and non-gap yrs) but at newcastle there isn't.

only like 20 ppl in 1st yr newc med r straight from yr 12. most have taken a gap, done some uni, or r like middle-aged. so its all good.

if u took a non-science undegrad i def recommend doing newc undegrad over some sort of grad entry school. though of course many non-sci background students do well in grad med.

nothing is impossible.

newcastle gpa cutoff: "close to credit average" for incomplete degree and "close to pass average" for complete degree. umat cutoff: last yr, about 187. then it's all interview :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)